Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty sron accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.

The initial learning curve started with a two page article in what in remember is the the New York Daily News about the FBI. It was a long and painful process.

At the beginninnig had to look up nearly every word in an English/Hungarian dictionary, then after a few paragraphs used mostly an English dictionary. The problem was that in order to understand the explanation (definition) generally had to look up about ten more words, which was true of the newly looked up. So overall roughly for each new word, had to look up between 60 to 120 new words initially, and many had to be looked up in translation as well. Bloody painful.

Anywhoo, it took about two months of several hours a day reading to get to the end of the article. A year and change later got drafted, I enlisted before the draft date, and truly advanced English learning commenced in the form of DI guidance, counseling and directions (look that up on youtube) and southern slang from fellow recruits in the barracks. Also learned in great detail how to describe nearly everything with F.. words and synonyms.

Also learned the Spanish words No Comprende, though those fellows had no trouble with understanding the command Fall Out, or Smoke em if you got them, or chow.

No I did not bother to take the test.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty sron accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.

The initial learning curve started with a two page article in what in remember is the the New York Daily News about the FBI. It was a long and painful process.

At the beginninnig had to look up nearly every word in an English/Hungarian dictionary, then after a few paragraphs used mostly an English dictionary. The problem was that in order to understand the explanation (definition) generally had to look up about ten more words, which was true of the newly looked up. So overall roughly for each new word, had to look up between 60 to 120 new words initially, and many had to be looked up in translation as well. Bloody painful.

Anywhoo, it took about two months of several hours a day reading to get to the end of the article. A year and change later got drafted, I enlisted before the draft date, and truly advanced English learning commenced in the form of DI guidance, counseling and directions (look that up on youtube) and southern slang from fellow recruits in the barracks. Also learned in great detail how to describe nearly everything with F.. words and synonyms.
Our kids' parents-in-law all speak English as a second language (three different languages as the first language). You and all of them get a pass on spelling of English words--I have so much respect and admiration for the hard work in learning to speak English or any other language well enough to use it every day, all day.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Also learned in great detail how to describe nearly everything with F.. words and synonyms.
Buddy & I caught a couple rides, (all four of us were hitchhiking), in Turkey 53 years ago, with two German guys; one had worked in London as a waiter in order to improve his English.....it was his contention that F*** was the most flexible and multifaceted word he ever learned.

He figured it covered all eight parts of speech — verbs, nouns, pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.......and, whatever the context it was used in, people automatically knew exactly what was meant.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty sron accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent. ...
Interesting. I spent a few weeks in Hungary, and I'm not sure I could place a Hungarian accent. Sort of a blend of the Eastern European Polish/Czech accent and a Turkish/Greek accent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Our kids' parents-in-law all speak English as a second language (three different languages as the first language). You and all of them get a pass on spelling of English words--I have so much respect and admiration for the hard work in learning to speak English or any other language well enough to use it every day, all day.
Agreed. Geez, I struggle finding the right terms in the language I've spoken my whole life. I'd be scared to try to converse in another language - the twist of a phrase in English can completely change the meaning. I'd be in constant fear of saying exactly the opposite of what I meant, and/or insulting people. I am amazed that people can pick this up if they weren't born into it.

-ERD50
Old 10-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm very ocd for spelling. Interesting that spellcheck tried to change ocd to odd??
Recently received a pre-release novel from an author I enjoy reading and find about 6 misspellings and misused words. He was very surprised since he paid a proof reader to catch these. But I usually can catch misspells since they stand out to me.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
He was very surprised since he paid a proof reader to catch these. But I usually can catch misspells since they stand out to me.
Twenty years ago my late wife and I temporarily operated a B&B on an island in British Columbia.....the local Chamber of Commerce/Tourist Bureau (or whatever they called themselves), had a color tourism brochure printed incorporating a variety of outlets and tourism draws - it was full of misspellings.

Went to their office and asked why they didn't proofread - "Oh, yes we did" was the response....to which I replied that putting out crap like that after it was (supposedly) proofread was an even worse reflection on them than saying it hadn't been done at all.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I worked as a proofreader for a couple of weeks many (many many) years ago. They made us read back to front so we weren't distracted by meaningful sentences. This was just for misspellings, they had another group for homonyms and grammar. Worst job ever (except food service).
Old 10-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
They made us read back to front
Tluciffid eb dluow tnorf ot kcab gnidaer.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I got 4 wrong, but I am not a native speaker of English. I spent the first half of my life back home in Asia, then second half in Los Angeles. Turns out, my language skills for both my native tongue and English are poor. Pretty frustrating actually.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Tluciffid eb dluow tnorf ot kcab gnidaer.
lol!. It would actually have been "difficult be would front to back reading", which might actually explain Yoda's speech patterns. He was a proofreader before going into Jedi-ing.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #51

Quote:
My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty strong accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.
Hopefully you won't take offense at this but that reminded me of this clip from "My Fair Lady". So are you also descended from royalty?

Old 10-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I can write with no spelling errors but misspell words frequently when typing. Why is that?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Select the correct spelling of the following word: (The word is "ask" as in "Ask me what word is continually mispronounced on TeeVee and in day to day speech").

AXE ASK AXX

"I AXXED him" has a whole different meaning than "I ASKED him".

I got 15/15, but spelling is in my DNA....my Mom did the Sunday NY Times crossword with a pen!!!
Old 10-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
In Ebonics it's a synonym.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #55

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I can write with no spelling errors but misspell words frequently when typing. Why is that?
Your speed of transcription matches your mental process.

(Or maybe you are just a crappy typist?)
Old 10-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Select the correct spelling of the following word: (The word is "ask" as in "Ask me what word is continually mispronounced on TeeVee and in day to day speech").

AXE ASK AXX

I got 15/15, but spelling is in my DNA....my Mom did the Sunday NY Times crossword with a pen!!!

Ax is actually the correct pronunciation for ask but no longer used by most people.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Ax is actually the correct pronunciation for ask but no longer used by most people.

I recently watched a youtube video with closed captioning on. When the person said " and then he axed me about..." the closed caption read "and then he asked me about...". Not sure what to make of that, but I guess "axed" is not universally accepted to be as correct as "ask".

-ERD50
Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #58

13/15 correct and I consider myself a relatively poor speller. Still, the words used were, for the most part, the "problem" words which I had already committed to memory -just because they are problem words. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hopefully you won't take offense at this but that reminded me of this clip from "My Fair Lady". So are you also descended from royalty?

Not a problem at all. My early Army training immunized me from the folly of getting offended. It is interesting that he mis-pronunces Budapest, and for Yes, he say jawohl, which is German.
As for the royalty bit, I did not choose my parents well. Born and grew up in what gratuitously could be upgraded to a ghetto.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #60

Seeems the English can't speak english.