Feeling down with - Posts, News, Radio etc the cause?

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been feeling down lately. I'm not sure of the cause; it could be that I'm at home and not in my RV currently. But is it that or is it the the inputs?

Are there more negative posts with subjects on
Recessions/Depressions/Business Financial Problems/Gov't Dept
The Frugal Lifestyle
Are there more thread jackings and off hand comments?

Talk radio - AM talk radio - negative on everything. NPR really gets me. They do so many stories profiling people with problems - with first person accounts - searching for a job, living on unemployment ins., college or high school students can't find jobs, out of work bankers who used to make a lot of money but now have nothing, teenagers with some problem.

General news - always a crisis, if nothing is new repeat the old
Gulf Oil spill, Republicans against everything, global warming (going green stories similar in my mind), more bad economic stories and profiles.

Anyone else feeling this way?

It's been a long time since the net effect of the "signals" I got from the outside world gave me a pick up. I think you have to look inward, or to your faith, or to whatever you think makes your life worthwhile.

It's easy to get sucked in by all the "doom and gloom", remember that "if it bleeds, it leads" will always be the newsy rule of thumb. I always try for a bit of perspective; I'm not living in the Middle Ages, the water in the shower is hot, and the A/C is cool, and I always have some brews in the frig (two absolutely super inventions). If you understand history, you really know that now is the time to be alive, especially in a developed country.

For all the bad news, the DW and I are heading for Alaska in four weeks for a cruise/tour. We were lucky enough to travel to South America late last winter, and experienced the great earthquake first hand. Carpe Diem, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Remember, in Life, no one gets out alive!

Keep on RVing.

Dex, just got back from a short vacation; one of our stops was at Mt. Rushmore- go spend a day sightseeing in the Black Hills and stay for the 9:00 PM lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore. If that doesn't lift your spirits and make you glad to to be alive and living in America, nothing will. :)

To me...life is about choices. I can fret over anything and everything or I can count my blessings and be the best person I can be to myself and others in my life.

I choose to be happy and laugh anytime I have a chance.

Life is fleeting....I'd rather focus on the positive and cherish the gift of each day I have on this Earth. :)

I've been feeling very down too. My beloved cat died recently and it hit me very hard. I've had pets all my life but this one really broke my heart in a major way. Days of crying and feeling so low.

I went in for a check up lately and found out my thyroid was out of whack. Good DR upped my dose of Synthroid and said my condition could lead to many ill effects, including depression.

I know part of feeling so down was the loss of a much loved pet. I also believe it was made worse by my thyroid condition. I think it's always good to check out medical causes.

I usually limit my exposure to news stories if they are getting me down. I just turn off the news and do something happy instead. Certain news stories have affected me particularly in recent months, and I am especially careful to limit my exposure to them.

It is important to take care of ourselves, both physically and emotionally, especially as we grow older. Consider it to be your responsibility to yourself.

I'm a very optimistic, upbeat person. I watch a lot of news and like to be online reading just about anything. And then I'll get overloaded with bad news, earthquakes and devastation, unemployment and bankrupt city/county/state stories. The overwhelming helplessness and hopelessness in the Gulf of Mexico, the animals and the people and their lives that are changed forever. If I look too long at the BIG picture it seems like the world is dealing with too many problems all at once.

Sometimes I just have to turn off the TV for a while, and focus on me and mine. In my own little world things are just fine. We have our hills and valleys but all in all we've got it very good.

I've been feeling down lately. I'm not sure of the cause; it could be that I'm at home and not in my RV currently. But is it that or is it the the inputs?

The Frugal Lifestyle

Talk radio - AM talk radio - negative on everything. NPR really gets me. They do so many stories profiling people with problems - with first person accounts - searching for a job, living on unemployment ins., college or high school students can't find jobs, out of work bankers who used to make a lot of money but now have nothing, teenagers with some problem.

Gulf Oil spill, Republicans against everything, global warming (going green stories similar in my mind), more bad economic stories and profiles.

I'm not feeling that way just at the moment, but I often have in the past and I expect I will again many times in the future. IMO, being away from your RV (if you'd rather be there than where you are) and the "inputs" as you call them, could both be contributing to your down mood. There certainly have been a lot of posts recently about the economy and related topics, and at the moment, none of those are upbeat things to think about.

Sometimes I can get rid of the blues by changing the inputs. I fix my favorite food for dinner, rent a funny movie or pull a favorite book off the shelf, or do something I enjoy, like knitting or working in my garden. Other times, I just have to wait until the mood goes away by itself, which it does eventually. If I can't shake it on my own, I yell for help, or I might break out the St Johnswort, a herbal remedy I've found helpful in the past for mild depression/anxiety (check w/ your medical advisor first of course). Back in the early '80s (when I was one of those unemployed recent college graduates you hear about on the news), I also found one of the self-help books for dealing with depression to be of some use. I can't remember the exact name of the book, but the author's name is Dr. David Burns, and the name of the book is something like "Cognitive Therapy", or that may be a subtitle under the main name.

If none of that did any good, I think I'd go see my doctor, naturopath, priest, and/or counselor (not necessarily in that order).

Hope that helps :flowers:

I don't watch news on TV and don't listen to talk radio anymore. I am actually thinking about giving up on cable TV altogether (hello Netflix!). But doom and gloom is everywhere. I am surrounded by people who are being very pessimistic at the moment (though most have no reasons to complain whatsoever). In the past few months, this forum has turned particularly negative and the tone has even been unpleasant at times. Even the Bogleheads with their "tune out the noise" principle seem unable to escape the gloom.

All this doesn't depress me, but it sure does tire me. I hope things improve soon.

I went in for a check up lately and found out my thyroid was out of whack. Good DR upped my dose of Synthroid and said my condition could lead to many ill effects, including depression.

How did the thyroid issue get identified in the first place? Or was it, routine blood check or a battery of tests searching for something?

Awww bbbami - I recall you posting this to cheer me up when I was way down in the dumps some time ago. You are a truly good soul - love you:flowers:

How did the thyroid issue get identified in the first place? Or was it, routine blood check or a battery of tests searching for something?

I've had the thyroid issue for a number of years Dex. My mom has the same problem. I went in recently because of a lump in my armpit. This was a big worry since breast cancer runs in my family. Luckily, it wasn't cancer, but my doctor took the opportunity to do a 50,000 mile check up on me and the thyroid level was found to be way off kilter.

Just started the higher dosage of Synthroid. I expect it will be some time to notice a difference on the higher dosage. In any event, I found it hard to believe my moods could be impacted by my body chemistry. Interesting how we want to separate our psyche from our physical bodies. Reality is, they are connected more than we may want to believe.

Right now , I am feeling upbeat but I went through a period after a severe traumatic event that everything looked gray and blah. I tried therapy . I tried meditation tapes and over the counter meds guaranteed to raise my mood . Nothing worked . I finally went to my Physician and asked for an anti -depressant . The first was a disaster . I could not stop eating . The second try was Lexapro . It took awhile to kick in but suddenly my world was in color again . I took it for two years and would highly recommend it .

Awww bbbami - I recall you posting this to cheer me up when I was way down in the dumps some time ago. You are a truly good soul - love you:flowers:
sLo_BigBearHug.gif
.............;)

I've had the thyroid issue for a number of years Dex. My mom has the same problem. I went in recently because of a lump in my armpit. This was a big worry since breast cancer runs in my family. Luckily, it wasn't cancer, but my doctor took the opportunity to do a 50,000 mile check up on me and the thyroid level was found to be way off kilter.

Just started the higher dosage of Synthroid. I expect it will be some time to notice a difference on the higher dosage. In any event, I found it hard to believe my moods could be impacted by my body chemistry. Interesting how we want to separate our psyche from our physical bodies. Reality is, they are connected more than we may want to believe.
I'm so glad your test results came out ok.... :)

Several years ago a blood test showed my thyroid was way off kilter too. Synthroid has made a huge difference in my life.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe, I'm hitting a lull in the ER cycle - it has been 4 full years. (I'm not saying I want to go back to work!). See thread below
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-phase-of-er-long-time-erers-input-wanted-29005.html

All my thoughts might be in the context of being a little down (I felt this coming on for a month or so). And with the risk of being accused of a troll; I'm a bit bored and fearing a future of boredom or a rut. If you read some of posts I have been good moods before and posted some things to inspire others.

This may also be the case where women and their support system have it over men and their loner, goal orientated style and not like asking for help. Also, this is an example of knowing who you are and working with it. Depression does scares me. I had a medicine induced one years ago. I screwed up a few things because of it. So, I know what to look for and know enough to see a Dr.

I also, know I have a lot to be grateful about.

Sometimes I wish I was one of those people you read about who go back to school get a degree in law or something and help poor people. However, I don't have the attention span or attention for detail anymore. (I never was a very good student and corp life took the patience in me.)

Some things I've thought about in the past for while I was home was a teacher's aid. And if I really wanted a commitment, something I played with in my mind was the Peace Corps - doing what, where, I have no idea.

For those who think I would somehow be better off working; I can tell you I had similar feeling when working also, just different circumstances.
++++++
My signature below seems relevant now.
++++++
NPR doing a show on Arab youths having problems with unemployment, poverty, over population, tribal conflicts etc - I had to turn it off, I can't take it any more. I'm going to cut down on listening to AM/FM news/talk and only listen to my iPod.

Dex, I hope you work through this. I'm thinking of you on that mountain top - reaching for the sky - sun in your eyes - wind on your face...

I have often felt blue in the past, but it was just me. It was not caused by external factors like the news, I don't think. Usually, if I keep busy on something, I feel better, such as home improvements, repairs, etc... Travel would also fix the problem, but man, that is expensive medicine.

And god forbid, that activity sometimes involves w*rk for pay! I'll hasten to add that the w*rk is something I enjoy doing anyhow.

Sometimes I wish I was one of those people you read about who go back to school get a degree in law or something and help poor people. However, I don't have the attention span or attention for detail anymore. (I never was a very good student and corp life took the patience in me.)

Some things I've thought about in the past for while I was home was a teacher's aid. And if I really wanted a commitment, something I played with in my mind was the Peace Corps - doing what, where, I have no idea.

For those who think I would somehow be better off working; I can tell you I had similar feeling when working also, just different circumstances.

Habitat for Humanity?

Dex, I hope you work through this. I'm thinking of you on that mountain top - reaching for the sky - sun in your eyes - wind on your face...

Thanks, I some ways being so 'up' might be making this lull feel 'lower' - withdrawl from all those endorphins.

The Frugal Lifestyle

I turn most of it off, Dex. In fact, the most depressing stuff I get exposed to is from this forum! Fortunately there is also a lot of positive stuff on this forum to balance it. Overall, the whole concept of this forum is very positive and affirms taking charge on one's life/pursuit of happiness.

The rest of it - well all that media - TV or radio - is in the business of making you worry or angry so you'll stay tuned in so you can be "informed". But it's not really that informative or even relevant, is it?

I have lots of things going on in my own life. I can turn the outside world off and go about my business.

Well - I do have to pay attention to the tropical weather forecasts......

Audrey

P.S. Time to go RVing Dex!!!

I also found one of the self-help books for dealing with depression to be of some use. I can't remember the exact name of the book, but the author's name is Dr. David Burns, and the name of the book is something like "Cognitive Therapy", or that may be a subtitle under the main name.
The Dr. Burns stuff is really good. He teaches you how to recognize "cognitive distortions" (ways of thinking) that can lead to feeling down. These thinking patterns may seem perfectly logical on the surface, but if you dig down you find they are really distortions. Pretty straightforward stuff - no "motivation speeches" or any of that stuff. Just explanations of why it is not helpful or useful to get caught in these distortions.

Here is a list. His books - "Feeling Good" I think is one of them - go into details and give exercises that help you recognize and think your way out of your own personal distortions. Cognitive Distortions

This stuff should resonate with the "T" types (of all the INTJs on the board).

Audrey

Dex, if my pessimistic posts contributed to this, then I'm really sorry.

Purron, I hope you'll be purring again soon! Your cats are lucky to have someone like you!

This is an endorphin-inducing activity, definitely recommended:

YouTube - Spiderman, ALHC Showcase 2007

Have a standing cat:

Smile, you guys/gals are retired, you're the lucky ones! :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom