Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,489
My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty sron accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.

The initial learning curve started with a two page article in what in remember is the the New York Daily News about the FBI. It was a long and painful process.

At the beginninnig had to look up nearly every word in an English/Hungarian dictionary, then after a few paragraphs used mostly an English dictionary. The problem was that in order to understand the explanation (definition) generally had to look up about ten more words, which was true of the newly looked up. So overall roughly for each new word, had to look up between 60 to 120 new words initially, and many had to be looked up in translation as well. Bloody painful.

Anywhoo, it took about two months of several hours a day reading to get to the end of the article. A year and change later got drafted, I enlisted before the draft date, and truly advanced English learning commenced in the form of DI guidance, counseling and directions (look that up on youtube) and southern slang from fellow recruits in the barracks. Also learned in great detail how to describe nearly everything with F.. words and synonyms.

Also learned the Spanish words No Comprende, though those fellows had no trouble with understanding the command Fall Out, or Smoke em if you got them, or chow.

No I did not bother to take the test.
__________________

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty sron accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.

The initial learning curve started with a two page article in what in remember is the the New York Daily News about the FBI. It was a long and painful process.

At the beginninnig had to look up nearly every word in an English/Hungarian dictionary, then after a few paragraphs used mostly an English dictionary. The problem was that in order to understand the explanation (definition) generally had to look up about ten more words, which was true of the newly looked up. So overall roughly for each new word, had to look up between 60 to 120 new words initially, and many had to be looked up in translation as well. Bloody painful.

Anywhoo, it took about two months of several hours a day reading to get to the end of the article. A year and change later got drafted, I enlisted before the draft date, and truly advanced English learning commenced in the form of DI guidance, counseling and directions (look that up on youtube) and southern slang from fellow recruits in the barracks. Also learned in great detail how to describe nearly everything with F.. words and synonyms.
....
Our kids' parents-in-law all speak English as a second language (three different languages as the first language). You and all of them get a pass on spelling of English words--I have so much respect and admiration for the hard work in learning to speak English or any other language well enough to use it every day, all day.
__________________

__________________

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Also learned in great detail how to describe nearly everything with F.. words and synonyms.
Buddy & I caught a couple rides, (all four of us were hitchhiking), in Turkey 53 years ago, with two German guys; one had worked in London as a waiter in order to improve his English.....it was his contention that F*** was the most flexible and multifaceted word he ever learned.

He figured it covered all eight parts of speech — verbs, nouns, pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.......and, whatever the context it was used in, people automatically knew exactly what was meant.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty sron accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent. ...
Interesting. I spent a few weeks in Hungary, and I'm not sure I could place a Hungarian accent. Sort of a blend of the Eastern European Polish/Czech accent and a Turkish/Greek accent?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Our kids' parents-in-law all speak English as a second language (three different languages as the first language). You and all of them get a pass on spelling of English words--I have so much respect and admiration for the hard work in learning to speak English or any other language well enough to use it every day, all day.
Agreed. Geez, I struggle finding the right terms in the language I've spoken my whole life. I'd be scared to try to converse in another language - the twist of a phrase in English can completely change the meaning. I'd be in constant fear of saying exactly the opposite of what I meant, and/or insulting people. I am amazed that people can pick this up if they weren't born into it.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 249
I'm very ocd for spelling. Interesting that spellcheck tried to change ocd to odd??
Recently received a pre-release novel from an author I enjoy reading and find about 6 misspellings and misused words. He was very surprised since he paid a proof reader to catch these. But I usually can catch misspells since they stand out to me.
__________________
You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
He was very surprised since he paid a proof reader to catch these. But I usually can catch misspells since they stand out to me.
Twenty years ago my late wife and I temporarily operated a B&B on an island in British Columbia.....the local Chamber of Commerce/Tourist Bureau (or whatever they called themselves), had a color tourism brochure printed incorporating a variety of outlets and tourism draws - it was full of misspellings.

Went to their office and asked why they didn't proofread - "Oh, yes we did" was the response....to which I replied that putting out crap like that after it was (supposedly) proofread was an even worse reflection on them than saying it hadn't been done at all.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 5,853
I worked as a proofreader for a couple of weeks many (many many) years ago. They made us read back to front so we weren't distracted by meaningful sentences. This was just for misspellings, they had another group for homonyms and grammar. Worst job ever (except food service).
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
They made us read back to front
Tluciffid eb dluow tnorf ot kcab gnidaer.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 321
I got 4 wrong, but I am not a native speaker of English. I spent the first half of my life back home in Asia, then second half in Los Angeles. Turns out, my language skills for both my native tongue and English are poor. Pretty frustrating actually.
__________________
fh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Tluciffid eb dluow tnorf ot kcab gnidaer.
lol!. It would actually have been "difficult be would front to back reading", which might actually explain Yoda's speech patterns. He was a proofreader before going into Jedi-ing.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #51
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 14,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty strong accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.
Hopefully you won't take offense at this but that reminded me of this clip from "My Fair Lady". So are you also descended from royalty?

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 349
I can write with no spelling errors but misspell words frequently when typing. Why is that?


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
tinlizzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Upstate Ruralia
Posts: 245
Select the correct spelling of the following word: (The word is "ask" as in "Ask me what word is continually mispronounced on TeeVee and in day to day speech").

AXE ASK AXX

"I AXXED him" has a whole different meaning than "I ASKED him".

I got 15/15, but spelling is in my DNA....my Mom did the Sunday NY Times crossword with a pen!!!
__________________
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
"I AXXED him" has a whole different meaning than "I ASKED him".
In Ebonics it's a synonym.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 4,539
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I can write with no spelling errors but misspell words frequently when typing. Why is that?
Your speed of transcription matches your mental process.

(Or maybe you are just a crappy typist?)
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Select the correct spelling of the following word: (The word is "ask" as in "Ask me what word is continually mispronounced on TeeVee and in day to day speech").

AXE ASK AXX

"I AXXED him" has a whole different meaning than "I ASKED him".

I got 15/15, but spelling is in my DNA....my Mom did the Sunday NY Times crossword with a pen!!!

Ax is actually the correct pronunciation for ask but no longer used by most people.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
tinlizzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Ax is actually the correct pronunciation for ask but no longer used by most people.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I recently watched a youtube video with closed captioning on. When the person said " and then he axed me about..." the closed caption read "and then he asked me about...". Not sure what to make of that, but I guess "axed" is not universally accepted to be as correct as "ask".

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 2,348
13/15 correct and I consider myself a relatively poor speller. Still, the words used were, for the most part, the "problem" words which I had already committed to memory -just because they are problem words. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hopefully you won't take offense at this but that reminded me of this clip from "My Fair Lady". So are you also descended from royalty?

Not a problem at all. My early Army training immunized me from the folly of getting offended. It is interesting that he mis-pronunces Budapest, and for Yes, he say jawohl, which is German.
As for the royalty bit, I did not choose my parents well. Born and grew up in what gratuitously could be upgraded to a ghetto.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,489
Seeems the English can't speak english.

__________________

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spelling rant Meadbh Other topics 72 10-17-2013 02:20 PM
Texting...the end of proper spelling? Nova Other topics 51 02-14-2011 07:39 PM
Army declares new spelling of "Family" Nords Other topics 13 05-02-2007 07:10 PM
U.S. Spelling Bee Maximillion Other topics 38 06-05-2006 08:23 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.