Join Early Retirement Today

Episodes of cheating that you have known and loved
Old 03-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, Iím being a tad facetious - we arenít supposed to love cheating. However, I have to admit to a grudging admiration for the pretty young lady who showed up for a Computer Science exam at a major Midwestern university back in the Ď80s for which I was a proctor. She managed to score an 85 despite flagrantly copying answers from the two students seated in front of her. My fellow proctors and I seized her exam when she tried to turn it in; we also seized the exams of her two victims. Whatís it like to show up for an exam knowing that the only way you are going to succeed is through theft of intellectual property from fellow students? I canít imagine. Back then, I thought this young lady had a bright future in American society: combine exceptionally good looks, moral ďflexibilityĒ, and the innate ability to identify appropriate victims, and youíll go far. The only thing lacking was the ability to steal without getting caught - a skill that can be learned through practice.

A favorite quote relevant to this case:

Quote:
The secret of great fortunes with no apparent source is a forgotten crime, forgotten because it was properly carried out. - de Balzac
So Ö anyone else directly witnessed cheating?

socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought you were describing the college admissions scandal going on in the news. Parents (and perhaps potential students) behaving badly. When I first heard of the news, I nearly checked my calendar to make sure it wasn't April fools.

The only witnessed cheating I remember was in high school history class. Not one of my best classes. The teacher, for whatever reason, decided to leave the class room after handing out the test. So, there I was sweating trying my best to answer questions when this classmate surely rubber necked looking over my shoulder at my answers. Little did she know, she was probably copying the wrong answers .

Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

A grad student had school subsidized housing in NYC. He turned it into an AirBNB and just doubled up with friends when renting it out.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I will add a bit on the proctor and cheating...

When I was in college I went to see a classmate during his time proctoring an exam... we had things to go over... well, I kept looking to the back of the room and saw this guy who was cheating from two other peoples test...

I brought it up to my classmate and his response was.... "those two do not know the answer to anything so I do not know why he is cheating off them"... which leads to another I guess rule of cheating... make sure the person you are cheating from actually knows the subject!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We had a teacher, "Eagle Eye Ames" she had a face and stare similar to an eagle. When she caught someone cheating you knew it. Her eyes would burn a hole in the offender's soul.

I never bothered to cheat. Expending all that energy when I could study. I really never studied, I didn't care. Fortunately I could just walk in and pull the 85.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

Not exactly "cheating," but I have to give grudging respect to the scammers who come up with the new social engineering scams we all get via our e-mail inboxes and phones.

If it weren't for the fact that they're targeting vulnerable people, you almost have to admire the way they figure out how to manipulate people.

And the ones who do the scams where the victim thinks they're going to illegally obtain some large amount of money, well, there's some poetic justice there. Being a sucker is one thing; being a greedy, dishonest sucker is a little different.

Having said all that, I admire the honest folks who scam the scammers even more. Now that's poetic justice.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #7

Boy am I embarrassed....thought this was about affairs....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember late in the quarter of an upper division math class that consisted of nothing but doing proofs a fellow student said to me, "Why don't I ever see you in the library?", and I said I like doing assignments at home. She said, "But all the proofs are in books at the library...". WHAAAAA!!! I'd spent entire weekends on a single proof.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
Administrator

Long ago, when the young wife was just starting out as a teacher, she showed me two tests she was grading. One girl had obviously copied from another, but could not properly read the first girl's handwriting. The resulting mishmash of incomprehensible words was hilarious.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #10

Under 17 not admitted without parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Boy am I embarrassed....thought this was about affairs....
I thought the same thing. Now that I find it isn't, I'm not embarrassed, just disappointed.

Maybe thread titles should include ratings like movies have: "Rated R for adult content". I wonder how quickly the spicy threads would overtake the money threads in popularity. I'll be conservative and say it'd take at least a couple of days.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Teacher here - have seen work copied word for word from another, including spelling errors.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post

So Ö anyone else directly witnessed cheating?

It's pretty common. I've seen blatant cheating many times, as a student and then as an employee. Most get away with it.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ha, I was never one to respect authority too much. I remember in college, the student next to me was one of the smartest in the class, but tended to think too literally for the tests. We both had notepads on our desks. We would help each other out by asking and answering each other's questions on the notepads. Worked like a charm. I considered it team building
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

When I did my student teaching at my old home town over spring break, one of the students in the front row was blatantly looking at the answers being put down by his classmate. I called him on it by saying "'John', please keep you eyes on your own test paper." This happened during 4th period. My younger brother, a sophomore, told me that evening that by the end of the school day, everyone knew that I had caught "John" cheating. Apparently, all the kids knew "John" cheated, but none of the teachers would call him on it.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a teacher and have seen hundreds of written assignments that were obviously copied and pasted from the Internet. One student copied a page from Wikipedia and managed to include the advertisements on the page in addition to the text that was the target of the copying.

I teach online classes and have students post an introduction at the start of the semester. One student actually copied the introduction from a classmate. That's about as lazy as it gets.

I have also proctored computerized tests in a testing center on campus. I would catch at least one student trying to look up answers on the computer when they thought I was not looking.

Cheating is happening at epidemic levels in my experience.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Pursuing an MBA in my early 50's while working and traveling, I had my DW do several of my papers for a couple of classes. She enjoyed doing them and did excellent work. I couldn't have done it without her. I considered it "helping" not cheating. I retired 2 months after graduating.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
Pursuing an MBA in my early 50's while working and traveling, I had my DW do several of my papers for a couple of classes. She enjoyed doing them and did excellent work. I couldn't have done it without her. I considered it "helping" not cheating. I retired 2 months after graduating.

Well , since she enjoyed it ....
mh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:18 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
You may consider it "helping". But you submitted work that was not your own. Everybody in academia would consider it cheating. At least be honest with yourself about what you were doing.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #19

I rarely even felt the "need" to cheat on exams (and would have felt too guilty to do it.) Having said that, I got through a number of lab courses by "dry labing" them as the crappy equipment we had and worse TAs meant nothing ever worked in the allotted time. I learned FAR more by figuring out how the labs SHOULD have worked and adapting data to fit. I salved any pangs of conscience by the knowledge that I had actually learned the material. When I got to the "real" world of laboratories, it was quite simple to adapt to equipment that actually worked and came with manuals that were appropriate. On the rare occasion where I needed help, there were always folks more experienced who were (more or less) happy to train me.

I guess I wouldn't even call what I did cheating, but those with differing points of view on the subject are welcome to their own opinions as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
You may consider it "helping". But you submitted work that was not your own. Everybody in academia would consider it cheating. At least be honest with yourself about what you were doing.
I retired from academia where I taught Anatomy/Physiology to potential medical career students. It was very competitive. There were a few students who were not prepared for the challenge and tried to improve their GPA by cheating. I viewed that as they were cheating a more knowledgeable student from obtaining a place in their medical program. I would not want to think my doctor, nurse, physical therapist, etc. got through their program that way. I believe I was saving lives by suggesting the cheaters find a different career path. I hope they didn't become your FA.

Cheers!

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote