Historical Thread

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Post anything you like here that has to do with unusual historical events, occurrences, or facts.

19111.jpg

Niagara Falls Frozen Over in 1911 (Photos) - Urban Legends

I have a standing eBay search that alerts me when a postcard goes up for auction related to the small town my grandfather grew up in - Quaker City, Ohio.

Imagine my surprise when I recently spotted him sitting to the right of Gertrude in this 1915 +/- high school graduation picture:

Quaker City,Ohio-Gertrude Brown Spencer Graduation-RPPC - eBay (item 350433795874 end time Jan-27-11 19:26:14 PST)
%21CDh2kf%21CWk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21jIE0GvHyyFwBNO5+nIcQ%21%7E%7E0_3.JPG

VACollector had a recent thread about his currency collection. My vice is old Houston postcards. Anybody else collect historical stuff?

In World War II, submarines sailed the Chicago River.

http://http://coolohio.com/ss245/cobia.htm

Back in '69, when I was a Boy Scout I went to the national Jamboree in Idaho. It was in Farragut State Park on Lake Pend Oreille (65 miles long, up to 1150 feet deep. We did a mile swim in the lake (colder than hell!), and could see the submarine testing grounds in the distance. Really freaked us out to think there could be subs cruising around under us while we were swimming.

VACollector had a recent thread about his currency collection. My vice is old Houston postcards. Anybody else collect historical stuff?

I like the old postcards also. I have the "Postcard History Series" book of postcards for my county. One may be published for Houston (and you may have it)

USS Tautog launched on 1/27/1940 in New London, CT. FDR in back seat on passenger side. Taken by Great Uncle who was on site rep for the engines.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 3
In World War II, submarines sailed the Chicago River.

http://http://coolohio.com/ss245/cobia.htm

I love history.

The sub story reminded me of a story about my Aunts working in the shipyards in Pittsburgh during WWII. LSTs were made in Pgh and Indiana during the war. Being a welder in a shipyard is very hard and dangerous work. The women who did this during the war exceed the requirements of the average male worker. The stories I heard from indepentant sources are almost unbelieveable.

Free to canoe
WWII landing craft will dock here in September

I like the old postcards also. I have the "Postcard History Series" book of postcards for my county. One may be published for Houston (and you may have it)

Thanks for the tip. I had seen some of these, but I did not realize the publisher had such a broad series on local history. Hundreds of books, some on postcards, some with photos, some formatted as a more traditional history narrative:

Arcadia Publishing - local history books

My contribution to this thread is a 1928 photo of the staff of the US Army Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia. My relative, Major REW, is standing in the back row, third from the left. To his right is Major Omar N. Bradley. On the front row, second from left is LTC Joseph W. Stillwell and in the center is Col George C. Marshall.

History has it that Lt Col REW was the deputy commander of an infantry regiment stationed at Schofield Barracks in December of 1941 and hosted a party at the Officers Club on Saturday evening, December 6. The party went into the wee hours and Lt Col REW was very disturbed by all the noise on Sunday morning coming from what he thought was the Air Corps holding maneuvers. He complained to his wife and went out to see what the commotion was about. As he looked up, a plane flew very low directly over the row of officer's quarters, clipping the top branches in the palm tree in his front yard. The Rising Sun insignia on the wings was clearly visible and he knew at that instant we were at war.

Attachments

• Page 736.jpg
    Page 736.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 6
My contribution to this thread is a 1928 photo of the staff of the US Army Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia. My relative, Major REW, is standing in the back row, third from the left. To his right is Major Omar N. Bradley. On the front row, second from left is LTC Joseph W. Stillwell and in the center is Col George C. Marshall.

History has it that Lt Col REW was the deputy commander of an infantry regiment stationed at Schofield Barracks in December of 1941 and hosted a party at the Officers Club on Saturday evening, December 6. The party went into the wee hours and Lt Col REW was very disturbed by all the noise on Sunday morning coming from what he thought was the Air Corps holding maneuvers. He complained to his wife and went out to see what the commotion was about. As he looked up, a plane flew very low directly over the row of officer's quarters, clipping the top branches in the palm tree in his front yard. The Rising Sun insignia on the wings was clearly visible and he knew at that instant we were at war.

Doncha just love those unies? Must have taken a couple of hours to get those boots looking soooo great. Great picture!

That is a very cool photo and neat story. I am a distant relative of Vinger Joe Stillwell (2nd cousin thrice removed I believe) so I was quite excited when I was in China that our tour went to the Stillwell museum in Chongqing.

Interstate Highway System 200 year birthday?

Today I saw two Department of Transportation news releases with curious headlines:

First US interstate marks 200 years of vital service - Welcome to the FastLane: The Official Blog of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation

Press Release: Bicentennial of America's First Interstate Celebrated, 5/6/2011

But I thought the Interstate Highway system began with Eisenhower in the 1950's...

Reading more closely, it became clear that the headline writers were very clever:
"Construction of the National Road began on May 8, 1811. Authorized by Congress in 1806 and signed into law by President Thomas Jefferson, the road connected the Potomac River at Cumberland, MD, and the Ohio River at Wheeling, VA, which is now in West Virginia.

Settlers hoping for better lives in the American frontier headed for Ohio, which became a state in 1803. By opening the door for thousands migrating west through the Appalachian Mountains, the National Road strengthened trade and communications lines from the East Coast to Ohio and beyond...

...When Indiana and Illinois joined the Union in 1816 and 1818, respectively, the National Road was extended, reaching nearly 800 miles long. The road reached Vandalia - then the capital of Illinois - but plans to extend it across the Mississippi River were abandoned due to disputes over whether to cross the river at Alton, IL, or St. Louis, MO."
Since Texas didn't join the Union until 1845, ain't no Thomas Jefferson roads 'round here.

I do live a couple of miles from a street called Old Spanish Trail (US90A), which is theoretically based on a routes used by the Spaniards during pre-colonial times. In reality, however, OST was a 1920's pre-Interstate highway concept.
Old Spanish Trail Centennial

Any historical roads near where you live?

I do live a couple of miles from a street called Old Spanish Trail (US90A), which is theoretically based on a routes used by the Spaniards during pre-colonial times. In reality, however, OST was a 1920's pre-Interstate highway concept.
Old Spanish Trail Centennial

Any historical roads near where you live?

There is a large stone marker near the San Antonio city hall marking the half-way point of OST (St. Augistine-San Diego). It must have been fun to travel the roads of America in those days.

Not a historic highway, but a historic waterway is located near me. There are still remnants of the old canal locks (flat stone construction) throughout the area. :D

THE ERIE CANAL JULY 4, 1817
The ceremonies outside the village of Rome on Independence Day, 1817, climaxed years of discussion about building the Erie Canal. Dignitaries and local citizens assembled at sunrise to attend the start of construction. Judge Joshua Hathaway, a veteran of two American Wars, spoke and began the excavation. Judge John Richardson, the first contractor, then turned the earth. Cannon boomed as others started digging.
Benjamin Wright, "the father of American engineering," assisted by John B. Jervis, supervised construction of the section between Utica and the Seneca River. In the first year, 15 miles were constructed. By October, 1819, the 98-mile section was completed, and the first boat traveled from Rome to Utica.
When finished in 1825, the Erie Canal was considered the foremost engineering achievement of the time. The 363-mile canal crossed the State and became the main route between the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes. Western New York flourished with new, cheap transportation. The canal insured the place of New York City as the Nation's greatest port and city, and it hastened development of the Midwest.
The modernized State Barge Canal System, consisting of the Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga-Seneca Canals, was completed in 1918.

Last edited:
Not a historic highway, but a historic waterway is located near me. There are still remnants of the old canal locks (flat stone construction) throughout the area. :D

THE ERIE CANAL JULY 4, 1817
The ceremonies outside the village of Rome on Independence Day, 1817, climaxed years of discussion about building the Erie Canal. Dignitaries and local citizens assembled at sunrise to attend the start of construction. Judge Joshua Hathaway, a veteran of two American Wars, spoke and began the excavation. Judge John Richardson, the first contractor, then turned the earth. Cannon boomed as others started digging.
Benjamin Wright, "the father of American engineering," assisted by John B. Jervis, supervised construction of the section between Utica and the Seneca River. In the first year, 15 miles were constructed. By October, 1819, the 98-mile section was completed, and the first boat traveled from Rome to Utica.
When finished in 1825, the Erie Canal was considered the foremost engineering achievement of the time. The 363-mile canal crossed the State and became the main route between the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes. Western New York flourished with new, cheap transportation. The canal insured the place of New York City as the Nation's greatest port and city, and it hastened development of the Midwest.
The modernized State Barge Canal System, consisting of the Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga-Seneca Canals, was completed in 1918.

Speaking of canals - I live near the Illinois and Michigan Canal, patterned after the Erie Canal, and constructed by some of the same Irish immigrants. Two towns along the I&M route are Seneca and Utica - probably named after their Erie Canal links

Illinois and Michigan Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom