E-R.org Critical Mass Question

I know that we have a number of members whose first language is not English, but the posts don't show it...
I hope I fall into that group.

And that is to be expected if a guy has lived here for almost 4 decades, and spent several years in college here, no?

I joined in April 2007. I was in a pretty bad place emotionally, having just resigned from a job that had melted down over the past year (was my dream job, turned into hell). I was pretty sure I wasn't in a position to RE at that point, but really appreciated the perspective people showed. I've since moved on to another job that was great for awhile, but got some major curveballs thrown at me that I've just been trying to keep in play for the last 11 months. Just learned what the longer term forecast is and I'm not sure what to think/do about it. Still mulling things over, figuring out how I feel/what I want to do. We would be able to FIRE if we sold our apartment and left Beijing, but DH is not ready to take that step yet.

I have been active in several forums over the years -- started way back in the late '90s with the frugal living forums at ivillage and armchair millionaire (where I was a moderator for a short period), then focused mainly on the Simple Living Network forums (where I was a moderator for several years, resigning last year), then this one and now also over at MMM. The forum format is something I like because you can get to know people quite well over time. I have several friends through forums that I have never met in person.

I like the diversity of this community and the wealth of experience that comes with it.

I joined in 2005? I would have thought it was earlier. I know I was a lurker while w*rking in 2003. I like the knowledge/experience of the posters. No matter what your problem is, somebody here has seen it and (probably) solved it. There was a time when I read every post, but I now I disregard those I deem non-interesting. But hey, it's a good forum. Speaking of meeting members, I have only met one, down in South Texas. There was a meetup a few years ago in the Hill Country, and somebody posted a photo of the backs (or maybe their faces were covered by menus) of those present. Unfortunately I missed it.

It just occurred to me that another thing that sets this forum apart is the consistently good grammar and spelling. I know that we have a number of members whose first language is not English, but the posts don't show it. Careful editing before posting? Looking up questionable words or phrases? I don't know, but the effect is wonderful!

OK, it's a very small point, but it's very much appreciated.

I am constantly amazed at people who claim they don't need to use punctuation.

Examples:

A woman without her man is nothing

OR

A woman, without her, man is nothing. :confused:

Two very different meanings with the exact same words in the exact same order.

If I were a lawyer looking for future business I would encourage the abandonment of punctuation. I would then see very many billable hours in my future. :D

Last edited:

Examples:

OR

A woman, with her, man is nothing. :confused:
I know there's a snarky comment about consistent spelling in me somewhere, but I'm sitting here still waiting for the first cup of coffee of the morning :D

I find this a very cordial group over all. And I appreciate the good work of the moderators keeping it that way, even if it means some of my posts go into the dust bin from time to time.

I find that I have identified several contributors whose ideas and values seem close to mine. I pay a bit more attention to their posts. Others, I find myself in disagreement with rather often, but they obviously think, so I pay attention to them also. IMHO, if we ever got together over a cup of coffee I think we would find our areas of agreement greatly out number our areas of disagreement.

In actually there are very few people here who I don't pay attention to now that I think of it.

Examples:

OR

A woman, with her, man is nothing. :confused:

Two very different meanings with the exact same words in the exact same order.

If I were a lawyer looking for future business I would encourage the abandonment of punctuation. I would then see very many billable hours in my future. :D

I don't understand, a woman with Herman or without Herman is nothing?
And who is Herman?

Edit---
Oh, is it Pee-wee?

It just occurred to me that another thing that sets this forum apart is the consistently good grammar and spelling. I know that we have a number of members whose first language is not English, but the posts don't show it. Careful editing before posting? Looking up questionable words or phrases? I don't know, but the effect is wonderful!

OK, it's a very small point, but it's very much appreciated.

Fer all intensive purposes, it's prolly do two a more ejucated groop of peeple.
(actual spellings I've seen on other forums)

:cool:

Former engineers trying to reinvent themselves as english teachers.

I'm dyslexic and don't use spell check, so I should get a pass;)

Fer all intensive purposes, it's prolly do two a more ejucated groop of peeple.
(actual spellings I've seen on other forums)

:cool:
Not wanting to derail the main subject of the thread, and I know this is a subject that has been beaten to death, but I came across another friend yesterday who is lucid and intelligent yet despite all that, used the following phrase in a written sentence,

"I would of done that."

This is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I know there are many other things that are far more worthy of my attention.

Last edited:
... I came across another friend yesterday who is lucid and intelligent yet despite all that, used the following phrase in a written sentence,

"I would of done that."

This is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I know there are many other things that are far more worthy of my attention.

Things like this are basically the reason I do not carry a gun. I'm sure I'd be forced to use it

Words is hard

The concept of critical mass in reference to ER and portfolios has been discussed a number of times, most recently in this thread started by nash031. Obviously from that thread, once you've strayed from the strict scientific definition of critical mass, you're free to define it however you want.
Heh. I made a pretty good paycheck out of the original definition.

My questions for you are -
How long have you been here, and how does E-R.org fit into your life? Is it a place you come to occasionally to see the latest chat on financial issues, or does it mean more to you than that? How long was it before this place felt like Cheers - or maybe you're not there yet? Perhaps you think we're just a bunch of weird old fuddy-duddies who do that really bizarre thing called saving money, and we merely represent a passing curiosity to you?
I came here from Greaney's RetireEarlyHomepage.com in 2002 (about six months after I ER'd) and lurked the comments about Greaney's articles. Back then you could read E-R.org's daily posts in about 10 minutes. Sometimes zero minutes.

I'm not sure when I put up my first post here-- later on one of the early trolls induced a frenzied spate of post deletion as we tried to remove our personal info from his clutches. I think my first post was in early 2004, musing that the ER life seemed too good to be true and wondering whether I was missing something. The responses were reassuring, although ol' Ted flounced out of here shortly after I started posting. He wanted to try to do something more useful with his life, which convinced me even more firmly that I'd made the right choice.

In retrospect, this was a pretty quiet little place for its first few years. Dory actually used to log in on his cell phone (after he tied up his boat for the day) to see how everyone was doing. Eventually Dory needed moderators, though, and after that this mellow neighborhood bar started turning into Studio 54... or maybe Gilley's is a better metaphor. Our first crew of moderators still keeps in touch at our own quiet little bar in a secure undisclosed location.

I liked the way that Bob Clyatt used the forums to help write "Work Less, Live More", and I think we did a pretty good job on "The Military Guide" too. After I sold the manuscript and started blogging, I discovered plenty of other outlets for my writing. These days I'm finding most of my readers (and fellow bloggers) at MrMoneyMustache.com, and I just stop by here weekly for a keyword search or to respond to a subscribed thread. I'm mostly capping off old threads and starting my new ones elsewhere.

In a couple weeks I'll cap off one of my older threads. For now let's just say that LOL! made a particularly prescient comment nearly seven years ago, backed up by a few other vehemently-opinionated posters, and the project that they inspired is finally coming to fruition.

As the local Navy officer with an eye on not working once the 20 year mark hits, I sometimes feel like Nords's little brother.
Thanks-- it's the biggest family I've ever seen!

Stumbled upon it from a Naval officer's forum where someone recommended Nords' book for military retirees.
Could you let me know which forum that is? I'm seeking beta readers for my next book (just as soon as I have something worth beta reading) and I want to spread the net a little wider this time.

[-]Forever.[/-] I was one of the first three dozen to register on the forum when it came online in June of 2002. The latest stats show only six of those first 36 are still active on the forum.
Not many survivors among the first 65, either. Buncha short-timers.

I joined in 2005? I would have thought it was earlier. I know I was a lurker while w*rking in 2003. I like the knowledge/experience of the posters. No matter what your problem is, somebody here has seen it and (probably) solved it. There was a time when I read every post, but I now I disregard those I deem non-interesting. But hey, it's a good forum. Speaking of meeting members, I have only met one, down in South Texas. There was a meetup a few years ago in the Hill Country, and somebody posted a photo of the backs (or maybe their faces were covered by menus) of those present. Unfortunately I missed it.
Ah, yes: the photo of SC, Leslie, and REWahoo! I still have that t-shirt, too.

I also have the unedited images on my hard drive. If you want to see the photo without the menus, the bidding starts at $10,000. All proceeds will be donated to Wounded Warrior Project and Fisher House, but you're probably bidding against REWahoo!...

Attachments

• ER lunch with REWahoo, Leslie, SC, Nords.jpg
    ER lunch with REWahoo, Leslie, SC, Nords.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
What I hate is when I come across a post of my own, and it is full of words with missing letters or worse.

I try to write reasonably good English, but to do so takes good editing because I miss a lot of errors as I move along.

Ha

What I hate is when I come across a post of my own, and it is full of words with missing letters or worse.

I try to write reasonably good English, but to do so takes good editing because I miss a lot of errors as I move along.

Ha

Well if it is any consolation Ha, I never notice that about your post. Lots of humor, and pithy statements, sprinkled with wisdom. Occasionally I do detect a wee bit of sarcasm though :cool:.

All I know is I am the world's worse proofreader of my own posts. It really is embarrassing at times, because my command of the English language isn't great but it isn't as bad as I come across on many of my posts.

What is especially awful is that have a horrible habit of leaving out the word NOT which changes the meaning of good portion of my posts.

[-]I come here for the punctuation lessons.[/-]

Love this forum.

Appreciate the "climate" of the forum, so to speak (thank you Moderators!) Yes, the decorum - the often elegant expression of ideas, strategies, encouragement. And I find myself laughing out loud on a regular basis.

I remember being both depressed and excited upon joining, only because then and now I feel like I'm the student who is behind, but who is trying to catch up. Or like one of the grade schoolers who is eavesdropping on the conversations of the bigger, cooler kids. It was difficult to keep reading sometimes, because of this dawning reality.

At the same time, it inspired me to both dream and act concerning FI. Sometimes it was big stuff like starting a Solo 401-K. Sometimes it was littler stuff, like still using the awful Maytag washer and dryer (built before they were bought by Whirlpool) when I really want to throw them out and start over. (We keep using them OMY...!!!!!)

I appreciate learning, and being able to ask questions, and having genuinely nice people offer answers.

Arriving late to the party doesn't mean you missed all the fun.

Kindest regards.

Posts #54 and #57-65 display why I ended up here in the first place!

Joined the week I ER'd, after 34 years of reading and correcting writing like #54 and #57-65.

This place has been a profound RELIEF! but I never considered the level of writing found here.........only the fact that the forum provided calm waters, no fingernails-on-the-chalkboard language.

Many thanks to everyone who helps this happen on ER.org!

:)

I have been dropping by this place for a while now (see join date to the left). Edit~just noticed that it has now been 10 years!

Long ago, after reading a few posts, I ran across a mention of LBYM. What the heck is this code they are using? As I read on, the true meaning of LBYM came into view and I realized that I had been using LBYM all of my life without naming it. So had hundreds (now thousands) of other E-R folks.

This place is always a pleasure to visit.

I joined in July of 2007, having found ER.org while looking for information on early retirement and how to generate income from investments. I was certain, at the time, that I'd be leaving my career behind mid-2009, when my DD graduated from HS and moved back to the States. My boss, the global CEO of megacorp, convinced me that the world would stop turning if I left when I expected (the golden handcuffs he offered were quite influential, given the market situation).

During the ensuing years until my 12/2012 departure, ER.org was often my "go-to" place for comfort, and a reminder of what was waiting for me beyond the rainbow.

Since I retired, I've gone on hiatus a few times as I've gotten busy with the business of being retired. I pop in now and then to see what I've missed, and once in a while I post. When a couple of major projects I'm handling around the house are finished, I'll probably be a little more visible around the forum, but for now, my online time us pretty limited.

Overall, ER.org has given me a couple of nice friendships, lots of knowledge, and the confidence to pull the plug when it was time.

R

Back
Top Bottom