Home sale strategy

farmerEd

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just thinking out loud here....and need some better facts.

My house, 100% paid for, I could likely sell for about $1M+ which would give me about 650Kin capital gains....

If I sell I'd like to by two houses to replace the one...one in a cheaper location, i.e. a rural farming community...maybe buy a house for $250K. I'd also like to buy another house in the Carribean and spend upto 4 months per year there...this would probably cost 500-600K.

I know you only owe cap gain tax on your house when you don't roll the profit into another place...so if I took the "profit" from the house and bought the vacation place, and the original investment part (i.e. what I paid for the house in the first place) and bought the new farm...could I avoid most of the taxes?

Any obvious flaws in this plan?

If you are married there is no cap gain on your home up to 500K if you have lived there 2 of the last 5 years.

You can no longer roll your cap gains into a more expensive home to save cap gain.

Jim

burch64 said:
If you are married there is no cap gain on your home up to 500K if you have lived there 2 of the last 5 years.

You can no longer roll your cap gains into a more expensive home to save cap gain.

Jim

I wonder how this is going to affect the Boomers who are looking to retire in the next few years and have paid-off houses in areas like Southern/Northern California, New York and D.C.

>>You can no longer roll your cap gains into a more expensive home to save cap gain.

Now that I *didn't* know....so its not a once-in-a-lifetime exclusion?

You can sell your home every 2 years and avoid cap gain subject to the 500k limitation.

If you have lived in your home at least 2 years and sell it you do not even have to declare the sale on your income tax forms.

Jim

Jay_Gatsby said:
I wonder how this is going to affect the Boomers who are looking to retire in the next few years and have paid-off houses in areas like Southern/Northern California, New York and D.C.

They're going to pay capital gains on the excess. Which isnt exactly a death sentence for someone making >500k in gains on a principal residence sale!

Make sure you take into account the cost of any major improvements you did after purchase.. that will bring the CG down.

Boy am I lucky, because I was such a lousy investor, I have accumulated several lifetime of capital losses that I will finally be able to use up when I sell my house at the end of this month. Now I know I had winning strategy when I lost all that money. I get to get 15% back. Wish I had lost more. :'(
It only hurts when I laugh and I laugh a lot. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

MJ :D

Yep, the following two thoughts:

"Nasdaq 3000...thats probably as far as it'll drop, more or less.."

and

"Wow, Nasdaq 2000 is amazingly cheap, I should buy more...the bounce cant be that far off".

Resulted in a very helpful situation with regards to future capital gains...for the last 5 years...and for about 5-7 more...

Back
Top Bottom