frugal work clothes

I am a bit limited as far as just buying off the rack. I need tall sizes when I buy long sleeve shirts and I need a 36 inseam. I also need to find shoes that are at least a size 15, maybe 16.

You can also scour amazon. This is a bit risky, since you’ll have to go to the hassle of shipping them back if they don’t fit. But it’s a quick way to sift through a lot of options for your physique.

For special sizing and reasonable price, you can try Lands End online. Congratulations on the new job!

hanes.com is a pretty good place for inexpensive polo shirts. They always seem to have some kind of sale going on (today is 20% off everything) and free shipping. Recently I bought a couple of red pocket polos to wear on Red Cross deployments and they cost me $7 each. I just bought a couple of "Beefy Pocket Tees" today for $5.60 each.

I tried to order some stuff from Hanes.com and when I went to checkout I couldn't figure out how to enter credit card info. They only had options for Paypal which I don't use. Do they accept CCs?

I tried to order some stuff from Hanes.com and when I went to checkout I couldn't figure out how to enter credit card info. They only had options for Paypal which I don't use. Do they accept CCs?

We are having the same issue, Paypal only. Abandoned the order.

When business casual was taking hold in the late 90s I worked at a firm where we still wore ties but no jackets except Fridays. One day it dawned on us that the clients all showed up for meetings in polo shirts. :facepalm:

Good luck! I would agree it doesn’t have to be fancy and that anything from Target, Kohl’s or Costco would be the way to go.

You can also scour amazon. This is a bit risky, since you’ll have to go to the hassle of shipping them back if they don’t fit. But it’s a quick way to sift through a lot of options for your physique.

Amazon has gotten better if you have Prime. You just take it to a local UPS Store for free shipping back, and they even box it up for you.

I stumbled across this site a while back and was impressed enough that I bookmarked it. I haven't bought anything there yet so I can't say how the service/quality is but it certainly looks like a good idea:

https://usedworkclothing.com/

Best of luck to you in the new job!

For special sizing and reasonable price, you can try Lands End online. Congratulations on the new job!

Second on Lands' End, especially if you can get down to Madison or Dodgeville and shop their outlet stores. I bought a bunch of office wear from the outlet clearance racks over the years, and they usually have a fair amount of big/tall stuff. Some of the products are returns or seconds, but the flaws are usually impossible to spot, like a crooked seam.

Another outlet store I like is Eddie Bauer. Their clothing is generally high quality, they stock bigger sizes and they have deeply discounted clearance items. They're at outlet malls in Oshkosh and Wis. Dells, among other places.

Big shoes are harder to shop for. I wear a 12E and find most big-box stores have little to offer. It's easiest to buy online from Zappos.

Umm. :)
Secondhand stores like Savers, Goodwill, Salvationarmy and others all have retail locations.
Id suggest you explore some.
Good luck!

+1 Salvation Army and Goodwill have a lot of mens' dress clothing. Even Target has some really low prices on closeout merchandise.
+1 The day i retired, I sent Salvation Army 2 dozen of my dress shirts. I saved a couple, however

Goodwill and Savers are worth a look. Aside from where you shop, I suggest developing a basic uniform, so that any of your shirts go with any of your pants. That way, you need fewer of both - only enough to make it from one wash to the next -- and you probably can get by with a single pair of shoes. My last 12 years of work, I wore minor variations on khaki pants, a blue button-down dress shirt and brown shoes every day. Also, I could get dressed in the dark.

Goodwill and Savers are worth a look. Aside from where you shop, I suggest developing a basic uniform, so that any of your shirts go with any of your pants. That way, you need fewer of both - only enough to make it from one wash to the next -- and you probably can get by with a single pair of shoes. My last 12 years of work, I wore minor variations on khaki pants, a blue button-down dress shirt and brown shoes every day. Also, I could get dressed in the dark.

Too big a wardrobe has its risks! I remember driving to w*ork one day and noticing I had a cap-toe oxford on one foot and a wing tip on the other.

If you check with good will they have days when everything in the store is 1 dollar. around here it is when the weather cancels school and certain other days, you would have to check. don't know if this works where you are, but it does in iowa. and when it says everything it means anything in the store. I bought a nice bike a couple of winters ago that was marked 50 dollars for 1 dollar.

I stumbled across this site a while back and was impressed enough that I bookmarked it. I haven't bought anything there yet so I can't say how the service/quality is but it certainly looks like a good idea:

https://usedworkclothing.com/

Best of luck to you in the new job!

Start with second hand.^^^

As others also said: Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Spend pennies on the dollar.

Best!

I don't mean to get off point, could you post on how you like the call center job. I am in the same situation with blue collar work and now cannot do the work but inbound sales are availabe to me from home.

Take a look at this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Clock-Low-Wage-Drives-America-Insane/dp/0316509000

The author spent time w*rking in an Amazon warehouse, a call center, and a McDonald's. It's a fairly short read but I think it would be worthwhile for anyone looking to w*rk in any of those industries. I have done the warehouse gig and LOTS of restaurants gigs and can say that many of the points she makes is on point.

As far as clothes, I have found the the khaki slacks at Wal Mart are pretty good. The last few I bought were less than $10 each and have lasted a long time. For shoes, I would recommend loafers that are made by Crocs. They aren't what you might expect, but they are very comfortable.

Yes, definitely start out at Goodwill. They are filled with biz casual. Some cities have charities that provide office clothes for folks starting out, like you. And WalMart has polo shirts used for school uniforms for about $5, if you are small enough. Then after a few paychecks you can go on to department stores. Best of luck to you!

Also, don't think just in terms of source and cost. Restrict your colors. Choose either a "brown" or a "black" wardrobe - the color of the shoe first. Then, buy only items that go together with those colors. Don't buy anything brown or tan, etc. if you are going with black shoes, and don't buy anything gray or black or navy if you are going with brown shoes. This may be more useful to women. But once I decided on this course, I rotated black, navy, and gray bottoms with tops that went with any of these colors, and completely avoided any brown shoes, handbags, accessories. It did save money.

+3 on Koh!s.
Picked up some Croft and Barrow polos for $10 and kahkis for $, a pair of Dockers for $12. They don't look like they'll last long, but will give me a reason to toss them when I get a stain. Weird store though. One shelf had shirts for $20, same shirts on another area for $10.
Find a friend with a Kohls card who knows how to work their "cash" back game and you can save on brand names too.

I find Kohls really good for low cost clothing.
If OP has one close, he can apply for a kohl's credit card (gives up to 30% discount each month mailed to him).
The Croft & Barrow makes button-down shirts, I bought a bunch for traveling, paying about $10 ea.

They have a Big and Tall Section which is ideal for OP.

It's true, they will have different locations of the same shirt/pants for different prices. They often have a few racks of hundreds of pants and shirts on clearance.

OP may have some luck searching through thrift stores, but I find men keep clothes until worn out, or keep them until the style is 10 yrs past out of date. However, it's free to look :)

Dress commensurately with pay

I have worked blue collar jobs my whole life but due to a total hip replacement I have to start over with office work. I have no degree or experience so I was lucky to get a $13.50/hr call center job. I will have to wear business casual clothing. Any ideas on how to source office attire at reasonable prices? With a salary under $30K I can't spend big money for a new wardrobe but do need some acceptable business casual clothing. What do you think is the minimum acceptable amount of clothing? If it helps I am a thin, tall, 40 year old male. Thanks.

They’re paying you $13.50. Dress like they pay.

Good luck in the new gig, Aaron. If anyone else hasn't mentioned it, if you have Ross Stores they are a good resource (here anyway). Otherwise I'd go with a thrift shop. Good deals on often very gently worn items. I'd aim to dress a notch up from required if you can swing it.

Also, don't think just in terms of source and cost. Restrict your colors. Choose either a "brown" or a "black" wardrobe - the color of the shoe first. Then, buy only items that go together with those colors. Don't buy anything brown or tan, etc. if you are going with black shoes, and don't buy anything gray or black or navy if you are going with brown shoes. This may be more useful to women.

I think this works fine for men too. Interchangeable gray and black pants with lots of white dress shirts.

Keep in mind you’re getting fashion tips from us “older” folks.
You need to fit in, so my suggestion is go to places like Banana Republic or Nordstrom’s Rack if you have one near by. Buy contemporary styles on sale. At least you’ll look like you put thought into it. There are no more rules for dress. You can wear brown shoes with black. Black shoes with brown. Just make sure the belt matches the shoes.
PRO tip. Find a brand that fits that you like and then search for that brand and size on eBay. I buy everything and anything I want on eBay at a fraction of retail. I just wait for my size in a brand I know that works for me and boom. I buy it. I rarely pay retail. I then sell my older clothes on eBay as well.

Wait. Men's clothes styles change?
You can have my powder blue leisure suit when you pry it from my cold dead hands!
I find Kohls really good for low cost clothing.
If OP has one close, he can apply for a kohl's credit card (gives up to 30% discount each month mailed to him).
The Croft & Barrow makes button-down shirts, I bought a bunch for traveling, paying about $10 ea.

They have a Big and Tall Section which is ideal for OP.

It's true, they will have different locations of the same shirt/pants for different prices. They often have a few racks of hundreds of pants and shirts on clearance.

OP may have some luck searching through thrift stores, but I find men keep clothes until worn out, or keep them until the style is 10 yrs past out of date. However, it's free to look :)

Back
Top Bottom