Men's health: stand up or sit down?

As I have seen scrawled on the restroom wall so many times,
No matter how you dance, no matter how you prance,
The last few drops go down your pants.

I am the one who takes the dog out before bed so it is stand up for sure for that one and no splashing worries. If up in the middle of the night I tend to sit as DW gets very miffed if anyone ever forgets to have the toilet seat in the 'ready' position. Otherwise standing. Two DSs so I can attest to the fact that it is mainly the post-void shake that requires subsequent attention. Very happy that there is no longer a shortage of Lysol wipes!

Two DSs so I can attest to the fact that it is [-]mainly[/-] the manly post-void shake that requires subsequent attention. Very happy that there is no longer a shortage of Lysol wipes!

Fixed that for ya !

Standing. And while in the back yard, standing also. On the golf course, behind a tree and standing. ;)

In public bathrooms always standing, but usually sitting when at home as no misses in the dark at night.

I stand but I shake into toilet paper.

I've got BPH, well controlled with tamsulosin every other day. I have found that I can make it through the night much better by standing up to pee. Before BPH I always sat to go at home. But that causes its own problems if I play too many games of solitaire.

My aim seems OK if I can hit the ceramic instead of the water. No splashback that way.

With BPH I have noticed that holding it too long means a very slow urination when I finally hit the bathroom. Slow to start, slow to go, and I'll be back soon after things relax a bit.

[...]For complete bladder emptying, I need to stand up.

But the problem is that it can create a mess, even if you have good aim. The splash back is a problem with most Western style toilets. [...] this creates a real mess.

OMG! The things I learn on the ER Forum. :LOL: Obviously I have no suggestions, except this: Any of you guys who live with your wife or sweetie, and have this problem, be sure to carefully and completely clean the bathroom up yourself every single time you "go", without fail. Otherwise it could become a source of arguments and unhappiness for both. Believe it or not, even the most loving wife or SO doesn't always feel blissfully happy at the prospect of cleaning up her hubby/SO's urine that he sprayed all over the bathroom. :sick:

I guess I can add this to my list of reasons why I prefer to live alone! :D

OMG! The things I learn on the ER Forum. :LOL: Obviously I have no suggestions, except this: Any of you guys who live with your wife or sweetie, and have this problem, be sure to carefully and completely clean the bathroom up yourself every single time you "go", without fail. Otherwise it could become a source of arguments and unhappiness for both. Believe it or not, even the most loving wife or SO doesn't always feel blissfully happy at the prospect of cleaning up her hubby/SO's urine that he sprayed all over the bathroom. :sick:

Agree and that's another reason why I sit down at home.:D

I'll sit down at home, but get this: The new house will have a urinal at that 5/8'ths bath right off the garage, as will the DADU bathroom in the shop. :)

I sit down because *I* do the cleaning :D

:DThis is a subject I've been interested in for over 30 years. I thought few would be interested in this but I am clearly mistaken. When we built our first house, I asked my wife for a place for a urinal. We couldn't find room in the design we selected. After many years of grumbling, when we decided to build again the urinal became a requirement. By that time my wife had found a water less urinal for our new home. I love it & so does my wife. Male visitors particularly younger visitors also like using it. Although I cleaned the old bathrooms there were still complaints about the odor of urine. It tends to find every cranny & builds up over time. The complaints of smell have ended. There is some maintenance but it is well worth the time & expense. I have found standing up to urinate at night is much easier than aiming at a circle several feet away.:dance:

Reminds me of what I heard a year or two ago about jeans allegedly needing to be washed very infrequently or not at all. I never believed that.

........... I have found standing up to urinate at night is much easier than aiming at a circle several feet away.:dance:
True, but there is always a yellow puddle under public urinals. I guess some people just can't aim to please.

Standing. And while in the back yard, standing also. On the golf course, behind a tree and standing. ;)

Just a comment from a person who lives in a golf course community. Needing to go doesn't make you turn invisible. If you can see our house, we can see you.

I generally stand if I only need to urinate. I tend to aim just above the water line on the back of the toilet which seems to minimize (but not eliminate) over spray. I only sit if I'm doing number 2, but find that no matter where I tuck the tail (so to speak) urine builds up on the under side of the toilet seat. I'm usually the one who cleans our toilets, so it's about the same cleanup either way.

Too much information, but I occasionally urinate in the shower. While this may seem gross to some, the pipes connect under the floor anyway so it's going the same place. And with the shower running over spray is not an issue. It's probably more hygienic than going in the toilet.

If I'm working outside, I generally prefer to urinate outside also (we're in a rural area and I hide behind the shed). It's faster and easier to unzip and go than to walk all the way back to the house, remove muddy shoes, do my business, put muddy shoes back on, and walk back to where I was working.

I've never been a fan of urinals. Even in public restrooms I opt for the regular toilet (seat up of course). Somehow I just feel like I'm peeing on the wall with a urinal. :) My brother-in-law is building a new house and is installing a urinal in their bathroom. I thought that was weird, but apparently it's a growing trend. To each their own.

I tend to drink a lot of liquids throughout the day, which means I urinate a lot too. Thankfully, I almost always sleep through the night without getting up to pee. The only aging side effect I have noticed is more "dribbling" after I'm done. The bladder is empty, but the pipes apparently take longer to clear than they used to. Ah, the joys of getting old.

OMG! The things I learn on the ER Forum. :LOL: Obviously I have no suggestions, except this: Any of you guys who live with your wife or sweetie, and have this problem, be sure to carefully and completely clean the bathroom up yourself every single time you "go", without fail.
Every man should have to clean bathrooms, toilets and the surrounding areas at least a few times. You'll have a new perspective on the problem. :) It is a different world today, but I suspect in the past many men never touched a toilet brush.

:DThis is a subject I've been interested in for over 30 years. I thought few would be interested in this but I am clearly mistaken. When we built our first house, I asked my wife for a place for a urinal.
You are not the only one! If we ever build new -- and I don't think we will -- I'd really try for this. I might want to keep it somewhat hidden in a large bathroom, maybe behind a partition.

I've never been a fan of urinals. Even in public restrooms I opt for the regular toilet (seat up of course). Somehow I just feel like I'm peeing on the wall with a urinal. :)
Well, men have been peeing against walls since the beginning of time. No shame there. Even the King James bible uses the literal translation in a few places of the old Hebrew idiom for "male," being "one who pisseth against the wall."

I bet the whomever cleaned up those walls were pissethed! I'll leave you with the actual verse for completeness.
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

Last edited:
Considering the sorry state of many public bathrooms I've seen, I'm not so convinced that urinals eliminate the aiming and splashback problem.

True, but there is always a yellow puddle under public urinals. I guess some people just can't aim to please.
More likely they need to stand a little closer. It may be shorter than they fantasize. :D

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom