Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, now I am creeped out. Got a tip from a relative and watched episode 4 the other night. One of the featured preppers is a childhood friend I have not seen in some time.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
OK, now I am creeped out. Got a tip from a relative and watched episode 4 the other night. One of the featured preppers is a childhood friend I have not seen in some time.
That IS creepy.

I've been watching the programs. One that comes to mind in particular was the guy that was getting his family prepared for doomsday by having a bug-out trailer available to hitch to his truck when they needed to flee. He was also planning on a building a bunker in the desert.

He took his boys out to the desert for some practice shooting. He felt the boys needed to know how to shoot and take down any intruders.

His gun backfired and nearly blew his thumb off. At the sight of a little blood, the guy fainted. ....how does he think he'll react if he actually shoots someone? Made me laugh and shake my head at the same time.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had religious nut friends acquaintances that were doomsdayers! Weird with a capital W!!! They were stockpiling dehydrated food and all that stuff. Seems that a wacked out religious nut huckster caring 'evangelist' came through town, and explained how God was going to blow up and destroy most all of mankind purge civilization of the naughty people within only a couple of short years. So, therefore, it was imperative that they repent or die like scumbags live right and buy HUMONGOUS amounts of survival food and supplies....from his huckster business ministry. A lot of people bought into his theory and purchased a LOT of his products. Almost all of the folks that I knew that bought in back in the mid-70's are now dead, so it did them absolutely no good anyway!

Only a few technical or logistical problems with all that from my viewpoint. First, they needed an equally humongous amount of space to store all of their newly acquired survival goodies....you know, enough stuff to last ALL members of their family for something like 3 years. The main problem with that is that most of those people owned the clothes on their backs, and rented a small house or apartment. So where ya gonna put all that, brother? And what happens when the landlord throws your butt out because you can't go to work....because your "surviving" a holocaust. Umm, these folks never even considered a bunker of any sort!

Next problem I saw was that most of their survival meals were dehydrated! Ummmm, where ya gonna get, or store ALL the uncontaminated water needed to prepare you're meals? Ooops....guess they overlooked that one also! There are several other glitches with their plans too, but these two were the most blatantly obvious to me.

I was flipping through he channel the other evening, and came across the "Doomsday Preppers" show. Too freaking weird for me!!! Only watched for a brief time, the flipped over to the FOOD Network! Hey, each to their own....but they can have all that doomsday hoopla to themselves. I'll pass!!!

My own opinion is that if the world is going to end, well, the world is going to end! There ain't a dang thing that I can do to stop it, so why waste even one split second of my life worrying about it! When it comes my time to go, i'm gonna go. Until then, I'm gonna enjoy my life and party on!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Preppers show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post

Next problem I saw was that most of their survival meals were dehydrated!
I liked the show, it covers the pros and cons of preparing for disaster. The world does not have to end IMHO; we have earthquakes etc.
We are storing water (blue barrels) so we can re-hydrate the meals and most people out here have RVs which have generators and water.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The best thought out survival plan I've ever seen was at a military installation I was once stationed at.
There was a central power plant that provided electricity, steam and hot water to all the other main buildings. Those utilities were in deep tunnels underground that were deliberately made far larger than necessary.

If it ever became necessary to go into survival mode (this was during the cold war), the occupants of the buildings could simply go down into the tunnels below and take shelter. There were large quantities of "survival biscuits" stored in the tunnels, and it was only necessary to tap into the water lines to get a drink. There were also drains for, er, sanitation

I was pretty impressed at the planning that went into that installation. Most people who worked there were unaware of even the existence of those utility tunnels.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #26

I've watched a bit of several "episodes" of Doomsday prepers. The glass-half-empty part of me agrees that there might be a reason to at least be prepared for some significant disruptions if, for instance, a major confrontation takes place in the middle east. I know, here in Paradise, we have something like LESS than 7 days of food if it were equally distributed. The powers that be chide us to have a hurricane kit (food, water, flashlights, batteries, etc.). Most folks have very little set aside.

Imagine a major disruption in oil supplies. Does anyone think Hawaii's 1+ million folks (located more than 2500 miles from ANYWHERE) would be a priority to send oil burning container ships full of food (or oil, for that matter)? No, I think the mainland coasts would be the priority. For that reason alone, it makes sense to have some supplies.

I think what concerns me about the DP program is the rather unlikely scenarios they are preparing for. Earth's magnetic pole shift comes to mind. Apparently, this HAS happened before - several times at multiple 100s of thousands of year intervals. But, no one really knows what that would mean to our way of life (other than changing all of our compass headings by 180 degrees.)

I DO think it prudent for folks to keep some food/water around in case supplies are disrupted. Waiting until the last minute leads to a run on grocery stores/gas stations. Not a pretty site when we get a tsunami warning (or, in the old mainland days, a big a$$ snow storm is on the way.) Our relatively frequent power outages here are disturbing (one was island wide for 18 hours). There is a helpless feeling that creeps into one's thinking when such a relatively benign event occurs. Being prepared helps mitigate that feeling and leads to a sense of well-being (was quite glad to have flashlights with extra batteries AND battery operated radios.)

However, preping for "the end of the world" seems like an exercise in futility. "Surviving for WHAT?" seems an appropriate question. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

It always makes sense to prepare to survive for a natural disaster, perhaps for a period up to a month. It is not intentional, but my wife likes to buy things on sale like pasta, ramen noddles, etc..., and we always have plenty on hand. For water, we have a 25,000 gal in the diving pool in the backyard. Fuel might be a bit tougher though.

And we are in the Southwest where there is no danger of hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquake. The scariest thing that could happen is if the power grid blows out on a hot 120-deg summer day. Weaker folks would be dropping like flies!

But to stock enough to survive a nuclear holocaust or a massive asteroid striking the earth? You've got to be kidding! What does one do after the 2 or 3 years of food run out, even if one can stockpile that much?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I second with NW-Bound. It's a good idea to be prepared for self survival due to natural disasters, both mentally and materially.

Some stockpile of non-perishable food, clean water, bleach, emergency medicine, and fuel can make a big difference during hurricanes, tornadoes or even earthquake. If living near by a nuclear plant, a pack of iodine pills could be a life saver as well. But we humans, like any other creatures, can only prepare so much. We will be totally powerless when facing apocalypse scenarios. I would venture to say that probably the minimalist would be the strongest survivor in the end.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #29

This is also my view. If my number's up, it's up. Not looking forward to a post nuclear or post epidemic/pandemic world...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
However, preping for "the end of the world" seems like an exercise in futility. "Surviving for WHAT?" seems an appropriate question. YMMV
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

For all of us, our world will "end" when we die. For today, for my sanity, I need to stay focused on the here and now - and contribute to the well-being of those around me. My focus is on the good things in life, because it is too easy to allow myself to be dragged into the trap of negative thinking - especially when much that I can worry about never comes to pass.

We do stock up on food, especially when on sale. And, we do lots of canning during the summer months. My motto from a childhood book character (forgot which book) is, "Hope for the best, yet prepare for the worst."
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau
I DO think it prudent for folks to keep some food/water around in case supplies are disrupted. Waiting until the last minute leads to a run on grocery stores/gas stations......

......However, preping for "the end of the world" seems like an exercise in futility. "Surviving for WHAT?" seems an appropriate question. YMMV
I agree! We get an ocassional winter storm or blizzard, and getting out and about can be hazardous. We always have enough food on hand to last at least a month! I have a generator that will power all of the necessities....refrigerator, freezer, furnace or a/c, some lights, computer, TV, etc. And I always keep enough fuel in hand to run the generator continuously for a few days, or intermittently for at least a couple of weeks, to keep food cold and the house warm.

As for water, we have a rain collection system that holds a few hundred gallons that can be boiled for drinking or cooking. If that runs out, there are 2 rivers and several creeks and ponds within a mile of our old homestead. There are also plenty of fish in those waterways, just waiting to chomp down on my hook! There is also plenty of edible plant life available and free for the taking...both cultivated and wild.