Do you cook? What’d you cook today?

when I lived in Germany, I developed a fondness (actually more of an insane obsession) for curry ketchup.

Germans have some interesting items.
When I go there I always bring back some packaged spices to make obatzda at home.

Easy enough to make with entirely local ingredients, but the stuff I buy over there just seems better.

DH did all the grilling while he was alive. I like to think I'm not bound by gender stereotypes (I was, after all, the Chief Investment Officer in the marriage), but I never touched the grill except to turn or baste what was cooking on occasion. We had an easy-to-use propane grill but I was always worried something would blow up. After DH died I didn't touch it for almost 6 months, then had a friend walk me through it step-by-step (and reassure me that an explosion was EXTREMELY unlikely). It still took me months to venture out and use it. That was until last week. Wow. It's really not that hard!

I don't eat a lot of meat but I LOVE vegetables and stuck a few on skewers and added a simple marinade of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Fantastic. I think I've used the grill 5 out of the last 7 days. Bonus: it keeps the heat from cooking out of the kitchen.

First, sorry for your loss.

One of our favorite grilled veggies is Japanese eggplant. We brush on olive oil as they're cooking. As they finish, we add some Hoisin sauce. Scrumptious!

DW doesn't grill a lot (some). I do most, but she will use the side burner often to keep the heat outside in NC summers. She is also considerate to use it when cooking some of her Korean food, where the cooking odors can be a little - - - off putting! :yuk:

Germans have some interesting items.
When I go there I always bring back some packaged spices to make obatzda at home.

Easy enough to make with entirely local ingredients, but the stuff I buy over there just seems better.

Good to know. Deutschland has great meats and cheeses (or course - so does Europe in general) along with the awesome grog. I'm there in September and will make a note to sample some. Like most German food, it looks a little on the heavy side, but that's okay. I am (mostly) good at portion control. :D

About the local ingredients - it's def a real thing. DW hauls back a lot when she goes home to Korea. Between trips, her sister sends care packages. Sometimes, it gets trapped in customs, and she start fretting. I have to talk her off the ledge. I remind her that as long as there are no drugs of fresh produce, there's nothing to worry about. :(

Do you by chance have a recipe for the eggplant sauce? I'm always looking for new ways to use the prolific japanese eggplant my garden is producing.

Sorry, but I don't have the recipe. I bought the sauce with the eggplant and artichokes already in it.

I do make eggplant quite often either steamed or in the crock pot. In the crock pot I sometimes add pasta sauce, garbanzo beans, celery and onions and serve it with grated cheese and sunflower seeds on top. Or we just steam or slow cook a big batch of eggplant and keep it in the fridge to use for stir fries.

Spaghetti sauce... IMG_0477.JPGIMG_0478.JPG

Last edited:
Been craving pizza really bad and almost got it on my birthday a few days ago but was trumped by my mom and wife with Chinese food. As like usual if I want to eat it I gotta do it myself, I have a crust proofing in the oven right now, feeling lazy to go to the store for mushrooms so I’m just making a simple sausage pizza but I’ll probably eat the whole thing myself.

Back
Top Bottom