Document Distruction Survey

It's that time again. How do you handle the process of getting rid of your 2006 docs?

• I shred them

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • I burn them

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • I just toss them in the trash. Noone wants to see my stuff.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I tear them up and into the trash

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • 2006 is over? Why was I not advised?

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
Won't you guys be keeping your 2006 records around a bit? And what records are we talking about, phone bills, etc?

I haven't gotten rid of my 1986 records yet..... what makes you think I would have done anything with my 2006:confused:?

Anything I don't need for taxes or warranties, and just a couple other things (investments, insurance, etc) gets buzzed through a cross-cut shredder, taken to the dumpster at work, and covered in wastewater grit screenings (YUK!!!). If anyone wants to steal my identity from there....more power to them!!! :LOL:

Goonie said:
Anything I don't need for taxes or warranties, and just a couple other things (investments, insurance, etc) gets buzzed through a cross-cut shredder, taken to the dumpster at work, and covered in wastewater grit screenings (YUK!!!). If anyone wants to steal my identity from there....more power to them!!! :LOL:

Same here.

Apparently our only choice is to dispose of 2006 docs:confused: I stack them up and put a rubber binder around them and set them on top of the 2005 docs in a box. Then I throw out my 2000 docs. Might want to keep them around for a little while...doncha think? :confused:

I have to do some document destruction. I have about 22 feet of files in my work office that I did not clean out by my last day, including a bunch of work form files (garbage or give aways) and including tax records back to 1984, as well as basis and other information on real estate investments. I have until March to clean out my office, but now I have no motivation to go and do it. Where am I going to put all this sh!t? :confused: I don't feel like going into the office. Wah!

I got a shredder for Christmas and spent this weekend grinding away. The results so far are three large trash bags of .... fluf?... shred? whatever.

Some observations:

1. With a home-size shredder, just having the shredder doesn't mean you can just charge on, non-stop. First off, the trash container needs continual dumping. Second, if you don't dump often enough, it backs up into the grinder and starts plugging up.

2. Home shredders seem to be made to manage a light maintenance workload, rather than eliminating 40 years of paper. Mine shuts down (built in heat shut off) every 10 minutes of continuous grinding. Then it sits 15 minutes plus to reset. Once I get the backlog load gone, though, and can use it for a little now and then, it will work fine.

3. It is uber-strange going back through 40+ years of paper work. Saturday I shredded the first checks I'd ever written, from back in 1968. As I went through them, it was like a time-trip, recalling every different place I've lived since then. There were so many nostalgic things, that they became an issue themselves: the hospital bill for my first son's birth, $5 checks to the airport I learned to fly at for an hour's flight time, old Army orders, many, many, many written to the local college liquor store.

4. As shredding goes on - and on - and on... one becomes more focused as to what is really sensitive... and what isn't. By last night, rather than shredding entire pages of ten years of utility bills, I found myself tearing off only the corner, or the top, or side, that had names and account numbers on them. Grind that and toss the rest.

My shredder has a duty cycle of 2min on, 4 min off, according to the m-m-m-manual... Currently shredding 15 yrs worth of receipts... :crazy:

mickeyd said:
You are quite the pack rat aren't you now?

It would certainly seem so for paperwork. This is the result of having the SOP for "box it up" but never thinking about the one for "throw it out". Once it's boxed and stored it's "out of sight, out of mind". It's more work to get rid of it than to just keep moving it.

But I think I cured myself of that, this weekend. :p

Here's my system, for what it's worth.

I have four accordian files, each with Jan - Dec. By the end of 2006, I have one for 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006.

When 2007 starts, I take the stuff out of the 2003 accordian file, and put it in a big envelope labeled "2003." I then relabel the 2003 accordian file 2007.

This system works quite well, but it really is time to get rid of some of the older envelopes.

Burning bad: In California, IIRC, it's illegal to burn anything with paint or printing on it.

I tend to ignore this for small things, like credit card offers, but since I think it's a good law, I probably don't want to ignore it for larger volumes (e.g. 1996-2001). I also don't want to buy a shredder, since it's just one more device to have around.

Any suggestions?

Take them to work and put in the "Iron Mountain" receptable. They will be shredded and turned into papier mache so that not even the CIA can put them back together again.

TromboneAl said:
Burning bad: In California, IIRC, it's illegal to burn anything with paint or printing on it.

I tend to ignore this for small things, like credit card offers, but since I think it's a good law, I probably don't want to ignore it for larger volumes (e.g. 1996-2001). I also don't want to buy a shredder, since it's just one more device to have around.

Any suggestions?

Shred, then flush down the toilet.

Back
Top Bottom