Depressing thoughts about our home value?

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was looking around on our Counties GIS site, The taxable values and stuff.
Our old house is only a mile away, and the folks that bought next door have put in an in-ground pool. Now our new house was built in 1972, and being abandoned for several years, has a substantial depreciation value. The tax value on their pool alone is $ 1000 MORE than our whole property!

Should I feel depressed in the fact a hole half the size of our house, filled water, is worth more than our entire place:confused:? :popcorn:

No, I don't think you should pay any attention to tax values - they often have little connection to reality.

unless your planning to sell , I think it's a good thing.

Not at all.

Enjoy the renovations on your current home.

We cheer whenever the tax assessor reduces the estimated value on our house.

I wouldn't worry, you will pay less taxes, and you are renovating to your liking.
Enjoy.

I want my house value & tax assessment to be as low as possible. Until I'm ready to sell.

This was an attempt at a joke, and to show how ridiculous some evaluations can be.
The house we bought had a 10X16 deck that had broke free from the house. I removed the deck and moved it to use beside the camper. The tax bill still shows the deck on the house, and added another deck on the camper... that's 8X10.

This was an attempt at a joke, and to show how ridiculous some evaluations can be.
The house we bought had a 10X16 deck that had broke free from the house. I removed the deck and moved it to use beside the camper. The tax bill still shows the deck on the house, and added another deck on the camper... that's 8X10.

A lot of people in my neck of the woods are afraid of having the Town inspectors come by - and the law firms which grieve taxes are constantly soliciting. With Zillow it's easier to see

It sounds as if you are in a good situation house-wise notwithstanding your - ah - deck situation.

Does the deck even matter in the valuation? I do not think so here...

BUT, on my first house I complained about their valuation as they listed the house as a 2 story and had the sq ft showing that.... but it was a 1 1/2 story... so the 2nd story was only half the size of the first... the guy came by to inspect and told me they do not get to look inside and make estimates based on the roof line etc...

He was a bit sloppy and was upstairs just looking at doors and was saying I had 4 BR... I said where? Since he did not open one door he did not see that it was a walk in attic with the AC etc sitting there... had to redo the 2nd floor again..

BTW, our house value has gone up maybe 50% in the last couple of years.. getting crazy...

Heh, heh, tell me what that's like. I've never experienced it!:cool:
Well we got a free one around 2008 when property values dropped. Last year I extorted a reduction from the County Assessor lady by sending her a formal FOIA request for the comps and assessor communications (memos, notes, emails) that were used to value our property. I'm pretty sure there were no comps and she gave me a reduction to cover up that fact.

I would be going down to the accessor and getting them to reduce my tax rate.

Well we got a free one around 2008 when property values dropped. Last year I extorted a reduction from the County Assessor lady by sending her a formal FOIA request for the comps and assessor communications (memos, notes, emails) that were used to value our property. I'm pretty sure there were no comps and she gave me a reduction to cover up that fact.

Kinda surprised as it is done by computer here so there are comps all over the place...

Not sure of this but I think they value whole neighborhoods at a time... IOW, when I have looked at other homes in the neighborhood they seem to go up by the same percentage... so if you were able to get yours lowered you might be able to keep it... but I also see that the last digit on an appealed value is different than others so maybe not...

Our home value goes up every year and sometimes we're surprised it hasn't gone up more. At first we thought they were "cheating" us and then someone in the building would sell. We have perhaps half a dozen or more sales in our building each year. ALL the sales are more than our place is valued at! So I really can't complain. ALSO since our RE taxes are lowest in the nation (on a % of valuation basis) we can't complain. We're still paying less on this place than we did 15 years on the mainland for a much less valuable house.

Housing here is very expensive (and so is almost everything else) but RE taxes are a "bargain." Go figure. YMMV

One thing to remember is valuation is a relative thing...

If you think your house is worth $500K and they value it at $400K you think you are doing good... but if your neighbor has a $500K house and values it at $350K... you are not...

The taxing district will make a budget.. they get the total valuation from the taxing authority and come up with a rate to get that amount of money... as an example...if they value your house at $500K the rate might be $2... but valuing it at $250 the rate is now $4...

Do not think you are getting over on them with a low value...

I just got the first tax bill since we moved. Somehow it is about 1/3 what I expected. I will stfu about it. :cool:

Does the deck even matter in the valuation?

Here it does... And its crazy the way they put values on stuff and they charge by the SqFt.
A deck is $19.50, $23 if its elevated And $18 if its free standing. Now a porch is $30, $35 if screened and $40 if its enclosed. $5.20 for just a patio.
The mentioned pool... Grab a seat... $525 a SqFt. A stick built house is only $112.... Now if you have a whole house generator.. add a $1 SqFt.
$5625 for each bathroom.
A regular fireplace and chimney $6125, But $2062 if you just have an insert type with pipe chimney.

But they give do you a break... If you don't have central heat or air... they reduce it by $2.20 for each.

In Maryland, the tax people re-assess your property every three years. I can remember my taxes going down twice.

The first time, was back in the 1990s. I had bought a condo in late 1994, and initially, the property tax bill was around $900/yr. I think it dropped to around $700 at some point a few years later, but by the time I sold in 2004, was back up to around $900.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think the actual tax bill came down in the wake of the Great Recession, although the assessment certainly did. I do remember at my peak, the overall bill was around $5,000, but there was an ~$1800 homestead tax credit that brought it down to around $3200. The next year, when the lower assessment kicked in, I think the whole bill was around $3200. They took the reduction in assessed value out against the homestead tax credit first, before applying it to the remaining part of the bill.

When it comes to improvements to the property, assessments can be funny. At the old place, I had a 24x40 garage built in 2006, and it never altered the assessed value, or the property tax bill. At least, not by any meaningful amount.

I bought my current place in 2018. I lucked out with the taxes, because for their purposes, it was only listed at 960 square feet. Ironically, the same size as the garage I had built, 24x40. In 2008, the lady I bought the house from put an addition on the front to make it L-shaped, and added a second story. It's now around 2440 square feet, plus 432 for the sunroom, and 960 for the basement. The real estate listing called it 2872, including the sunroom as "living space".

Well, the assessment finally caught up to that 2008 construction in 2019, when "above grade living area" was finally increased. But, somehow they came up with the number of 3929 square feet!

I had a garage built at the new place, 36x60, with a loft that's around 15x60. It got its final inspection/approval from the county in April of 2022, so I'm sure it's not showing up on any kind of assessment yet.

I was sort of tempted to try and fight that 3929 square foot estimate, since they're basically charging me for about 1050 square feet that I don't have. And even more, depending on what you consider the sunroom to be. I think of it as an enclosed porch, and not really an integral part of the house. But, where I live, no secondary structures are allowed to be larger than the primary, so at the actual square footage, they would not have allowed me to build the garage I wanted. At the very least, I would have had to have lost the loft.

The mentioned pool... Grab a seat... $525 a SqFt.

Wow, I guess the old saying is true, that a pool is just a big hole in your yard that you constantly throw money into!

But wow...$525 a square foot?! That sounds excessive. My pool is about 23x51 feet, so 1173 total. So in your area that would add $615,825 to the assessed value?! Sounds like there's a missing decimal in there. I could see $61,500, perhaps, but not $615K!

And the funny thing is, unless times have changed, when it comes time to to sell, a swimming pool really doesn't add much value to a house. For one thing, it limits your buying audience, as not everyone wants a pool. Although I guess the further south you go, into hotter climates, they're more in demand? And in more upscale areas, they're probably expected.

And the funny thing is, unless times have changed, when it comes time to to sell, a swimming pool really doesn't add much value to a house. For one thing, it limits your buying audience, as not everyone wants a pool.

That's for sure. When I was house hunting the agent tried to show me a couple of houses with pools and I immediately dismissed them. I didn't want either the upkeep or the liability of some neighborhood kid getting in there and drowning. Of course that was in MD, where an in-ground pool can only be used maybe three or four months out of the year.

Back
Top Bottom