Favorite movie about Business

Trading Places...Jamie Lee post-enhancement and great lines like:

"Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the absolute carnage you are about to witness. Super Bowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?" - Louis Winthorpe III
Classic movie

Thankfully, I can't identify with Glengarry Glen Ross, but Office Space is SPOT ON! Much more fun to watch, too. All personal taste, I guess.
Office Space is the classic movie for anyone who works in a cube in a professional job.

Come on! Nobody put 'Boiler Room' in the mix. Great low profile movie.

The movie should be a damn collectible because I believe it is the only movie Ben Affleck has done where he doesn't completely SUCK.

I did. Must be on your ignore list. :2funny:

I've never seen Boiler Room, but I like the sound of it!
And Office Space is the best movie ever!
Here's an additional category: favorite quote from Office Space?

I've never seen Boiler Room, but I like the sound of it!
And Office Space is the best movie ever!
Here's an additional category: favorite quote from Office Space?

My fave from office space:

Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.

I did. Must be on your ignore list. :2funny:

Missed it.

Quote from the main character at the beginning of the movie:

"The Notorious BIG said it best: "Either you're slingin' crack-rock, or you've got a wicked jump-shot." Nobody wants to work for it anymore. There's no honor in taking that after school job at Mickey Dee's, honor's in the dollar, kid. So I went the white boy way of slinging crack-rock: I became a stock broker."

Freeird, pick a nice quiet evening, have a drink or two, and watch it. Then do a report for us. But don't read any more of this thread or we'll spoil it for you. Go away now.
Is she gone? Good.

Here's my favorite:

Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

Freeird, pick a nice quiet evening, have a drink or two, and watch it. Then do a report for us. But don't read any more of this thread or we'll spoil it for you. Go away now.
Is she gone? Good.

Here's my favorite:

Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

i'm baaaaaaaaaack. :2funny:
it's OK, keep joshing away. i doubt i'll rent it cuz it will give me bad flashbacks. reading the dialogue is harmless. ;)

In Office Space, besides the "I'm going to need you to...." that Peter's boss prefaces everything with, this is my favorite quote, which epitomizes corporate busywork to me:

Dom Portwood: Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. And the problem is just that I forgot the one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
Dom Portwood: Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
and then the number of bosses Peter has:

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
Bob Slydell: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

I watched 'Office Space' based on the recommendations of this thread. It was cute, but had some problems here and there with verisimilitude. I won't describe my objections further to avoid spoiling the viewing for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. The movie reminded me how difficult it is to be in a supervisory/managerial position and be liked/admired/appreciated by subordinates. :)

I watched 'Office Space' based on the recommendations of this thread. It was cute, but had some problems here and there with verisimilitude. I won't describe my objections further to avoid spoiling the viewing for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. The movie reminded me how difficult it is to be in a supervisory/managerial position and be liked/admired/appreciated by subordinates. :)

Of course, if it had to deal with verisimilitude, it wouldn't be as funny :D.
Think of it as a great work of art with deeper messages about society and our place in the universe.

Free

"There was no problem with my name. Then that no-talent assclown got famous and started winning Grammy's..."

Of all the movies listed, I have seen trading spaces, wall street, risky business and pretty woman. Also seen portions of 9 to 5, but not the whole thing.

In HS economics class we watched Tucker. That was an OK movie.
In college we watched Roger and Me like it was a cult classic (I went to college in Flint, MI where it was filmed).

Well - its not a movie but I do learn some business/management strategies from the Sopranos and Trump's Apprentice. At some point I also want to try out the management style Gordon Ramsey uses on that Hell's Kitchen chef show.

Well - its not a movie but I do learn some business/management strategies from the Sopranos and Trump's Apprentice. At some point I also want to try out the management style Gordon Ramsey uses on that Hell's Kitchen chef show.

I'm on season three of "The Sopranos." When I saw this thread this morning, I thought of it and all the other mob movies. One of the featurettes on the DVD had the actors, writers, etc. talking about how mafia movies are now a separate American genre like westerns, just like westerns, and uniquely American.

Back
Top Bottom