Men's health: stand up or sit down?

My favorite spot...:cool:

Having had prostate cancer, I had the catheter for 13 days post surgery. The surgery can, as can the catheter, alter things down there a little. What used to be a stream is now more often than not a spray. So I sit, unless I’m at a urinal...or a tree. Given Covid, there hasn’t been much standing in the past year.

Bummer dude. I like pissing in the dirt. I got a lotta dirt too. I'll be Q'in in the back, just step to the side of the patio and...

Hey if I have people, I can go behind the big trees and...

I'm not trying to be funny here! This is mostly for the guys, but any comments are welcome.

I'm talking about urination.

Recent news stories and even research articles suggest that sitting down is better for full elimination, especially if you have something like BPH.

I find this doesn't work for me. For complete bladder emptying, I need to stand up.

But the problem is that it can create a mess, even if you have good aim. The splash back is a problem with most Western style toilets. After ER and the pandemic lock-down, most Waste Elimination Events (wee?) are now at home. The water closet is getting overtime usage. I'm our household water closet maintainer, and I recognize that this creates a real mess. You get spots on the walls or nearby toilets from the fine splashes. It builds up over time, and can actually cause damage. I think the recent articles about sitting down are a conspiracy of sorts to help out the WC maintainers, and I can't blame them as I am one of them.

Short of installing a home-value-killing urinal, I'm at a loss to fix this. I guess I could wipe everything down every day, but what a pain. I also don't want to put up plastic wall barriers or anything.

What do you all do? Stand, sit, both? Anyone else with BPH find sitting helps? It sure doesn't for me. How in the heck do you keep everything clean? I know I can't be the only one.

So true! At home I prefer sitting because the splash back mess from standing. If I’m out, urinals are great, if I remodeled my bathroom, I’d look into adding one (and a bidet)!

I thought it was just me! We have a marble floor in the powder room (shiny marble in a bathroom probably ranks as one of the worst ideas of my life, but that's another topic). Years of standing caused it to get dull, so I started sitting. The floor is still dull, but at least it's a clean dull :)

I sit down because *I* do the cleaning :D
Ditto. At the present time I don't think that sitting prevents me from fully emptying my bladder.

One of my pet peeves is the requirement that, in public restrooms that only have one urinal, the urinal is mounted low enough for children to use. Well, I'm 6' 3" and it's hard for me to hit a kids height urinal without peeing on top of the darn thing. Kids can pee in the toilet. Mount the urinals at adult height please.

Prefer standing up, outdoors. Unfortunately at home in daytime it is not an option. Lack of privacy and da*n nosy neighbors ready to complain.
At 14 acre camp privay is defined, can stand and deliver nutients to grass any time of day, as often as necessary. And saves water, no need to flush.

I only sit if it's also time for a dump.

What's nice about living out in the country is that we can save on water and not have to clean the bathrooms as much.

We just pee off the back porch. No neighbors are out there to see us either.

What's nice about living out in the country is that we can save on water and not have to clean the bathrooms as much.

About the same here... but living in a camper, our bathroom walls are very close together... on all 4 sides... so 95% of just taking a leak inside is a sitting job.

Used to sit at night to keep from waking DW with a light or finding I had missed completely. Now she is banished to another room due to her snoring and I must stand to get things as empty as possible.

Aging is not for the weak.

I got my Covid shot, now I can pee like a teenager!
OK, not really, but I can wish.:LOL:

Used to sit at night to keep from waking DW with a light or finding I had missed completely. Now she is banished to another room due to her snoring and I must stand to get things as empty as possible.

Aging is not for the weak.

Interesting as it is not obvious to me that standing to pee has a better emptying result.

Interesting as it is not obvious to me that standing to pee has a better emptying result.

I haven't noticed that either, but then, I the finish peeing, stand and wait 10 or 15 seconds then finish again.

Back
Top Bottom