Generation Jones - WOO HOO!!

What else could I do? I lived in a mud hut......:whistle:

bbbamI, No worries - Bobby Sherman was a prime target of teen girl adoration and many of us shared similar infatuations with cute guys frequently featured in "Tiger Beat" magazine. Here are a few other examples that come to mind:

Attachments

• Leif.jpg
    Leif.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Donny.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Davy.jpg
    Davy.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Rick.jpg
    Rick.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnny.jpg
    Johnny.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
Purron, who is the first guy in your pics? Girl hair. Safely androgynous for the 12 year old set.

My signature...I was 15 when this song came out.

Crank up the speakers, sit back, relax, and hear three excellent guitarists carve out their special place in musical history...
YouTube - FreeBird-Lynyrd Skynyrd-Lyrics Included

freebird - please, please, please read to the end ( I did some grunt work physical labor today, DW cooked a fantastic meal, and I finished most of a bottle of wine we've had aging in the cellar for a few years, so keep that in mind) ....

OK, for some of us a few years older than you, the song FreeBird is a bit of a characture, or cliche' as your wiki ref puts it.

Hey, it *is* a great song, and a *great* performance, by a *great* band. However, for people my age it has been *overplayed* to death, and I've been known to beat a dead horse or three, so that means something.

However, one thing I've learned is, many, many *overplayed* songs are overplayed for a reason. They were great songs to begin with. And this youtube clip is great, because it sort of pokes fun at the whole thing, but in a reverent way. And I *totally* enjoyed listening to it. Thanks.

It is so cool how it starts out like a ballad, then *hints* at the double time, and then *does* the double time, (and I kinda lost track), but I think they double it again. And three great guitar players battling it out in full co-operation is something to behold (one of the most amazing concerts I attended was John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola, and Paco de' Lucia - on acoustic guitars - check out the CD Friday night in San Francisco for a taste of that)!

So that was good.

Now, considering that, and how I've heard it far too often, on far too many 'classic rock' stations, , I got a huge kick out of this (from your wiki link)

The band Modest Mouse, at a live concert, refused a request to play "Free Bird" because, along with the fact that they didn't know how to play it, "Even if some deity, pick your god, whoever, came down from the heavens, or the hills, or wherever your deity lives, and blessed us with this vast knowledge of Free Bird, we could play it backward, we could sing backward, we could do all that crazy ****, we wouldn't play it.

If this was the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and you were gonna die in 20 minutes, just enough time to play Free Bird, we still just wouldn't play it."
sorry, that just had me laughing so hard I was crying. Thanks for the link. Thanks for the great song. Thanks for the laugh.

Purron, who is the first guy in your pics? Girl hair. Safely androgynous for the 12 year old set.

My thoughts exactly ( but I would have had a hard time spelling "androgynous" - we used to use Anhydrous Ammonia on the farm - but I guess that's different? ).... Oh, I see it was answered - still don't know who that is ;) (edit/add: ewww, I watched it. It *is*bad :( )

Where's my wine glass?....

-ERD50

Oh man, that was bad!

And after my time. :)

Oh yea, Leif was pretty much a major tool. Cute hair and tight pants never did it for me but plenty of young girls did idolize this guy. Just curious Martha, did you ever have a tween crush on some celeb? If so, might I be so bold as to inquire who it was?

Personally, "Gimme Three Steps" is the Skynard song that captures my early years.:angel:

DW and I went to Ocean City MD for our honeymoon (we were very poor). The biggest thing that happened outside of the room was seeing Davey Jones in the local record shop signing autographs. She was very excited. Which made me happy. ;)

I'm a Skynyrd fan from way back - but Freebird (while a special tune in it's own right) does not come close to the top of my personal Skynyrd list - most of which did not get a lot of airplay:

Not necessarily in this order, but the following come to mind:

Call Me the Breeze
Cry for the Bad Man
Searchin
Needle & the Spoon
That Smell
On the Hunt
Searchin
Workin for MCA
Made in the Shade
Simple Man
Mississippi Kid
I Know a Little

It'd be hard to pick a favorite.

According to Wikipedia's definition of "Generation Jones" - I was born smack dab in the middle of it - "Generation Jones is a term used to describe the generation of people born between 1954 and 1965."

so I guess this tune I remember qualifies as a "Jones" tune also:

YouTube - Brownsville station "smokin in the boys room & barefootin"

I recall having to convince somebody one time that was not originally a Motley Crue song.

(DD plays bass & I'd love to have her watch this video just so I could hear her play that bass line to Smokin - but I don't want her to see the bassist in that jumpsuit!!)

Oh yea, Leif was pretty much a major tool. Cute hair and tight pants never did it for me but plenty of young girls did idolize this guy. Just curious Martha, did you ever have a tween crush on some celeb? If so, might I be so bold as to inquire who it was?

Peter Tork(elson) of the Monkees. Ringo of the Beatles. Be still my pubescent heart.

After re-listening to these sappy songs of my youth. I resolve never to complain about rap music again.

According to Wikipedia's definition of "Generation Jones" - I was born smack dab in the middle of it - "Generation Jones is a term used to describe the generation of people born between 1954 and 1965."
As a '65 model myself, I guess I just barely qualify as a Joneser. And here all this time I thought I was one of the oldest Xers...

After re-listening to these sappy songs of my youth. I resolve never to complain about rap music again.

I'm pretty sure that in any given year, about 99% of popular music is junk.

During my 'formative years' in developing taste in music, I would focus on the stuff I liked ( a good % stood the test of time, some sure didn't), and I shut out what I didn't like. Most people probably do the same. So I look back on the 1% that I associate with that time, and say, "Boy there sure was some great music in the 60's and 70's". But in reality, there was a lot of junk also.

Now, you get to the 80s, 90's and on, and I just wasn't that in tune with the pop music of the day. So, when I hear a random selection of it, 99% of the time I am going to be disappointed, and think that there was very little good music from that time. But probably the same % was good stuff, just my perception is different.

This works going back in time also. When I became aware of the great jazz and swing artists from the 30's, 40's and 50's, I went through my parent's old record collection, thinking I'd find some treasures. All they had was junk! I asked my Mom about Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, etc and she said something like "Oh yeah, Duke Ellington. No, I never bought any of his records...".

And so it goes. -ERD50

I'm pretty sure that in any given year, about 99% of popular music is junk.

So, when I hear a random selection of it, 99% of the time I am going to be disappointed, and think that there was very little good music from that time. But probably the same % was good stuff, just my perception is different.

Good comments ERD50 - most popular music is junk but there are some gems among the garbage. I have a question for everyone. I feel as though I'm stuck in the past with music which is common for people in my age group. I used to derive great pleasure in discovering new up and coming artists. Nowadays, I pretty much stick to the "oldies" station on the radio.

I'm curious if anyone has discovered modern artists old fogies like us can enjoy. The only artist who comes to mind for me is Mary J. Blidge. The woman can sing and has done some great music. "Rainy Dayz" blew me away and I've followed her since. However, I suspect I'm missing out on some good stuff.

... I have a question for everyone. I feel as though I'm stuck in the past with music which is common for people in my age group. I used to derive great pleasure in discovering new up and coming artists. Nowadays, I pretty much stick to the "oldies" station on the radio.

I'm curious if anyone has discovered modern artists old fogies like us can enjoy. ... I suspect I'm missing out on some good stuff.

Same here. I overhear a few things from my kids, so that helps. But in general, the stuff that seems to catch my ear is the stuff that reminds me of the 60's 70's music that I like. So it's still kind of a retro thing. John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Wilco are a few that come to mind. They put a new spin on some of it though, and you also pick up on their more 'modern' stuff, so it's a start. Alicia Keys is fantastic, but I don't know that I would call her music all that different or modern.

Likewise, I use to hop from one Folk, Jazz, Blues, Rock club to the other in Chicago in the 70's and 80's. Not uncommon to take in 2 or 3 shows on any given weekend and plan how we could cross town and hit the different sets on time, and it was mostly excellent, but often no-name local talent. But today, I wouldn't even know where to start.

-ERD50

As a parent of a 14 yo, I can assure all that some good rock-n-roll is still being made.

It may not be the same style as whenever you were young (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's) but R&R is alive & well, and in a lot of ways it's still the same. (Of course, there's a lot of cr*p out there too, as there always was.)

While I enjoy my old music, I make a point to keep up & appreciate the new (when deserved) as well.

For those of you into "mellower" or more "sophisticated" forms of music, well I don't know - I don't really get to hear much of that at home nowadays.

Such a huge Little Feat fan! I love those guys.
My favorite Skynyrd song is the acoustic "All I Can Do is Write About it.
My teen heart-throb was Paul Young. Saw him in concert at 13 at Carowinds in Charlotte, NC--pretty much a highlight of my entire life up until that point! LOL!

YouTube - Lynyrd Skynyrd - All I Can Do Is Write About It (Acoustic)

Gawd, he's still pretty hot looking! Mmmmmm!

samclem, I think we share many similiar tastes in music. Little Feat were fanstastic and Superstition still blows me away - simply can't sit still listening to Stevie! I remember poking fun at my dad who claimed so one could be as good as Sinatra or Glenn Miller. But then came Hendrix, Clapton, Garcia.....

While I enjoy my old music, I make a point to keep up & appreciate the new (when deserved) as well.

I did too until DD grew up and moved out. Once they're gone it's a lot harder to justify listening to all the crap just to find the few decent songs. Especially when you can load up the Ipod with good stuff and listen to screened music. I figure I'll pick up on the good new stuff from commercials in a year or two anyway. ;)

freebird - please, please, please read to the end ...However, one thing I've learned is, many, many *overplayed* songs are overplayed for a reason. They were great songs to begin with. And this youtube clip is great, because it sort of pokes fun at the whole thing, but in a reverent way. And I *totally* enjoyed listening to it. Thanks.
So that was good.
...I got a huge kick out of this (from your wiki link)
sorry, that just had me laughing so hard I was crying. Thanks for the link. Thanks for the great song. Thanks for the laugh.
-ERD50
EXACTLY why I included that particular youtube link and the wiki link. Glad I made ya laugh. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom