Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What would you do if you receive a Federal Court jury summons?
Toss it, they can't prove you received it! 2 5.71%
Decline with valid excuse. 1 2.86%
Offer to appear, I'm not going to get picked anyways! 32 91.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Federal Court Jury Summons
Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Re: Federal Court Jury Summons

Let me give some more info on my experience.....

We had a LONG questionaire to fill out the first day we went to the court... it took a couple of hours to fill out... and they had a number of questions on how we felt about the death penalty..... later we asked the prosecutor and the defense about how they came to pick a jury... along with the judge, they threw out all people gave an answer to each extreme... were not even considered... so if you said you could not give it no matter what the person did, or said everybody derserved it... you were off...

SO, I see that they are 'fair' in this process. But as has been mentioned a few times... the State has a right to a jury that can consider ALL the punishments that the law allows... let me give another example...

I was on the panel for someone who was charged with drunk driving.. they were going after a felony drunk driving.. since he had been conviced of at least one other felony, the minimum sentance was 20 years (if I am getting my facts straight...)... so, we were all asked, can we give someone 20 years just for a 'plain' DWI?? A lot of people said NO and were let go.... did this sway the jury against the guy Yes, I think it did. But there were some MADD people that were let go also... which the defense would not have wanted on the jury either... But again, the State has a right to have a jury that follows the law and not their emotions...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Wow, There's Some Very...
Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
Wow, There's Some Very...

...interesting discussion in this thread; although it does stray a little from the original polling options . A couple of years ago, I recieved a Federal Court jury summons. It also said there was a possibility of being picked for a Federal Grand Jury - which would last anywhere from 18 months to 2 years. Needless to say, I told my boss I hoped to get picked for the Grand Jury - since I would get out of going to work for a couple of days a month .

My two week jury period was very easy. Each week day, after 5 PM, the potential jury pool members had to call a special number to find out if we had to report to the Federal Court House the next morning. For 7 week days, the message said no one had to report the next morning. Finally, on the Wednesday before Easter Weekend, the message said the judge had released all potential jury members from the pool from their summons and thanked us for our "service". I never even had to miss a minute of work .

I'm now 0 for 3 with regard to jury duty - always called but never picked 8).

I do believe that jury duty is one of the resposibilities of citizenship, so I really don't mind being called.

Well, Helen; shall we just go home?
jdmorton is offline   Reply With Quote