Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad you are Ok!
I used to have a hard wired monitoring system but got tired of paying the monthly bill.

I still have their sign at every entry door, even the side doors, and I have a dog that will readily bark. I have motion sensor lights at the back entry doors.

What also helps me (I think) is there is a city street light at the end of my driveway across the street that points to my driveway. Nice and bright and pretty much lights almost the entire driveway..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

A simple alarm and a yappy dog is all you need. Maybe motion activated led lights for outside. This will put off 99% of the kids and many of the drug addicts. Of course if you have anything really valuable in your house these will have less effectiveness with professionals.
For addicts having withdrawals only a shot gun will stop them but then you get into a whole set of other problems.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #23

I use Nest cameras and you can set the cameras to turn on automatically when you are out of the house, based on the location of the smartphone you assign.

Like regular alarm systems you would have to turn them on at night while you are in the house which is something I don't do but probably should.

You can have the cameras send an email and/or an alert to your phone when activity is detected and you decide whether that activity should be motion and/or sound (all activity is recorded regardless of alert settings).

We are in the USA at present and I have a Nest camera in the front hallway looking at the front door. (To access other doors any intruder would have to scale or break through a high, locked, gate). All activity, motion and noise, is captured in video clips but I only have alerts set on sound since the motion sensor is activated with car headlights from people turning/reversing at the end of the street. (we live at the end of a cul-de-sac and it is a glass front door).

I usually get at least 1 alert a day (by email as I don't have a phone alert set because of the 6 hour time difference) when the mail person posts something through the letter box. I also get alerts each weekend when my sister or BIL comes in to collect the mail and walk through the house to check all is well.

If we do get burglars then I expect the last video clip will be them stealing the camera (unless they have the foresight to sever the cable going into the house carrying the internet and TV signal). We also have a house alarm box mounted on the outside in plain view even though there is no longer a monitored alarm system.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Growing up, our neighborhood had many breakins, but none where there was a dog, big or little. One couple decided not to get another when their dog died and they were robbed within a few days. I have had a dog for the past 31 years, and for the past month, we have been without. I don't want another pet to hold us from vacations, but they are good security.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #25

Many years ago my sister's car was stolen from outside her house and when the policeman was around interviewing her he asked if she owned a dog, and she replied yes. At that moment Fred, the yorkshire terrier, came trotting into the room, and the officer looked at her and said, "I meant a real one."
Old 01-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

GSD and a Glock. We actually have 3 dogs right now but the GSD is the only one that would scare anyone. The others are just early warning.

Glad you are ok. Sometimes they come back. Not trying to scare just to encourage you to prepare.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I use Nest cameras and you can set the cameras to turn on automatically when you are out of the house, based on the location of the smartphone you assign.

Like regular alarm systems you would have to turn them on at night while you are in the house which is something I don't do but probably should.
What I would want is just to be able to see the lower level interior activity should our alarm go off. No need to store the images. When I look on Amazon I see several cameras but the reviews (lots of 1 star reviews for some cameras) give me pause.

Is there a simple inexpensive viewing camera that would do just this? It looks like Nest has several bells and whistles that I don't need but maybe it's worth it for $200 if it works for several years?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Our last home we had a monitored system and two dogs. One night the thing goes off (painfully loud). Phone rings and the rep tells me that the rear door is the issue. Grab a 1911, extra mag, and light. The guy sees me then takes off.

Sometimes noise and alarms are not enough.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
What I would want is just to be able to see the lower level interior activity should our alarm go off. No need to store the images. When I look on Amazon I see several cameras but the reviews (lots of 1 star reviews for some cameras) give me pause.

Is there a simple inexpensive viewing camera that would do just this? It looks like Nest has several bells and whistles that I don't need but maybe it's worth it for $200 if it works for several years?
Seems if that's all you need, then a video baby monitor would be an easy solution.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
My System:
A very protective dog and a S&W .357 in a holster attached to my bed frame.
+1...except for mine is a Glock 30 with a Streamlight TLR-4 laser/light combo. We have two dogs. One snores pretty loud so he sleeps in the family room. He'd probably hear an intruder first and bark. Hannah, our other and more protective dog, sleeps right beside my bed, as does my Glock 30 and spare mag in its bed frame holster. We have a serious fence and gate topped with pinched arrowheads. I'm more likely to find a dead meth-head self impaled on that 6 foot fence than in my house. But, if necessary, with that laser/light combo I can put 10 rounds in a 3" pattern in less than 3 seconds.

All of that said, I do like the idea of the wifi based system with door alarms and video, for a couple reasons: 1) a certain level of protection when we aren't home or when we are traveling, and 2) if I have to use force, a camera to show why would come in pretty handy.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Seems if that's all you need, then a video baby monitor would be an easy solution.
Yes, that is a great idea.

Here is one that seems to have good reviews on Amazon for $84. Reviewers have used it for security and pet montoring too:
https://smile.amazon.com/Home-Guardi...2KYFNG0P0&th=1
Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Someone broke in this morning around 4:30 while we were still in bed. I'd been awake for a while off and on but didn't hear anything. My wife says she heard a noise but didn't get up for another 25 minutes. Thank goodness they'd left by then. Seemed to have only snagged money from my wallet that I'd left out and her cell phone. A wicked hand tool that we have around for gardening was moved so he was carrying this thing like a sling blade for part of the time. Scary stuff. I'll be figuring out what we can do to upgrade our admitted weak security later today.
How do you know the person was a "he"?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #33

We just installed Simpli safe.
Currently it is NOT monitored, but I set it for "home" each night, what this does is sets off the siren in the house (SUPER LOUD) if someone opens a door/window or breaks the windows.

My plan is to have them monitor when we travel for the months we travel.

I'm figuring, when the siren goes off, a thief will decide to leave pretty quick as they will suspect Police are coming, it will also wake me up so I'm not caught napping.

I got the simplisafe system for $400 (was $200 off Christmas special). Looks like they still have the deal: Home Security Systems | Wireless Home Security | Burglar Alarms

I don't get anything for telling you this, but I do think, since it uses wireless/landline, and install without wires that is it pretty slick, especially if you only want it monitored when you are travelling.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #34

I just put the insteon system in the cabin. Can control lights create scenes and it can control ip cameras. Can view from phone local or away. Below is an image from cabin, it is dark and the camera is using IR.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Our last home we had a monitored system and two dogs. One night the thing goes off (painfully loud). Phone rings and the rep tells me that the rear door is the issue. Grab a 1911, extra mag, and light. The guy sees me then takes off.

Sometimes noise and alarms are not enough.
You missed from that range?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Fortress security system, self installed and not monitored. Uses a cell card for comms. We set it at night and sleep much better.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #37

Lots of good ideas. Thanks for taking the time to respond. For the moment, I got some motion detector lights for the front and the back, a motion detector alarm for the outside pantry (which is enclosed but the next area inside from the patio and where the break-in came from and others would likely occur), changed a couple of locks that were push button bathroom types (can be opened with a paper clip!). This should help us sleep tonight.

Had dogs, Rotties, for 30 yrs and I know they were great at keeping the riff-raff away. But the last experience (with bone and skin cancer) and really all the other really sad things over the years (and we travel) made us decide to give up on any more. It's been 5 or 6 years since we put down the last 2.

I said "he" as the generic pronoun but it rained early and I saw the wet footprints in the patio and it was pretty clearly a dude sized print in tennis shoes, not that it matters I guess.

There is no way to look into the kitchen without a ladder or already being in the pantry. In any event, we are keeping our wallets, purses, keys, checkbook, etc. elsewhere now.

The neighborhood isn't prone to burglaries any more than anywhere else in the middle of Los Angeles county. My property is zoned ag, we have a big nursery in back that leases from us, there are horses all over, etc. It is easy to get in the back from any number of directions. All the others nearby are acre lots at least, lots of trees, places to hide, walls and fences to jump.

The county in its infinite wisdom decided it would be a good idea to build a skateboard park in the middle of our block. It is 2 doors down from me. Mostly it is just local kids, but it pulls in some scumbags from who knows where. I've found all variety of drug and alcohol detritus out front including the occasional meth pipe. So that's not good.

When my wife woke me, I started to look around and quickly realized that this person(s) could still be inside or in the garage or around the yard. Still dark and raining a bit, I did grab my 9mm along with a flashlight to check everything. I have to say, I was very anxious. Not just because of the intruder, but having a loaded gun cocked and locked was scary. This is the first time I've ever pulled it out other than to clean it or go to target practice. I didn't feel safe with it. In fact I felt a whole lot better when I popped out the mag and jacked out the round in the pipe. Having both hands occupied was not comfortable. I know it is probably unrealistic, but I am a 4th degree black belt in Aikido and would prefer to take on someone empty handed. I know, I know... Don't want to start any thread derailers in my own thread! Just trying to describe how I felt.

Down the line we will be looking into a more sophisticated security arrangement. Down farther, we really want to move out of here. This is something we've been working on long before the break-in. Long story for another time.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
How do you know the person was a "he"?
And how do you know he was hot? I need to see someone in order to make that judgement.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
You missed from that range?
Nope.

That state was castle doctrine and I had no fear, he was fleeing and as far as I knew posed no threat to others.

Had the timing been different? Me up and about, someone attempting entry? Glad I will never have to know.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
My System:
A very protective dog and a S&W .357 in a holster attached to my bed frame.
Yeah, I'm liking that. Also we have cameras inside and outside.

Here's one other thing I would like: A motion detector that scans 5 feet above floor level (so that it wouldn't pick up my dogs). That way I'd have time to get my friends Mr Smith and Wesson.

Geez, seems awfully ballsy to do a hot burglary for such little payoff. But I guess some have little to lose.