Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Can psychics really contact the spirits of dead people?
NO WAY they are con artists plain and simple 74 77.89%
I doubt it but I do think there is some chance it's for real 14 14.74%
It might be just fraud but I think it's probably for real 3 3.16%
It's DEFINITELY for real they actually talk to the spirits 4 4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Tall blond Phd, Tulane - I tested INTJ. .
Yeah in the days of the company of Marie Brizard, my Thinking was Judgmental as well, among other things.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #22

I believe, I BELIEVE!!

Well, I think some people have a keener sense of the things unseen. I would even venture to say that it is scientifically proven. (Not talking to the dead part, but the fact that some people have more paranormal abilities than others, but I know some universities, including Stanford here, have had some studies like that done in the past.)

I have seen on TV one time of this guy who was legally blind but he could walk without any trouble because he could detect objects around him (I think he used his mouth to make noise and determined the way the noise reflected back to him to find out if he was close to hitting something, but I saw this segment a few years ago and I cannot remember exactly how he did it...). Not many blind people can do that, but this guy could. He somehow developed an extraordinary sensory ability to do things average people cannot.

My point is, just because I don't have much of the 6th sense doesn't mean others don't.

This is not to say all the psychics have extraordinary abilities to see the unseen. I believe majority of them are out there to take advantage of the vulnerable and desparate.

tmm

Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My neighbor believes in psychics, crystals, naturopaths and every other woo-woo thing out there. Funny, though. You would have thought a psychic would have been able to tell her her husband was a pathetically bad businessman who wouldn't be able to retire because he can't save.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

That characteristic thing I can never grasp. I am either ENTJ or ESTJ, don't know if I am more intuition or sensing. On one hand, I like to deal with facts as opposed to the abstract, however, I can often justify myself going for my gut feeling most of the time.

I would say ESTJ.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #25

Well, I had an interesting experience with one. We were at a friends' house. She was sponsoring a medium and we paid $20 to hear him along with 30 or so other people. It was very interesting. He contacted my wife's late mother. (He didn't know my wife's name and it is different than mine). He knew two of my wife's brothers' names (Dennis and Eugene (not common names)). He knew that Eugene was dead and Dennis was a teacher. He knew my FIL was dead also. He knew some other family stuff. My wife is from a small town in Montana so family stories would not be common knowledge down here in Phoenix. He was wrong on one or two things and there was a story about a Buick that we could never verify. We have never heard from him again asking for more money or even a referral.

So, I thought it was very eye opening. I have no better explanation, given the information that he presented other than he was psychic and received that information through some unexplained connection.

Go figure.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

In my opinion, being a psychic is an easy way to make a good living separating people who want to believe from their cash....

If psychics gave away their insight and advice for free for the good of mankind, I'd be a lot less skeptical.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, I thought it was very eye opening. I have no better explanation, given the information that he presented other than he was psychic and received that information through some unexplained connection.
Maybe he told the same thing to 10,000 people and you're the only one that it matched up with?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzley View Post
In my opinion, being a psychic is an easy way to make a good living separating people who want to believe from their cash....
Interesting. Do you think it's a prereq for being a hedge fund manager or just really helps?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Maybe he told the same thing to 10,000 people and you're the only one that it matched up with?
Well, he gave readings to several other people in the room that they confirmed as accurate. That just increases the odds. And Dennis and Eugene are not the most common of names, especially since only her mom called him Eugene (he went by the name of Merc).
Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzley View Post

If psychics gave away their insight and advice for free for the good of mankind, I'd be a lot less skeptical.
Next you'll be asking economists to share their insights for free.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

One time I sat in a room full of 100 verified practicing psychics, all of which admitted to the fact that their practice was a sham and then each went on to sign an affidavit, under penalty of perjury, that restated that their practice was a sham.

Does this fact have any bearing on the veracity or falsehood of the claim that psychics can contact the dead?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #32

just to clarify terminology: though mediumship presumes psychicness, psychicness does not necessarily imply mediumship. even to roll the die one through six and then six back to one again in order and with no mistakes does not a medium make, nor does it prove connection beyond commonly perceived life.

& simply to clarify implication: even if all of life communicates with all of life all the time, and even if information (once conjured?) survives eternal, what proof is there of "life beyond" even if some parlor trick actually does retrieve information from the so-called ethers?

buddhists believe reincarnation, if occuring, happens within just a few weeks of death (i think it is supposedly some 50odd days). so perhaps, at best, the medium is just fooling you by "talking" to evil spirits disguised as your loved one. boo!

often hope if false but i have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow. sometimes faith and false hope is all we really have. regardless, i think it is safe to say that life is for the living.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I've seen written papers in peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals that indicate that paranormal and supernatural activity isn't real. We're talking Oxford, MIT, Harvard - reputable places, folks. You can't deny it.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #34

Enrollment available NOW: http://www.psychic-junkie.com/psychic-schools.html
Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whenever we pass a rundown storefront with a "Palm Reader" sign, I always say to my wife, "You know why they don't take appts, right?" And she always wearily replies "Cause they know you're coming by?"

Once I asked my brother if he took physics in high school and my Dad popped up with "No, he always went by himself." Good old-fashioned joke.

Mike D.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #36

Some years ago on the outskirts of Baltimore the cops raided a psychic's place of business. Raid was successful. Cops were joking: she shouda seen it coming.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I voted no way like 75% of you folks. I have always thought the paranormal, ESP, psy-chicks and the like are pulling my leg and do not really believe in this stuff. Of course, there are probably a good number of folks who may think me a bit wacky for believing in God. So I guess it all balances out in the wash.

What the heck, as long as you don't get too carried away with our individual wackyness~play on.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Of course they exist. Did I ever tell you about my (former) friend who consulted one before seeing her FA about buying an annuity. Yes, it's all about moolah.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
How can you not believe in physics?
"what happens if you throw a volume of the encyclopedia britannica down a black hole?"

Black hole information paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Well, he gave readings to several other people in the room that they confirmed as accurate. That just increases the odds. And Dennis and Eugene are not the most common of names, especially since only her mom called him Eugene (he went by the name of Merc).
He ran all your license plates before he came in for dinner?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote