Food Shopping

I really miss Central Market since moving from Tx to WA.
Trader Joes.... not so much, or the one store I found an hour away is extra small with very limited selection.

More than 30 years ago, I crossed from France to Germany on my bike and immediately encountered another American cyclist. We started chatting and soon learned we both needed to stop at a food store. He said to me, "Let's go to the funny market". I said, "What's the funny market?" "What", he said, "you've never been to an Aldi?" That was my introduction to Aldi.

I had no idea they have opened stores in the US until I saw one in Wisconsin over 5 years ago.

BTW, Aldi bought Trader Joe's; they were not the founders of the chain. They seem to have left the outstanding California-based management in place.

I was stunned that my WF has some loaves of bread running for nearly $10. Although this is a fancier sprout less, flour less, tasteless, variety. I think the regular loaves are maybe $4?
I was stunned to see frozen turkeys at Whole Foods that were over $100 each. Musta loved them birds. :blush:

They don't call it "Whole Paycheck" for nuthun! :LOL:

Now I don't have a paycheck, have to call it Whole Pension. Come to think if it, I don't have a pension, either. Whole Portfolio?

We purchase a cow each year from a local farmer and then split it with three other neighbors. Cheaper and tastes better in my opinion, although trying to figure out what to do with some of the cuts can be adventurous. I am going to check in and see if I can get pork and chicken from some local farmers as well.

Other groceries are split between Costco and our local grocery store about 50/50. What really helps us is that we plan our meals for the week on Sunday, make a list and then go shopping for what we need. I am guessing that many on this forum also utilize a similar approach to grocery shopping?

Local farm for meats, milk, eggs and poultry year round and veggies start in the Spring until October/November. Yes, it's more expensive but I know where the foods coming from.
One of the warehouse clubs (Costco, Sam's or BJ's) for bulk items like paper towels, soaps and fruit. I've also started buying my husband's OTC allergy medicine (although you need to hand over your drivers license) Claritin D at Costco. I was buying it at Walmart for $18.99 but Costco has it for $14.49. Giant or Acme food stores a few items. All of these places are pretty close to my house.
We also have a group of farmers, bakers and crafty people that gather at the borough hall once a week April to October/November. They sell handmade soap, lotions, fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, meats, breads, cookies, greeting cards. There are different types of musicians playing and a book swop too. LOVE the gluten free cookies and scones from the one baker. This is probably where I spend the money I saved at Costco on the Claritin D. LOL

Primarily H.E.B. Sometimes Kroger which is a little closer to us, but more expensive and for a couple of items HEB doesn't carry. We buy one item at Walmart (which I otherwise avoid but can't find this item anywhere else).

An Aldi's and Trader Joe's was recently put in about 20 minutes each away from us. We looked at both of them and haven't been back. I liked Aldi's better. It does have good prices, but not really better than HEB and HEB has far more selection.

Usually Martins/Giant but occasionally Safeway and Food Lion if we're going past there anyway. When in season, local farmer's markets for fresher locally-grown veggies.

There is a Walmart nearby, but it's a pain to get to, the parking is a hike, the clientele a bit strange, and the lines are long so very rarely go there.

We purchase a cow each year from a local farmer and then split it with three other neighbors.

That is wonderful! I wish I could do that.

What really helps us is that we plan our meals for the week on Sunday, make a list and then go shopping for what we need. I am guessing that many on this forum also utilize a similar approach to grocery shopping?

Just the opposite, actually. I visit the stores and look to see what looks good and is priced right, then decide what to cook based on what I bought.

Caputo's Market. A small chain only in the Chicago area as far as I know. Excellent for produce and deli. Acceptable for everything else.

I'll also go to a major chain store if they advertise a really good special on something I want to stock up on.

I visit the stores and look to see what looks good and is priced right, then decide what to cook based on what I bought.

I do this quite a bit too. I'll have a short list of "must haves" we're running low on. After that, meals are built around what looks good that week.

What W2R said goes for me as well.

I've been in the local WF exactly once but was creeped out by the regulars.

Some of the regulars at WalMart creep me out. I go there because the next closest place is another 5 miles away. When I'm in the big city I stop by Costco and buy paper goods and the few items that I can use as a single person. I prefer Kroger. It is called King Soopers or City Market in Colorado. Kroger also owns Harris Teeter.

We visit Costco roughly monthly. We buy meat and fish and produce there. Not so much packaged foods since we don't buy that much any more.

DW prefers Meijers for weekly visit. Milk, eggs, more produce and sundries.

When I shop, I favor Kroger. It has a few items that Meijers doesn't have that I like. Their "fuel rewards" program is better than Meijers' too.

We have a new Aldi which we haven't tried yet. Also WalMart and Giant Eagle which we almost never visit. Whole Food would get some of our business, but it's a half hour away, so we only visit there a couple of times a year - though I do like their cheese selection.

Where do you shop for food?
So, where do YOU shop? Costco? How does one buy for two persons at Costco? Whole Foods?

Slow day... waiting for time change and the promised 32 degree temperature.

We have a great farmers market in Atlanta. Get 99% of our meat there and
all of our fresh veggies.
Aldi's and Target make up the rest of the food budget. Have only been to
a supermarket once or twice since retiring 2 yrs ago. the prices are way
to high.

........ I've also started buying my husband's OTC allergy medicine (although you need to hand over your drivers license) Claritin D at Costco. I was buying it at Walmart for $18.99 but Costco has it for $14.49. ........
Costco has a Kirkland generic equivalent for Claritin D that is only about $6 for same dosage / number of tablets.

Costco and Trader Joes mostly. The regular Kroger market for the things we can't get at the previous two. Farmers markets in the spring and summer for fresh local veggies

Costco has a Kirkland generic equivalent for Claritin D that is only about $6 for same dosage / number of tablets.

Costco charges $4.69 for 600 tabs of the generic equivalent of Benedryl. We picked up a bottle for dear FIL.

We shop at Sam's Club, Wal-Mart and Kroger. I used to shop frequently at Aldi's. I would drive past it when going to and from work from my career job. I do not go very often now, as it is on the other side of town, about 5 1/2 miles away. I will probably go once every month or two, after the weather gets better. I don't think I have been there since fall. I liked shopping there, but would always need to stop at another store on the way home. I buy certain things at Wal-Mart, and try to stock up, so that I don't have to go there as often.

HEB (major Texas grocery chain) and Costco, with very occasional stops at a Sprouts and an oriental market.

We buy quite a few groceries online - some from Amazon and a few specialty Internet food suppliers.

Love Aldis. I stop there first and what I can't find there I then get at SuperTarget. The Aldi in my area has a growing selection of organic foods (although, so far, not milk or meat, both of which I get at SuperTarget). I've been very pleased with Aldi's paper products such as paper towels, garbage bags, baggies, etc.--far less expensive and better than a lot of national brands.

Costco charges $4.69 for 600 tabs of the generic equivalent of Benedryl. We picked up a bottle for dear FIL.

Wow, that's great and I use Benadryl/Generic. I have good luck with generic brands but my husband doesn't. Wonder if it has to do with our different body chemistry's, chemical makeup of drug or just mind game.

I have good luck with generic brands but my husband doesn't. Wonder if it has to do with our different body chemistry's, chemical makeup of drug or just mind game.
If it is a particular generic drug, it might be body chemistry. If it is all generics, it's in his mind.

Back
Top Bottom