Join Early Retirement Today

Dining Room?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Dining Room?

We are thinking of building a house and don't see the need for a formal dining room, at least for us if we have a large breakfast room to eat in. We were wondering if it would negatively affect resale value. Anyone have any ideas on the subject?
Thanks!
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on the price of the house and what all the other houses in the retail market have for dining. So many of the new houses have open floorplans.

We've inherited so much china, crystal and silver flatware that we have to have the dining room. Our 8 year old grandson just loves to set the table and eat formally.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Depends on the house. A McMansion would need one, so would one with a more formal look. I have an eating counter in my kitchen, and a semi-formal dining area on the other side of the counter, also open to the living room. I have a nice but not super-formal table and buffet (serves as my liquor cabinet) in it, but it could take a dinette set as well. It's a pretty nice house but open and somewhat contemporary. I'm not worried about it hurting resale but where I live I don't see many formal dining rooms.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Dining rooms are still expected in many upscale homes, maybe contact an experienced real-estate agent in your area to get a feel for this--depends on your location, style of home, price.

I think they are a total waste for our family. In your shoes, I might consider a design with a room that could be a hobby room/study etc for you guys and then converted to a dining room when you sell. If you design it with a future reconfiguration in mind (e.g. header and rough framing for a door to the kitchen, but just walled over for now. Box for a chandelier in the middle, but holds a regular light fixture now, etc), it can be relatively easy to change later.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

I think they are a giant waste in smaller homes but if you are building a 4 bedroom 3 bath it will be expected .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I second samclem's suggestion. We have a breakfast room and a dining room. We use the breakfast room as an office and eat in the dining room, but you could easily do the opposite.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Dining Room?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Dining Room?

I third samclem's suggestion. It gives the op the flexibility use the room the way they want yet retain possible use as a dining room for a future buyer. We have a dining room - gets used one day a year. I only go in there once a year. I could use it for something else if I needed to.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My last house had a large dining room, which I used as a home gym. It was great for that purpose.

Some people really need a formal dining room, but I don't. If you don't need one either, but are reluctant to omit a dining room for resale reasons, you could include one and use it for an office, home gym, or other purpose.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My next house isn't going to have a dining room. Of course it's not going to have a formal living room or a foyer either. I think there's going to be a big market for 1 or 2 bedroom houses with a big den, big kitchen with eating area, and a big utility area and garage, all on one floor. Who needs all those rooms we never use. I'd love to build it and live in it for most of the rest of my life. I'm sure there'd be someone out there that would like the same concept and would buy it when I'm finished with it.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One home we rented had a big "bonus room" over the garage. Our family spent more time there than anywhere else. DW had her desk and craft items, I had my computer, desk, "comfy chair" in another corner, and DD had her desk for homework, being online, reading books, etc there, too. It wasn't in the main "flow" of the house, so it didn't need to be kept neat all the time, either. It was good for us.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

As the others have said, who knows.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Depends on the size of the house for one thing. There are lots of homes under 2500 sqft being built these days without formal dining or living rooms. Most have one large kitchen-dining-family room - "open concept." A larger house would probably have to have formal dining.

Our formal dining room has become an off season sail locker. We sold the rosewood dining set a few years ago, just got tired of looking at it and never using it...room for more sails. We've been poaching furniture from our formal living room for a few years, it'll be empty eventually. Our next house won't have a formal living or dining room.

I know some people love to entertain family and/or friends in a formal dining room, but I also know a lot of people who have quit entertaining that way too. We'd rather meet our friends out at a nice restaurant, or a play, or a concert more often - and just for drinks at home occasionally. Can't remember the last time we put on a formal sit down dinner for guests at home. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
Administrator

We have a formal dining room and we eat dinner in it every night, with the full complement of linen, silver and china. But I suspect we are unusual in this regard.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We have a formal dining room and we eat dinner in it every night, with the full complement of linen, silver and china. But I suspect we are unusual in this regard.
My parents still do too. DW & I never. Times change?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #15

I agree a larger house it is still kind of expected.

Given that, I think formal dining room and formal living room are both a huge waste of space. I would rather have a great room for the family room area and no formal living room. Give the dining room space up for an office or similar use type area.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We actually have a small old house with a separate living room, a dining room, remodeled kitchen, and family room on the first floor. We love using all four rooms throughout every day starting in the living room in the early morning for coffee and online newspaper and ending in the family room in the evening with the TV. Dinners aren't as lovely as Gumby's but they usually are in the dining room, sometimes at the kitchen counter. Funny when we raised our kids the dining room was the homework center and the unremodeled kitchen had an old farmhouse table that we almost always ate everyday meals at . But great times with friends and family there, and it's so much more fun and easier cooking now vs the old kitchen that we often have friends over for an easy dinner.

Depending on your area and neighborhood and lifestyle, of course, having the separate space for a dining room might be nice--use it however it works for you now, and the eventual next owners can do what works for them.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Does Mr. Carson ring the dinner gong when it's time to eat?
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We do sit at the table for dinner every night, but the good China and linens sit unused in the sideboard.

Open plan here, but I confess we built our house with almost no regard for resale value. It is perfect for us, though.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #19

With the trend towards open concept/great room - I think you can omit a separate room for dining room these days.

We have 2 "open" spaces downstairs - a kitchen/family room and a living/dining room (L shaped). We use the dining room portion for formal meals (company over, or special meals)... our family room area has a large kitchen table in it (rather than a couch) - and it's where we eat every night and where the kids do homework. Most of our neighbors have a tv viewing area set up in the same space.

The dining room table is also used for other purposes - currently one end has DH's paperwork for the financial report on his mom that he has to submit, and the rest of the table was used to build and EV3 robot yesterday by my robotics kids.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #20
Administrator

We appreciate our separate dining room. We don't use it daily but we do use it frequently, and like Gumby, enjoy the linens, nice tableware, and rituals (I presume) that accompany it.

Going through DM's things last week, I found a small glass bell that was a 50th wedding anniversary gift for my grandparents. We will certainly use it the next time we have guests, and fondly remember those nice people.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote