Do You Really Have to Tell People This?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Seriously? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I saw this in person today. I realize it wouldn't be posted if they hadn't had issues, but it's awfully sad commentary on people. I remember when there were no free refills at all anywhere...and now evidently some people feel entitled to abuse the privilege?

Attachments

• CAM00020.jpg
    CAM00020.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Welcome to today, where so many consumers haven't met a mode of self-serving exploitation they didn't love.

Not everything is obvious to some people.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 394
I saw a similar sign on a trip recently and had the same thought - shouldn't it be obvious? I guess to some it isn't obvious. Underscores the alarming lack of common sense in the general population these days.

Oh Yes. My friend worked at a church that had free pastries and coffee after the service. He noticed some unfamiliar people coming in, enjoying the coffee and pastries, but who never seemed to attend the service. Nevertheless, they decided to let it go since new people are often shy and don't want to stand out. In a few weeks several of these people came in drank the free coffee, then opened a large paper sack and scooped a dozen or so pasties into the bag, and then left. The next week a pastor explained to them that the coffee and pastries were for people who attended the church services only. The freeloaders never came back.

Is it necessary? Sadly, yes. Like you I don't like that answer one bit.

Last edited:
Oh Yes. My friend worked at a church that had free pastries and coffee after the service. He noticed some unfamiliar people coming in, enjoying the coffee and pastries, but who never seemed to attend the service. Nevertheless, they decided to let it go since new people are often shy and don't want to stand out. In a few weeks several of these people came in drank the free coffee, then opened a large paper sack and scooped a dozen or so pasties into the bag, and then left. The next week a pastor explained to them that the coffee and pastries were for people who attended the church services only. The freeloaders never came back.

Since they didn't come back its apparent that their behavior wasn't out of desperation. What gall!! I don't understand how someone can do that and look themselves in the mirror.

May cause drowsiness

Attachments

• 0223_warning-label-nytol_485x340.jpg
    0223_warning-label-nytol_485x340.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 28

Chuckle. This isn't whole lot different than people at Costco keep coming back to a tasting table (or multiple tables) to eat their fill instead of sampling food. Ok, it's whole lot different but if those Costco tables are unattended, I can see some people grabbing whole lot of the samples. We humans are full of ....

I recall a thread awhile back discussing if it is OK to fill up your cup as you leave the restaurant.

+1. Appalling that there is a need for such a sign. I could only excuse such behavior if the actor were a street person living under a bridge in abject poverty.

And this is worse than shamelessly churning credit card teasers how?

Back in the 1980s I worked as an usher at a Broadway theater. During intermission, we ushers and the 3 house staff would stand guard for what we called "Second Actors," people who would enter the theater lobby from the outside during this time and try to "blend in" with the actual paid theatergoers and re-enter the auditorium for the second act. We did not check tickets for re-entry at any time after the show began, so this was a possibility. But the theater manager was a tough cookie and would bounce any of the Second Actors. They were easier to spot in the winter because they would have their coats on, but in the summer it became tougher. Sometimes, these Second Actors just wanted to swipe a Playbill then leave which was okay.

And this is worse than shamelessly churning credit card teasers how?

I don't know anything at all about credit card teasers not do I see the connection. I have had the same credit cards for years and don't "churn them".
Presumably credit cards companies are savvy concerns who know the "ins and outs" when they try to lure new holders with various teasers.

I didn't know this.....

Attachments

• 0223_warning-label-chainsaw_485x340.jpg
    0223_warning-label-chainsaw_485x340.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 24
I recall a thread awhile back discussing if it is OK to fill up your cup as you leave the restaurant.

I recently stayed at a business friendly hotel where they brought paper cups to the breakfast table in case you might want to take a coffee with you. Is this any different from the use of doggie bags?

Some people really deserve Darwin awards. The notices are there in order to reduce liability. For example, recently a driver tried to exit our parking garage by closely following another vehicle. Surprise, surprise, the door came down on his car, damaging both. Of course he is liable for the repairs, but he is appealing it! :facepalm: (We have the whole episode on CCTV). Now we have to put up a notice to state what is obvious to most people; wait for the door to close and then use your remote opener.

Last edited:
I couldn't resist taking a pic of this one I saw in a small Alaskan town last summer.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 53
Looks like someone was mocking laws requiring access for handicapped people.

On the "safety page" for a 21-inch rotary lawn mower I read this:

"Do not use as a hedge trimmer."

So glad they wrote that in there! How could I have possibly known not to?

Sad to say the reason it is there is that somewhere someone was dumb enough to do that.

Looks like someone was mocking laws requiring access for handicapped people.

I don't think so. This place is so remote that there is absolutely no chance a person with a wheelchair could ever get near the town, let alone this particular spot.

Back
Top Bottom