Funny or Not?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As part of my Twitter marketing, I post things that are not advertisements or promos. I've put together some funny pictures that crack me up, but I've gotten zero response from the Twitterverse.

So, funny or not?

Attachments

• GarlicAgain.jpg
    GarlicAgain.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 53
  • NoMorePromoTweets.jpg
    NoMorePromoTweets.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 49
  • StinkingBadges.jpg
    StinkingBadges.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 49
FWIW, Middle one got a wry smile. The other two, mehh.

(But, I'm usually not very representative....)

Getting DW to retire?

I retired from federal civil service in 2012 at the earliest possible date. The wife became eligible last year, but regardless of my presentations, declines to walk..

She comments about boredom, and being pissed off at the job.
We do not need the money.
She comments about traveling, but it is her job that prevents such.

Does anyone have a “miracle” cure to get a spouse to retire?

I retired from federal civil service in 2012 at the earliest possible date. The wife became eligible last year, but regardless of my presentations, declines to walk..

You post this in a threat titled "Funny or Not?".

I don't see the humor in it...

Best hijack ever. :)

Good feedback. I often crack myself up, and it's not funny to other people.

There was a post about money buying happiness. It mentioned the arts and music as releasing endorphins and ...happiness.. There was a picture of a nice guitar amp. I bought in as spending money to create music. Then the twist as the guitar amp opened to reveal the amp as camo for a fridge stocked with beer.

It was the twist that got me. Sorry, but the dubs weren't twisted enough in a way I found funny, but there is real potential in them.

Humor is a funny thing. And it's individual.

Regardless of the amount of 'funny' I got from each one (and that can vary by the day, my mood, etc), they didn't strike me as funny enough to comment on.

Doesn't mean they're not funny, but are they funny in an interactive kind if way?

As devans0 put it, maybe not enough 'twist' to draw comments?

-ERD50

I liked the garlic one. It took me a minute to get past the visual of the bright blue emergency suits and see that the hoses were connected. Delayed chuckle. :LOL:

The other images were great, but try again on the captions.

If you and I were sitting together looking at pictures, and you came up with those captions for those pictures, I would definitely laugh.

As pre-manufactured captions, just sitting out there, they're not quite original or topical enough. They might be hilarious in the right topical thread, though.

Amethyst

I hope no-one takes offense at this post but I just had to comment. The pictures with captions didn't really hit my funny bone, I'm afraid. However, I did find it quite humourous that in a forum with a lot of engineers, scientists and generally analytical types, a poster is asking for feedback on whether something is funny. We shouldn't need to discuss these things in detail - something is either funny or it isn't.

Honestly, no offense intended. If it helps any, I often tend to filter things through my rationale first and am quite often the one person in a group who understands why something is funny (i.e. I can understand why everyone else is laughing), but wasn't actually moved to laugh myself. In other words, my brain is saying to itself, "I can see how people would think that was funny" while at the same time I don't actually think it's funny.

I have probably already said too much......... :LOL:

In context your captions are probably funnier, T-Al, if they go with some written text of yours or even some particular thread here as illustrations (I could see the monster movie poster in your thread about twitter). They are probably funny to your family and friends no matter what. But standing alone, it's hard for me to know where the humor is.

Cartoonists are probably the funniest people--they create an image and know just the perfect line for it, and sometimes even they fail. Our local paper has a contest each week for readers to write a caption for an editorial cartoon, and the winners are never very funny. I always want to know what the cartoonist would have written. It's a really special talent.

But that guy who created Jenny's birthday card is quite obviously in the top 1 percent of funny people (oh wait, that's you!):

... However, I did find it quite humourous that in a forum with a lot of engineers, scientists and generally analytical types, a poster is asking for feedback on whether something is funny. We shouldn't need to discuss these things in detail - something is either funny or it isn't.

I think it is some of both. Sure, something just 'hits us' as funny or not, that's the 'fast thinking' part of our brain. But then you can analyse it, to get some deeper understanding of why (the 'slow thinking' brain).

I'm sure comedians do this, they must. Do they come up with a joke, and that's it? Or do they try variations, different deliveries, timing, etc. That's analysis, no?

-ERD50

Al, no offense meant but I didn't think they were funny at all (I have been told numerous times that I have no sense of humor, though). To me they were borderline ghastly.

Major Tom said:
We shouldn't need to discuss these things in detail - something is either funny or it isn't.

True, for any one given individual. However what might strike most people as funny often isn't funny to me at all, and vice versa. It's sort of like paying off the mortgage. To me that is a no-brainer but others just live in some alternate universe (or maybe I do), and I respect that fact.

What was that saying again - "Funny ha-ha or funny peculiar?"
Brings back memories of my college roommate. :) He was from Colombia, when he arrived he spoke very little English and, like many of us when learning another language, made many mistakes. Some laughed and said he sounded "funny"; when that happened he usually turned to me and in a low voice asked "funny strange or funny ha ha".

....But that guy who created Jenny's birthday card is quite obviously in the top 1 percent of funny people (oh wait, that's you!):

B-W-E, thanks for bring that up again. It's hilarious!

T-Al, I want to make a comment about your "Used Vacuum" thread. Someone there said buying a used vacuum is something you shouldn't do, it's like buying used underwear.
I thought that was totally ridiculous. There is NO REASON Anyone should consider buying used underwear... not when they can poke it out of a dumpster with a stick for free!

Personally, I liked the garlic one (perhaps the fact that my dad's side is 100% Sicilian might have a little to do with it). But as others have said, humor is very subjective. There is some content that is liked by 80% of people, but a majority of things in the humor world are not 'universal'. The other two were a fair attempt - definitely not a "fail", but not funny enough to pass around.

But that guy who created Jenny's birthday card is quite obviously in the top 1 percent of funny people (oh wait, that's you!):

Wow, hadn't seen T-Al's talent in that before - was hilarious! Thanks for posting!

Tom, you're "funny"... :D

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little $#$@ up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to #@$#@ amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?" ......Tommy Devito

Back
Top Bottom