Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Put your energy into making a gift for your wife instead of pursuing this any more.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 AM   #22

Document everything! Dates, times, who you talked to or employee number, dates and tracking for certified mail, what you said and what they said, at every interaction. Just documenting your diligence would help if somehow you got a bill for this in a year, or, heaven forbid in five years, with compounded interest.

R

Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #23

IMO this has been beaten to death. Must have something to do with the like "simple question and over 15 responses". Having once worked for a DIP for a large HBA and GA company that went bankrupt in 1989 (Chapter 11) and finally closed (Chapter 7) in 2002 it could last a very long time, but frankly we only went after accounts receivable for about 2 of those years and would never waste the time on "small accounts", and we did not sell them off (there was (and probably currently is no market for undocumented accounts, which is what this looks like). IMO you should just let this thing die.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First, I'll say that I probably would do exactly what you are doing, so I'm not judging here.

However, in terms of ethics, the answer is quite clear, and I'm surprised no one has said this.

The ethically correct thing to do is pay for the item. This might involve sending a letter to the parent company explaining it the way you explained it to us, and asking them where to send the check. Whether you called and got a busy signal or a disconnected phone, it is unethical to say "Well, I tried. I guess I get the item for free."

Sometimes you can get the answer to an ethics question by eliminating any profit motive: what would you do if this were $7 instead of $700?

Let's say you get too much money back at the grocery checkout. You tell the clerk, "Hey, you gave me too much." He says "No I didn't." Ethics says you still return the excess, you don't say "Well, I tried."

Theory and practice are different, and at some point it's reasonable to say "Well, I tried." But ethics isn't concerned with that stuff. And it has nothing to do with what consequences you'll receive or whether you'll get caught.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #25

Look at the crossed out part of response #3. Here is the address and phone # for the Bankruptcy Court which has jurisdiction for Sacramento California: http://maps.live.com/localsearch/Det...n-US&FORM=LLSV
Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you considered sending the CC company a letter via certified mail asking them to confirm you have a 0 balance on the card? That could serve as evidence of a good faith effort to insure you owe nothing in case they come back on you at some time in the future.
i think this is a good suggestion. the last thing u want op is a surprise bill presented to u down the road with an exorbatant interest rate and higher than expected balance.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all, it's been fun bouncing this around. I regret my spelling of the word dilemma. I also regret referencing "ethics" in the title. What I really wanted to know was, what I could get away with. I have the ethical inclinations of a World Savings loan consultant. The only thing stronger than my own natural greed is my fear of adverse consequences. Hey, Al, as Mary once said to Joseph, "Who needs you?"
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderdude View Post
Hey, Al, as Mary once said to Joseph, "Who needs you?"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This space reserved for when I think up a good response...

This is all I can come up with:

And Joseph did then say to Mary: "But thou shall needeth me when thou doth wanteth picture-in-a-picture on our new $700 TV, since thou did not RTFM."

OK, pretty lame. LOL, by the way.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #30

I think you have done a bit more than I may have...but Id always wonder when bill was coming every time I used my...uh....... errrrr.... widget
Old 02-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This space reserved for when I think up a good response.
Reminder: you only have six hours...
Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

You win again, Al. You made me google it.