Greatest love songs ever

Back on the elliptical post THR...first song:

DW and working out...life IS good.

Steely Dan's lyrics tended to be angry and cynical, but this early effort is poignant and pleading. One of my favorites by the band.

Oh, my love, my darling, I hunger for your touch ...

One of the Best Live performance by the Righteous Brothers

And for a sad one .. there's Walk Away by Matt Monroe.

I'll be Yours till the end of time .. Everly Brothers.

That's 3 on my list.

Last edited:
I'll be Yours till the end of time .. Everly Brothers

The Everly Brothers had some great ones. "All I Have to Do is Dream" also comes to mind.

A bit of trivia about the songwriting team that penned many of the Everly Brothers' hits: Felice and Boudleaux Bryant are in the Country Music Hall of Fame and wrote "Rocky Top" in addition to the standards made popular by the Everlys and others.

Felice was the daughter of Sicilian immigrants who lived in a blue-collar neighborhood on Milwaukee's north side. She was a rebellious young woman who went her own way. She was running an elevator in the Schroeder Hotel when she met Boudleaux, a fiddle player in the lounge band. The couple soon eloped, even though Felice was still entangled in an earlier marriage.

The Ken Burns documentary on country music pays homage to the Bryants, but here's an article on young Felice's life in Milwaukee. https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/06/10/felice-bryant-milwaukee-new-book-looks-songwriting-legends-upbringing/5318821002/

Thanks for the trivia. Yes, I also like that song (Dream, Dream, Dream) and Crying in the Rain.

The Everly Brothers were the role models of the Beatles. John Lennon and Paul McCartney said they idolized them and pretended to be Don and Phil Everly when they sang. I think at the end of Cathy's Clown by the Everly, I thought I was hearing a Beatles song beat.

The other Trivia I learned is that the Everly Brothers had a fight while performing at Knotsberry Farm in the 1970s or early 80s. The younger brother broke his guitar and left the live performance and his brother told the crowd "that's the end of the Everly brothers". The had opposing political views. But they did get together again. And when Phil Everly passed away, Don Everly kept his ashes .. and talks to his brother's ashes everyday. I guess they are inseparable even in death.

The Everly Brothers had some great ones. "All I Have to Do is Dream" also comes to mind.

A bit of trivia about the songwriting team that penned many of the Everly Brothers' hits: Felice and Boudleaux Bryant are in the Country Music Hall of Fame and wrote "Rocky Top" in addition to the standards made popular by the Everlys and others.

Felice was the daughter of Sicilian immigrants who lived in a blue-collar neighborhood on Milwaukee's north side. She was a rebellious young woman who went her own way. She was running an elevator in the Schroeder Hotel when she met Boudleaux, a fiddle player in the lounge band. The couple soon eloped, even though Felice was still entangled in an earlier marriage.

The Ken Burns documentary on country music pays homage to the Bryants, but here's an article on young Felice's life in Milwaukee. https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/06/10/felice-bryant-milwaukee-new-book-looks-songwriting-legends-upbringing/5318821002/

Simon and Garfunkle were also big fans of the Everly Brothers, as were Graham Nash and Allan Clarke of The Hollies. (Graham's autobio Wild Tales is a great read, for fans of this era of music.) All admired the Everlys' gorgeous harmonies and emulated them. (I saw the Everlys at Seattle's Bumbershoot Festival circa 1984.)

Simon and Garfunkle were also big fans of the Everly Brothers, as were Graham Nash and Allan Clarke of The Hollies. (Graham's autobio Wild Tales is a great read, for fans of this era of music.) All admired the Everlys' gorgeous harmonies and emulated them. (I saw the Everlys at Seattle's Bumbershoot Festival circa 1984.)

Yes, you got that right ! I think Simon and Garfunkle made them a guest in one of their concerts.

Yes, you got that right ! I think Simon and Garfunkle made them a guest in one of their concerts.
According to wikipedia: "By 1957, the teenagers had their first minor success with "Hey Schoolgirl", a song imitating their idols the Everly Brothers." And the Everlys' "Bye Bye Love" was on the final S&G studio album Bridge Over Troubled Water. So, from the start to the end of their recording career (not counting the Central Park concert recording).

BTW: Nash writes in his book that he and Clarke met and spoke with the Everlys on the steps outside an English theatre, I think it was, when the Everlys were there to perform in the late 1950s or very early 1960s, when Nash & Clarke were just teenagers and before they became The Hollies. He never forgot it.

Last edited:
When a millennial just heard Unchained Melody - conclusion "I definitely did not grow up in the best era"

Reminds me - I haven't seen Ghost in a while. . .

Ribbon in the Sky, by Stevie Wonder. Yes, there is probably an ad in front of it.

Having a crush on DH since age 16, started dating when we were 21, AFTER I moved 400 miles away for medical school. We announced our engagement about 7 months later. Lived apart for nearly 3 more years. About a year before the wedding, I heard this song on the radio in the car. Stopped the car, wrote it down, and told DH this is the song for our wedding.

My parents' song was Unchained Melody. It first came out in 1955, when my dad was far away in basic training. The Righteous Brothers version was earlier in this thread.

Ghost was 1990 (31 years ago), so many young people have not see it either :D:D:LOL:

Yes, I looked it up last night (as I was listening to different versions of Unchained Melody.) Otherwise, I wouldn't have realized it was so long ago . . .

We saw the Everly Brothers when we went to a Simon & Garfunkel reunion concert in Atlantic City. The Everly Brothers stole the show. They were amazing.

I've 'always' liked this one:

Back
Top Bottom