Great Depression

Great Depression Quiz
Excellent! You made it through the Depression unscathed.
You got 9/10 correct.

Missed on the cause of the Dustbowl.

8 out of ten
missed number of bank failures and number of unemployed

Great Depression Quiz
You got 10/10 correct.

But I admit that I had to guess on on two of the questions; the name of the tariff and the # of bank failures.

I got 9/10 but guessed (correctly) on two of the questions, the number of unemployed and number of bank failures. I missed the one about the cause of the Dust Bowl by reading too quickly. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

7/10 - and once again I know I'm right and they are wrong. Wadda think I have this Curmudgeon certificate is for?

heh heh heh - :cool:

10/10. All that history reading is starting to pay off.

It's interesting to see how populations, statistics, percentages, and inflation-adjusted numbers will affect your perception. "15 million unemployed" just doesn't carry the same impact as "25% unemployment rate". "$1.3 billion lost" doesn't raise an eyebrow. But "9000 bank failures" will get your attention today!

8/10 - Bank Failures and Dust bowl, although I protest the latter as a trick question. :)

There was definitely a drought.
Had the land still been prairie, there would not have been a dust bowl
Had the land been planted, there would not have been a dust bowl.
Because of the economic collapse, the land was not planted, but left bare.

9/10 the wording on "did the stock market crash cause the great depression was ambiguous."

The 15 million didn't sound like enough unemployed people until you realize the population was less than 1/2 of todays.

I woulda done better, but I was sure that the refuges from the dust bowl were called "Dust Bunnies."

Great Depression Quiz
You got 9/10 correct.

Geeeze......... didn't remember that 9k banks failed.

11/10
img_753657_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

That quiz was depressing. I hate that stuff. It worries me and I can't do anything about it.

8 out of 10. No good at the number questions.

7/10, mainly by guessing.

Missed questions on cause of Dust Bowl, the Tarriff name, and the payment to farmers.

7/10, - got the cause of Dust Bowl, guessed the Tariff name.

Missed the payment to farmers (thought that was later), and numbers of banks and unemployed. I'll blame too many beers and too much Turkey on not being good with numbers at the moment, but I doubt I would have got those w/o some serious analysis and /or googling.

So, a question relevant to today's situation (I think):

I had always heard (my Dad said it many times) that it was WWII that brought us out of the Depression. But, isn't that really just borrowing future money to put people to work today? Couldn't you do that w/o a war? And, that seems to be what Obama is looking into with infrastructure rebuilding and funding 'green' technologies.

I'm not looking to get into a debate on whether that is the right/wrong approach, but I am trying to understand it. Did we ever pay off the WWII debt? I looked at a few graphs, looked like we did not in absolute terms, but we did drop the debt as a % of GDP over the next decades. Not sure what to make of that.

-ERD50

10/10, but I cheated, having read the posts here first. I probably would have missed the two about the number of banks and the percentage of unemployed.

The circumstances do seem very similar to now though, with too many people overextended on credit.

Back
Top Bottom