Google Maps Pics

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Unbeknownst to me Google can grab pics of people off my phone and post them, associated with the location where they were taken. When I researched how to remove them I saw that not only were those pictures grabbed but my locations for the last several days were there.

I want to allow location because I use Waze and Google Maps directions utility but grabbing snapshots of friends and family without my express approval is UNACCEPTABLE.

Anyone know how to stop the picture theft?

I had to do some searching to find anything on this. bold mine

Google Photos: Should you be worried about privacy?

A product like Google Photos, falls under Google Terms of Service. That means that when you upload your photos you are giving the tech giant license to “host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works, communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute” those photos.

That’s classic legalese, and Google spokespeople have already stated that they won’t use your photos for commercial or promotional purposes without obtaining explicit permission. They’ve also said that there are no plans afoot to monetize this service. But those reassurances don’t rule out such a move in the future, or give you any real legal protection.

What’s the risk?

You may wonder what the fuss is about anyway. So what if Google scans your photos to find out that you like to wear Nike trainers, and then uses that information to target a Nike ad at you?
Photos actually has the potential to enhance Google Now considerably. The more Google learns about you, the more accurate and helpful its predictions or suggestions will be. Where’s the harm?

So I guess it's up to you if this concerns you or not. It personally doesn't bother me. If they want to scan those photos for targeted advertising, in exchange for free use of these apps, I'm OK with it. I get snail mail targeted to me because of my zip code, being a home-owner, etc. I generally ignore it, I don't decide to not do business with the US Post Office.

But, if it bothers you, the choice is simple - don't use those products. I doubt they will make an exception for you, so that's your choice.

-ERD50

But one of those photos was a group picture, the people in that pic did not consent to the use. What if it included a picture of a child??

I used to sing Google's praise, not now!!

You can turn off location history in your Google account without turning off location services. On your phone, go to Settings / Location and then scroll to the bottom for Location History and turn it off.

You can stop Android from adding EXIF data to your photos in the camera app's settings. This varies from app to app, but on mine, it's called "Save Location".

I have an Android phone. I sent one pic to a friend. Other than that, to the best of my knowledge, they reside only in my Gallery. Location tag is off on my camera settings. Share shot is off on Gallary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Unbeknownst to me Google can grab pics of people off my phone and post them, associated with the location where they were taken.
Has this actually happened to you? If so, how did you discover it?

Considering that Google "Street View" blurs out faces and licence plates and other identifying attributes, it seems a bit far fetched to think that Google would just post a group picture publicly.

But if that risk concerns the OP, just say "no" to Google's products.

-ERD50

Are you sure anyone else can even see them? Maybe you just looked at the map view of your photos.

not only were those pictures grabbed but my locations for the last several days were there.

Where? I don't understand how you saw this information. Searching in Google Maps?

I got a 'thank you' email from Google.

Now I really don't understand. Could you please elaborate on what you found, and where?

Where? I don't understand how you saw this information. Searching in Google Maps?

Now I really don't understand. Could you please elaborate on what you found, and where?

I'm confused too. Looking at this, it looks like you have to actively choose photos to display in Google Maps.

https://support.google.com/maps/ans...32901496&rd=1&co=GENIE.Platform=Android&oco=1

Add photos from “Your contributions”
Make sure that you have the Google Photos app installed with back up & sync turned on and Location History turned on.
Open the Google Maps app Google Maps.
Tap the Menu Menu and then Your contributions.
Under the “Contribute” tab, tap Add your photos to Maps.
To post a photo, tap one or more photos.
To edit a photo’s location, tap the place name and select a different place.
Tap Post.
Note: You will see suggestions for photos to add to Google Maps. To remove a suggestion, tap X.

Add a photo using Google Photos or your Gallery app
Open Google Photos or your Gallery app.
Select a photo.
Tap Share .
Choose the Google Maps app Google Maps.
Select a place. To search for another place, tap Somewhere else.
Tap Post .

-ERD50

To the best of my knowledge I did not approve of posting pictures on Google Maps, or anywhere other public place for that matter. Most photo storage these days is in the Cloud. I have removed the Google Photo app from my phone. Here is what I received this morning (pics removed):

Thanks for adding photos to Google Maps!
Inbox
x

Google Maps <google-maps-noreply@google.com> Unsubscribe
9:46 PM (13 hours ago)

to me

Thanks for sharing!
Your new photos are a great addition to Google Maps
SEE YOUR PHOTOS ON MAPS

Last edited:
In my case, on my new Android phone, I use google maps/navigation.

I noticed that google prompts me to take a picture of the location and upload it. Of course I decline (unless google wants to start comping me some mobile data).

I use only the gallery app to view photos stored locally not the google photos or anything like that.

I plug the phone via usb cable into my XP pc occasionally and use the windows file manager to copy the photos over to the pc for safekeeping.

YMMV

-gauss

Google Users - if you’re not paying for a product, then by default you are the product.

This has been discussed here quite a few times.

I'm surprised that anyone still thinks Google, and many other "free" online services & apps, don't aggressively mine users data. They cost big money to develop, you think they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts? How else do you think they make (in Google's) case $ billions? Google has only gotten more and more aggressive as they've "grown." And it's not going to get better.

Apple isn't perfect by any means, but there's a dramatic difference in how they use users information - and that's why we use iOS devices.

from Dec 2012 said:
Notwithstanding this obvious situation, some users get a shock when they’re faced with this reality, case in point a class action suit brought by Google users in California (where else, right?) that claimed that Google broke the law by combining privacy policies across Gmail, YouTube and a bunch of other services.

In an excellent example of the judiciary understanding the commercial reality of a situation, US Magistrate Judge Paul Grewal this week struck down the lawsuit on the most obvious grounds that users opt into a free service on the tacit understanding that their surfing habits will be mined and monetized by the service provider. Judge Grewal was surprisingly frank in his decision saying that:
By now, most people know who Google is and what Google does. Google serves billions of online users in this country and around the world … With little or no revenue from its users, Google still manages to turn a healthy profit by selling advertisements within its products that rely in substantial part on users’ personal identification information … in this model, the users are the real product.
Forbes Welcome

Forbes Welcome

Last edited:
Google Users - if you’re not paying for a product, then by default you are the product.

I'm surprised that anyone still thinks Google, and many other "free" online services & apps, don't aggressively mine users data. ...

I didn't get the idea that anyone was surprised about that. Where do you see that?

The 'surprise' here, seems to me that OP believes their pics were posted publicly to Google Maps w/o them knowing about it. It isn't clear to me that is the case. The docs I saw indicate that it takes action on the user's part to do this. Perhaps OP did this w/o realizing it?

OK, so it seems Google's robots scan photos to look for keys for ads. As I said, if this isn't acceptable, they can do as you have done and choose a competitor.

I think there is more to this though, just looking at some of the pics I've seen at Google Maps, it looks like cases where the user purposely uploaded them. I really don't think Google is just grabbing them, and I do think it likely the OP did something to allow this (or someone who used their phone - maybe someone in their group?).

-ERD50

Or, to paraphrase Warren Buffett, when playing cards, after a few hands you can't figure out who the patsy is, ....... then you are it.

With google the users are the patsies.

Or, to paraphrase Warren Buffett, when playing cards, after a few hands you can't figure out who the patsy is, ....... then you are it.

With google the users are the patsies.
? You are assuming the users don't know this. I suspect many do, and many who don't know don't care.

That hardly makes them 'patsies'.

noun, plural patsies. Slang.
1. a person who is easily swindled, deceived, coerced, persuaded, etc.; sucker.

I use Google products, their browser, google groups, gmail, maps, search, android phones. I'm quite happy with most of them. I don't feel swindled, and I don't think I'm a sucker - I'm one of the most skeptical people I know.

-ERD50

You sound a little paranoid. Was there someone in the picture that you did not want to be seen with?
If not then who cares?

? You are assuming the users don't know this. I suspect many do, and many who don't know don't care.

That hardly makes them 'patsies'.

I use Google products, their browser, google groups, gmail, maps, search, android phones. I'm quite happy with most of them. I don't feel swindled, and I don't think I'm a sucker - I'm one of the most skeptical people I know.

-ERD50

Correct, I do assume that most users of google are unaware that google's profits are to a good extent form exploiting what the users do while using google.

Then of course, there are many informed users like yourself.

I avoid using google as if it were the black plague. Even though I was one of the very earliest users when they were a startup.

Last edited:
You sound a little paranoid. Was there someone in the picture that you did not want to be seen with?
If not then who cares?

Not OP, but I think the fear is that if this one picture was posted to maps without permission (or by user-accident), what is to prevent all pictures from being posted?

Me, I guess I've been a google patsy since applying for my gmail account way back when. Don't see much difference between it and Apple in the [non-]privacy arena. ;)

Back
Top Bottom