Has anyone on this forum put a metal roof on their house?

Forgot to mention - the roof we replaced was a standing seam roof that was put on the house in the 1930's and starting to develop minor leaks. Figured if the last roof had such a good track record, why mess with success

Forgot to mention - the roof we replaced was a standing seam roof that was put on the house in the 1930's and starting to develop minor leaks. Figured if the last roof had such a good track record, why mess with success

I am not an expert on these, but I read these old "farm house" style roofs could last a 100 years. I guess it is now returning back to that way, of course except with them being a bit more "stylish" now.

I don't know about cell service but a friend of mine has steel on the roof, siding, and foundation of his house. Because the steel goes from the ground to over the roof it makes a pretty good Faraday cage for AM/FM radio. We had to put up outside antennas in order for his radios to work well.

Last edited:
You all have me interested in this now. My roof is 14 years old (1 layer of shingles) and is showing some beginning signs of curling and the dark streaks. If the dark streaking is mold, would covering it up with a new metal roof cause problems on down the line? Also, if the metal roof is installed over existing shingles, how can the condition of the actual wood under the shingles be inspected for any damage or deterioration?

How do they handle existing roof vents (ridge vents, box-style roof vents and bathroom fan exhaust vents) when installing metal roofs?

omni

Badger,I am looking at the basic exposed fastener system. Costs quickly escalate when you go concealed and have a different design.
My roof has concealed, and I don't think exposed would
be a great idea, IF you have high winds. I was exposed to high winds coming right off the Sound, and some outbuildings I roofed with exposed nails eventually had the nails loosen and leak.

Ha

How do they handle existing roof vents (ridge vents, box-style roof vents and bathroom fan exhaust vents) when installing metal roofs?

omni

Maybe it's just me, but I would never do a roof-over. I want my new roof on solid decking.

Does a metal roof affect cell service? MiFi service?

Kindest regards.

Not sure about cell or WIFI, but they are even better than a tinfoil hat in preventing the government from intercepting your brain waves.:LOL:

My roof has concealed, and I don't think exposed would
be a great idea, IF you have high winds. I was exposed to high winds coming right off the Sound, and some outbuildings I roofed with exposed nails eventually had the nails loosen and leak.

Ha

That would have been my preference but it is significantly higher, thus my reason not too. I have not seen a concealed one built yet in town. Winds aren't a real problem here unless I get unlucky and a tornado strikes the area (I live in Mo). They use screws on this system and they are more resistant to loosening than nails are, though it certainly is possible.
Another poster commented on not wanting a second layer on a roof. I would certainly feel that way concerning shingles, but it apparently isn't a problem based on what I have read. In fact the insurance companies give the discount with the metal installed over existing shingles, and the Feds give the tax credit for doing it that way also. The metal roof is only 1/7 th the weight of a shingled roof so it is not adding much weight to the house. But I also live in an area where I see 3 or 4 layers of shingles slapped on top of each other.

The other benefits og metal roofs in WI is forest fire protection (to some degree) Insurance give us credit for that..........

Mysterious leaks are often caused by a bad flashing spot. One tiny goof is all it takes. That can happen with metal or asphalt.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never do a roof-over. I want my new roof on solid decking.

I THINK (still learning so someone can correct me if I am wrong) that even if the shingles were taken off, it would have to be attached to the deck anyways with a gap. Metal roofs have to breathe as they give off condensation both above and below. The underlayment and connecting strips help with this. My deck is still in good shape. The shingles I think can act as a second barrier and protection for roof if a leak does occur. But in honesty, I'm keeping it just to save money. Though the "Green People" advocate leaving them as a way to avoid dumping them in landfills. But some point down the road even if it's a 100 years, they still will wind up there. :)

Mysterious leaks are often caused by a bad flashing spot. One tiny goof is all it takes. That can happen with metal or asphalt.

That is the whole reason I am getting a new one. The mysterious leak is definitely the culprit. Though I can't blame it on the flashing spots as they are all on the dry backside.

If the dark streaking is mold, would covering it up with a new metal roof cause problems on down the line? Also, if the metal roof is installed over existing shingles, how can the condition of the actual wood under the shingles be inspected for any damage or deterioration?

Roof-overs are standard with regular shingles. One roof-over, then a tear-off the next time. Doing a tear-off pretty much doubles the cost, and isn't necessary unless a problem is detected.

I don't know if they put metal over asphalt shingles. I'm just guessing here, but if they do roof over the shingles I don't think the mold will be an issued. It's all outside. You can check the condition of the sheathing from the inside, but an experienced roofer can tell a lot just by looking at the condition of the existing shingles. By the way, my brother was a roofer, and I helped him on side jobs a couple times. Not enough to make me an expert, just enough to be dangerous if you listen to my opinion.

Also, just fyi, they have fungicide sprays that can be applied to the black streaks and shingles. I've read fairly good things about the results.

omni

At least for plumbing air vents they just penetrate the roof as if it was asphalt. Power vents can sometimes be reused as well.

Mulligan, Thanks for starting the post and the reply to my questions. I thought about a metal roof before I went the less expensive route with shingle 13 years ago. I think "biting the bullet" and having the metal installed would have been a wiser choice. It would have been the last time we reroofed.

I live 2 blocks from the ocean in Fl. so wind can be a concern sometimes. I thought maybe a northeastern or mild hurricane this season would have the insurance company help with the expense. :angel: At least is gives me 7 months to research before next season. It appears that standing seam would be the prefered design for us so the cost will be higher than other designs. The thicker guage metal will also add to the cost.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom