Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I was at a penny ante poker/moon landing party with extended family and friends. At the "giant leap for mankind" moment, the poker players took a break.....for about 60 seconds. Then somebody said "deal the damn cards".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #42

Probably at home. I wasn't even 4 years old.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
The Vietnam War was raging, and everybody in our unit was well aware of this. For this reason, for me, the Moon landing and the Vietnam War are joined at the hip. A few years ago, I was surprised to learn to many younger people have no idea the the Moon landing was contemporaneous with the Vietnam War.
Well, I have to admit that even at 14, the two things seemed very separate to me. War was a somewhat vague concept even though it was on our TV so often - something that grownups were worried about and something my older brother would be more worried about in a few short years.

But a 14 year old can be very impressed by rockets with millions of pounds of thrust that shake building miles away, stuff floating in zero gravity. That seems more "real" to a kid, I guess.

-ERD50
Old 07-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I was in the backseat of my 1960 VW about to nail kiss my g/f when my brother knocked on the window and said the lunar landing is about to take place. She said "Oh....let's go watch". For some reason, the moon landing didn't do a thing for me that day.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On Rhapsody - Damon Bramblett: Nobody Wants To Go To The Moon Anymore

Rhapsody Player

Kelly Willis:

Kelly Willis -- Nobody Wants To Go To The Moon Anymore
Old 07-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

When Armstrong first stepped on the surface of the moon I was having sex. I planned it that way, believe it or not. (Had the radio on, as I did not own a TV) I wanted to always remember what I was doing at such an historic moment. The funny thing is, I do not recall who my partner was at the time.

I wonder if she recalls it as favorably as I do?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
Right after 9/11 there were many talking heads saying things like "life in America will never be the same again".
Similarly to Al, I've seen little noticeable difference in our daily lives other than hassles at airports due to that day. In both cases I don't get why they make these type of statements. Is it for dramatic effect?
I think both event did change everything, maybe not on a day to day living situation but in the views of the leaders and probably most thinking folks (The clueless folks in Jay Leno's jaywalkers and their ilk are exempt.)

After the moon landing people realized that weren't trapped on this blue planet, but also got vivid reminder what special place earth is.

After 9/11 Americans got realized that a couple of oceans and massive military weren't sufficient to keep us safe and a vivid reminder that their is a large group of people out there who want to kill us.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
After the moon landing people realized that weren't trapped on this blue planet, but also got vivid reminder what special place earth is.
Yes...hopefully we'll stop taking things for granted. The moon landing should be a reminder to us all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
After 9/11 Americans got realized that a couple of oceans and massive military weren't sufficient to keep us safe and a vivid reminder that their is a large group of people out there who want to kill us.
9/11 marked the most fearful day of my life. I felt horribly exposed that day and months afterwards. The feeling of exposure is not as intense now, but it's still there.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #49

I was vacationing in Myrtle Beach, SC with my parents. I was 15. Saw it on the motel TV.

Free to canoe
Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
When Armstrong first stepped on the surface of the moon I was having sex. I planned it that way, believe it or not. (Had the radio on, as I did not own a TV) I wanted to always remember what I was doing at such an historic moment. The funny thing is, I do not recall who my partner was at the time.

I wonder if she recalls it as favorably as I do?
LOL!

BTW, did she say "That's one small ____ for a man?"
Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #51

Washington, DC, during the time I worked on Capitol Hill. Remember being in a small club/bar place there--being the date of the solo guitar/singer/entertainer guy and flirting with the owner that night, too. The entertainer did not find that amusing of me, by the way. I was young and into having fun during that time....ahhhh...the carefree days (wish they were here now)!
Anyway, we all stopped the music and watched the landing on t.v. for an hour or so. It was pretty amazing, but so beyond anything I had any comprehension of it was almost unreal to me at that time.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Buzz Aldrin, he's still my hero!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't believe no one has said "the earth".

I watched a program last night showing the moon landing. It sent shivers up and down my spine.

I feel inclined to post this....
You and me, babe!

Quote:
9/11 marked the most fearful day of my life. I felt horribly exposed that day and months afterwards. The feeling of exposure is not as intense now, but it's still there.
I was not fearful. I was mad. Still am. I tried to re-enlist right then. (Don't tell my wife.) Too damned old, though. If I expanded on my true feelings here, I would be run off the board. Let's just say I would still re-up today if I could.

gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

A bit of context. Bart is one of the "moon landing was hoax" nut cases. Bart had trespassed on Buzz property and stalked bunch of astronauts. Not surprisingly the LA DA declined to press charges against Buzz

The lighter side of Buzz is shown here with Snoop Dog
Making of Buzz Aldrin's Rocket Experience w/ Snoop Dogg and Talib Kweli from Buzz Aldrin, FOD Team, Ryan Perez, and Snoop Dogg - Video

Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #55

Oprah had on Holocaust survivors once years ago on her show. Tons and tons of people called in to say that the Holocaust NEVER happened, also. Oprah drug out her Producer (who was Jewish) to show how upset this made her employee. Where these nut-jobs get these ideas I'll never know, but they seem to be all over. The equivalent of the guys who stand at the corner saying the world is coming to an end I guess. Nut-jobs!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
heh-heh - maybe Buzz should go on "The View", Whoppie needs some sense knocked into her...

She acknowledges that the film with the fake moon landing conspiracy theory was "just a movie", but she actually wonders about a couple points ...

Whoopi: Who is holding the camera? Geez, you've never seen a tripod?

Whoopi: The flag is rippled, but there is no air on the moon? Geez, the engineers thought about that Whoopi, and had the flag formed into that position. Ask before showing your stupidity (and I will call it stupidity, not ignorance. A smart person who is ignorant of a fact would ask the question to find out, a stupid person would think that they "know something" based on their ignorance).

And if she studied the moon landing, she would learn that the blast from the LEM taking off blew the flag over. Now, if they faked it, you think they would do that (one of a million reasons it's stupid to seriously discuss the idea it was faked)?

-ERD50
Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
You and me, babe!
Thanks gypsy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I was not fearful. I was mad. Still am. I tried to re-enlist right then. (Don't tell my wife.) Too damned old, though. If I expanded on my true feelings here, I would be run off the board. Let's just say I would still re-up today if I could.

gypsy
I flew not longer after 9/11. Believe me, if someone tried to take the flight over, I'd be one of the first to take them down. If you were on my flight, I know they wouldn't stand a chance....
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When Armstrong first stepped on the surface of the moon I was having sex. I planned it that way, believe it or not.
I got it, I got it:

That's one small schtup for man...

Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was in a hospital room in Poughkeepsie, NY with a diabetic leg wound infection and tethered to an IV. I was 15. I was the only patient on my floor who was interested. I had about 15 nurses and staff in my room watching. My roommate slept through the whole thing.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #60

That's just a sad comment, MikeD, regarding our citizens. Hopefully, the medical profession wasn't interested, because they were way too busy saving lives. Gosh, I hope so, anyway.