Dressing for "winter"

Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of where people actually live. :)

It is interesting that there are a lot of places being converted into condos.... so more and more people are starting to live there...

LOL!: Go down to Clear Lake some Friday or Saturday night and you'll see alot of folks just walking. Pretty safe down there.
Montrose? In the day, yes. At night, no way, Ray! I like to live.

I agree that the Rice area is pretty safe, and walking thru West University will be. But Houston is too spread apart with little public transportation to speak of, so it discourages walkability. People drive to where they want to go there instead of subway-ing it like in DC, Chicago, NYC, etc. Again, I disagree that Houston is a walkable city IMHO.

Here, this should settle it: Houston #26
Walkscore City Rankings

Nice link.... but just hit the button and you get THIS...

Downtown, Houston's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walk Score Neighborhood Rankings

It shows the different neighborhoods and at the top is the 'walk score' for each... not yet sure how the graph works... but it is something I can waste time on :flowers:

Many neighborhoods are "walkable" in the sense that you stuff the baby in the stroller and walk around to meet neighbors. West U where I used to live is like that. It is on the edge of the Rice Village, but contains only homes, schools, a library, a police station and a couple of stores. It is not a "destination" to go walking around.

I wonder if being able to walk to Starbucks brings up the scores?
Probably not as plugging in my work address shows 2 Starbucks, a pizza shop and a wine bar as the top 4 closest places with a W score of just 46.

Back
Top Bottom