Did i mention I hate the cold..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This wimpy old guy likes his comforts, a warm house, warm coats, warm water, heated front seat.* Maybe that’s why I have triple pane windows, extra insulation in attic and two gas stoves to sit by.* Luxuries all, but I dont golf or buy fancy cars (occasionally I get a zoom zoom yen but it passes) or toys of any sort.

The old dog scratched at that front door way too early but I dutifully got up and walked her.*I went to bed early and already had my 7 hours. The truth is i am and always was a morning person. I went down stair and turned the heat up to 68 degrees on both the front rear gas stoves. It was only down to 61 degrees in the living room today, yesterday it was 58 - but it’s warmed up to 30 degrees outside it had been 10 degrees for the previous 2 days. The furnace and rear gas stove are set to 58 degrees after 11PM. I never hear them come on at night. I turn the front stove off. It gets chilly, when I come down and walk the pooch it takes a good 1/2 hour or more for the downstairs to warm up.

We’ve been turning down the heat for decades now- our “point of use” first floor gas stoves are amazingly efficient. I does however get chilly upstairs at night. We burrow under quilts and covers and narry an arm sticks out lest you feel the chill.

I’ve told friends we set the heat low at night and get some strange looks. I think a good many set it and forget it. Even sitting next to ‘her’ stove during the day the Mrs employs a ‘throw’ blanket nearly all the time. Only half way through the winter and I’m already done with it. I been told “I love the winter” I secretly think what is wrong with you?

The older I get the more i hate the cold...

I'm with you. Although, as I have aged I have also become less tolerant of what I consider "hot" weather, and the temperature I consider "hot" has shifted downward. I never liked winter, even as a kid in Cincinnati, shivering away waiting for the school bus to arrive. And then out of ignorance, I moved to Upstate NY, where the winters are deeper, and longer.
When I lived in Cincy, growing up in the 60s, almost nobody I knew had AC, and we didn't consider it "hot" until we got north of 90F. When I moved to NY, people would talk about the "heat" around 80F. After 40 years up there, now I consider it "hot" around 80F.

This is my first winter snowbirding, and I'm in The Villages, about an hour north of Orlando, and 5 hours north of where my folks wintered, in the Naples area. I was worried it wouldn't be balmy and tropical enough for me here, but it has been just about ideal. Many days feel like those perfect Autumn days, 60s, sunny, no humidity. Reports from back home confirm I did the right thing; snow, rain, freezing rain, and soon will start a 10 day stretch when the temp is not expected to be higher than mid 20s, with some sub-zero nights. Nope, not for me. Not anymore.

HadEnuff: <b>“This is my first winter snowbirding, and I'm in The Villages, about an hour north of Orlando” </b>

May I ask how are liking the Villages so far? My sister took one of those try it out weeks and said it was Disneyland for old people?

It's -27 F here in Central Minnesota this morning. (That's not the windchill. Just the temp.)

The high in the ten-day is 11 above zero on Feb 3; speaking from previous cold snap experience, that will feel very warm. Once we crawl into the 20s, everyone will be outside in t-shirts and shorts.

If you aren't a "people person" you probably wouldn't like it here. I've heard the "Disneyland for Old People" thing, and it's not totally inaccurate. It is planned out to a "T", but well planned. They have some "Town Squares" with shopping and restaurants and music stand with free entertainment every night. There are currently 3 such squares, with "themes", e.g. one is called "Sumter Landing" and it is on a lake, and all of the buildings are supposed to look like some low-country fishing town, and it's all made up. All make believe. Even the historical plaques commemorate stuff that never happened. But it's clean, it's comfortable. The people are very very friendly, very active, and aging well. Almost nobody here smokes. You see folks running, cycling, golfing, and pickleball is huge. They roll up the sidewalks about 9PM, because most everybody is tired from moving around all day. It is a "golf cart" community, and especially the newer areas are well planned to keep the carts and the cars out of each-other's way. Some of the older sections are not as well planned that way, but it still works quite well. I like it. I enjoy conversing with people I've known for 5 minutes. Hearing their life stories, and telling my own.
I am struck by how happy folks are to be here. If DW were as enamored of it as I am, we would probably be doing what the locals call "drinking the Kool-Aid" and shopping for a place of our own. Which we don't need. Really we don't. Renting will make much more sense financially, and hassle-wise...but the Kool-Aid looks really tasty....

If you aren't a "people person" you probably wouldn't like it here. I've heard the "Disneyland for Old People" thing, and it's not totally inaccurate. It is planned out to a "T", but well planned. They have some "Town Squares" with shopping and restaurants and music stand with free entertainment every night. There are currently 3 such squares, with "themes", e.g. one is called "Sumter Landing" and it is on a lake, and all of the buildings are supposed to look like some low-country fishing town, and it's all made up. All make believe. Even the historical plaques commemorate stuff that never happened. But it's clean, it's comfortable. The people are very very friendly, very active, and aging well. Almost nobody here smokes. You see folks running, cycling, golfing, and pickleball is huge. They roll up the sidewalks about 9PM, because most everybody is tired from moving around all day. It is a "golf cart" community, and especially the newer areas are well planned to keep the carts and the cars out of each-other's way. Some of the older sections are not as well planned that way, but it still works quite well. I like it. I enjoy conversing with people I've known for 5 minutes. Hearing their life stories, and telling my own.
I am struck by how happy folks are to be here. If DW were as enamored of it as I am, we would probably be doing what the locals call "drinking the Kool-Aid" and shopping for a place of our own. Which we don't need. Really we don't. Renting will make much more sense financially, and hassle-wise...but the Kool-Aid looks really tasty....
Villages are a great place to retire if you can afford it. The average Florida cracker retiring just on SS - it’s a pipe dream to live there. Be careful on the golf cart. A few years ago an out of car lost control and crashed into a golf cart and the resident on the golf cart didn’t make it.

Villages are a great place to retire if you can afford it. The average Florida cracker retiring just on SS - it’s a pipe dream to live there. Be careful on the golf cart. A few years ago an out of car lost control and crashed into a golf cart and the resident on the golf cart didn’t make it.

Yes, golf carts aren't toys. You can definitely get hurt on them, and with a 100,000 or so people zipping around on them, accidents do happen. If you've spent much time in Florida in the winter, you know that it gets crowded, and automobile traffic is a problem. Having the local population kind of split up between cars and golf carts alleviates that somewhat. But still gotta be careful.

No this place isn't for folks relying solely on SS to get by, but I'm not sure what point you are making. A lot of nice places aren't designed to accommodate people living solely on SS, and very few folks living on SS can afford to migrate north and south to avoid weather extremes.

It's -27 F here in Central Minnesota this morning. (That's not the windchill. Just the temp.)

The high in the ten-day is 11 above zero on Feb 3; speaking from previous cold snap experience, that will feel very warm. Once we crawl into the 20s, everyone will be outside in t-shirts and shorts.

OMG i assume every car is plugged in or in a garage?

Yes, golf carts aren't toys. You can definitely get hurt on them, and with a 100,000 or so people zipping around on them, accidents do happen. If you've spent much time in Florida in the winter, you know that it gets crowded, and automobile traffic is a problem. Having the local population kind of split up between cars and golf carts alleviates that somewhat. But still gotta be careful.

No this place isn't for folks relying solely on SS to get by, but I'm not sure what point you are making. A lot of nice places aren't designed to accommodate people living solely on SS, and very few folks living on SS can afford to migrate north and south to avoid weather extremes.
Live in Florida for many years. Automobile / pedestrian accidents among highest in nation. Arrive alive. Enjoy your stay!

I find that far more people give me strange looks when I tell them I have the heat at 68F at night and 72F in the day. I don't understand the number of people who have the funds but try to exist at low temperatures, unless they are naturally hot, which many are. My millionaire relative had her heat set at 64 most of the time. I had layers and layers on. Another person I know actually got "chillblains" from having her heat set so low. It seems to be a reflex for the majority.

Now, where I shine is in hot weather. I never have the AC set below 80, and I seldom use it. Heat and humidity = better breathing, sleeveless, good skin.

I find that far more people give me strange looks when I tell them I have the heat at 68F at night and 72F in the day. I don't understand the number of people who have the funds but try to exist at low temperatures, unless they are naturally hot, which many are. My millionaire relative had her heat set at 64 most of the time. I had layers and layers on. Another person I know actually got "chillblains" from having her heat set so low. It seems to be a reflex for the majority.

Now, where I shine is in hot weather. I never have the AC set below 80, and I seldom use it. Heat and humidity = better breathing, sleeveless, good skin.

DGF likes it warm, so heat is set in FLA for 74 during the day and 73 at night.
A/C set at 77/78.
There are other ways to save money.:D

I hate the cold too. I have had frostbite numerous times, and my fingers and toes burn when the temps get below freezing. Shoveling snow is a nightmare. I fell through the lake ice, got stuck in the snow drifts, and failed to avoid deer collisions on icy roads while spending winters at our Illinois home.

We now snowbird to az for three months a year, but we still get some of the Illinois cold in December and early April. It’s -5° in Illinois now while we have a string of sunny 70° days ahead in az. All is well.

We are doing our first month long "getaway from MN" and are staying in the Clearwater, FL area. The single digit highs, negative lows of the next 2 weeks forecast are exactly why we escaped.

Played golf 6 times down here - going back in 2 weeks - hoping we will have avoided the brunt of the winter.

Just wondering - how long is the term of your rental and how much space do you get and for what price per month?

This year I rented for January-March. Because I was doing the arranging while still up north, a year ago BTW, I went through an agency. By the time they got their share, I spend around 14K, and it included the use of a golf cart. It's a very nice place, not fancy at all, but nice. Plenty of room. Master BR with huge bath, shower and walk in closet, 2nd bath down the hall, next to two guest BRs. Very spacious kitchen, with dining area, large LR, smallish but adequate screened in "lanai"...more than enough space for the two of us and we may have one or two couples visit for a few days...

Once I got settled in I started searching for a slightly different place. This one is conveniently located, but a bit too close to a fairly noisy road, so I wanted something in a quieter neighborhood. I have arranged to rent it next year, December-March, 12,400, but I have to rent my own cart, which will set me back 1150. Nicer home, bigger, quieter...still convenient to most places I will want to get to.

Happily, our homes are typically *very* well-insulated up here. While the garage isn't heated, it share two walls with the house and is typically 10-20° F warmer than the Great Outdoors.

It is 5 degrees here this morning light wind. It is actually one of the better over night lows for sometime now. We will be mid 30's for the weekend and snow.

We live in northern US (100 miles from Canada) so we know what weather is all about here. We keep our heat set at 67 during the day and 62 degrees at night.

I for one don't love the cold but I love all outdoor winter activities I do. Winter can be a fun time for the outdoor minded person and a beautiful time to reflect and see the change of seasons. The nice thing it is never crowded here no lines to fight and no traffic to battle. LOL

We turn ours down to 63 at night. Usually at about 10pm even though i seldom go to bed before midnight.

We hate the cold as well. We have spent winters in either Thailand or Costa Rica/Panama since retiring. When we leave we turn the thermostat down to 58/60.

The one thing I have an issue with when it's freezing cold out when I visit family is it makes me eat more than I really need to. When the weather's warm and the drinks are ice cold, then I'm a happy camper.

It's -27 F here in Central Minnesota this morning
. (That's not the windchill. Just the temp.)

This must be what is coming our way. Expected to be -24 Sunday Morning.

I won't be out in shorts and t- shirts, but if the sun is shining, long sleeve t shirt and a comfy flannel will be plenty.

What we like about winter is that there are those special "warm" and sunny days. Same goes when spring starts to show. You can see the rebirth in the local fauna and you can feel it in yourself.

Last edited:

Not in a garage unfortunately, but on the list to have ours rebuilt. The newer vehicle is 2 inches to tall for the original door. Guess we should have measured.

When we first lived here, 40+ years ago, we would dig a shelf out of the snow piles and drive the hood onto the pile. Helped to stop the wind. Then and now we lived in town and could walk to our destination.

Most of the older garages here have a definite lean. Ours has a 1" steel cable tensioning system to help keep the side from blowing out from the weight of the snow on the roof.

HadEnuff: <b>“This is my first winter snowbirding, and I'm in The Villages, about an hour north of Orlando” </b>

May I ask how are liking the Villages so far? My sister took one of those try it out weeks and said it was Disneyland for old people?

The Villages is great for retired people who like a busy lifestyle and a lot of people. I prefer my Uncle's much smaller community on the west end of Leesburg. Close enough to visit The Villages as often as you want without dealing with the crazy crowds on a daily basis. Less expensive too.

We hate it so much we’re south 750 miles this year. It was -2F here this AM, enough of that. The new location averages 20F warmer in winter but only 5F warmer in summer. Annual average snow fall is 90% less than Chicagoland. Really looking forward to it.

It's about the same up here.

Virtually everyone up here has a block heater. I've taken it a step further and also have a battery tender that I plug in one or twice a week. That allows me to use the heated seats and heated steering wheel a lot without worrying about draining the battery.

It has been plenty cold here in Southern VT this year. I keep the house at 67 degrees except my bedroom is at 55 degrees. Never think about it being a money thing, I just like to sleep in a cool environ. You can always pull on another sweat shirt or additional flannel pj pants.
And any warmer than about 70 degrees and the dogs pant

Back
Top Bottom