Do You Plan to Work in Retirement (graphic)

Does it matter at all how one or more journalists defines retirement? :nonono:

With a real estate license I can see having a role where I don't proactively seek out new clients but keep "working" with family, friends and referrals. I would certainly be willing to give them below average commission rates (on listings) to help out too.

I also have 8 rental properties that I self manage which I plan to keep doing for some time. Some here would consider that work but it's not too taxing (1 call/mo maybe) except when I need to manage the turnover when a tenant leaves. At some point I might hire a property manager but it's pretty easy right now.

Didn't Plan to, But....

was asked to return and mentor new teachers at my former school, 2 days/mo.; so I get paid for 20 days of work at my old full-time salary. Yet would still call myself "retired" because I don't have to do any of the work that burned me out: no getting up early M-F; no crowds of teenagers to referee (whose faces change every 50 min. when a bell rings); no lesson plans or late nights/weekends grading essays non-stop; no required meetings or school politics..........the list is endless.

Instead, I get to do a fun part of the job that delighted throughout the years. I help young folks learn how to "run a class," teach their students and colleagues how to treat them, find the joy in their subject, and like the job despite the modest paycheck.

I can make my own schedule and enjoy running into former students and colleagues. Then I get to go home for another month, until it's time to go back and "work" for another two days.

This "job" allows me to still read ANYTHING I want, with no obligations to create tests, lesson plans, or essay topics about the book I pick up for any given week.
Heck, it allows me to sit here on a Fri. AM, while the snow falls, and post here.

So, no, it doesn't feel much like work. :D

We can work from home so as long as that business is viable we are going to keep doing that. I can't see myself every 100% retired. If this business ended I would probably find something else low stress with part time hours.

I don't do any w*rk now, why would I want to start in retirement?
I found that once I reached FI the corporate world wasn't so bad. While I am productive, I believe I actually have a much less stressful position than many here who are "semiretired". We'll see how long the ride lasts. However, to each his own, whatever makes you happy is fine with me.
:dance:

I got talked into doing a consulting job last year. When it came up I said I'd only do it if I only had to work 25 hours a week and they paid me very, very well. They said OK. It also had a well defined end point (the election).

During that time I regressed into calling myself semi-retired.

This year I'm planning zero paid work - partially so I can do a big ROTH conversion.

I found that once I reached FI the corporate world wasn't so bad. While I am productive, I believe I actually have a much less stressful position than many here who are "semiretired". We'll see how long the ride lasts. However, to each his own, whatever makes you happy is fine with me.
:dance:

In case it wasn't obvious, that was [-]humor[/-] [-]sarcasm[/-] not meant to be taken seriously...

It just occurred to me that about the only thing that would get me to "w*rk" again would be if a university or college wanted me to teach my old profession. As detailed elsewhere, I did this even back when I had a "straight" j*b - got paid peanuts but enjoyed it. I was passionate about it, so would probably not consider it "w*rk". So, realistically, is it "w*rk" only if you get paid for it? Or is it a "hobby" if you don't? Hmmmm... YMMV

I have done one consulting project since ER, and today I got paid for it. The "work" was a pleasure as it was exactly the type of activity that I most enjoy and that uses my niche expertise. I would love to do similar projects a couple of times a year if opportunities arise. But the idea of interviewing for and taking on a "job" would be anathema to me. When I look back, I realize how much stress I had while working, about issues that I simply don't care about any more. I never plan to work "for the man" again.

It just occurred to me that about the only thing that would get me to "w*rk" again would be if a university or college wanted me to teach my old profession.

I'd jump at a chance like that again, and I wouldn't care what anyone said or called it. :cool:

Tyro

I 'worked' for the first four years after retirement. Most who knew laughed when I said I worked as they knew I spent my time on a golf course for a few hours a week 'marshaling' (another word for trying to herd a bunch of cats called golfers...brother!) and did so for unlimited free golf, range and pro shop discounts. Alas, it has ended. The course came under new management, wanted everyone to reapply and be interviewed and in orientation they started sounding like the classic modern day corporate gig! Chills ran up my spine and I just told them "NO!" Feels good. :)

Let me see if I can clear up the confusion: "retired and still working" is a lot like being a "meat-eating vegetarian".

Hope that helped. :)

Late to the thread. "retired and still working" s that like a little bit pregnant?

I think it depends on one's point of view. For me, going to work every day, receiving benefits, having a boss, etc. - viz a viz a job - is not retirement. I last had a job in 2000, and when I quit that job was when I retired. I have had a business (online) for about 6 years, and I love it; I will do it as long as I do like it. Making money is fun!

Got a call from a head hunter about a VERY lucrative job opportunity, and after some agonizing, decide not to pursue it. Still not without feeling a little regret.

Last edited:
Does it matter at all how one or more journalists defines retirement? :nonono:

No, ma'am. **I** define it as Not Working Anymore. My definition is want is most important to ME. If others want/need (financially or otherwise) to w*rk, that is their situation. Not mine. I am old school, I suppose. Retired=retired.

Back
Top Bottom