Hot Prowler

GSD and a Glock. We actually have 3 dogs right now but the GSD is the only one that would scare anyone. The others are just early warning.

Glad you are ok. Sometimes they come back. Not trying to scare just to encourage you to prepare.

I use Nest cameras and you can set the cameras to turn on automatically when you are out of the house, based on the location of the smartphone you assign.

Like regular alarm systems you would have to turn them on at night while you are in the house which is something I don't do but probably should.
What I would want is just to be able to see the lower level interior activity should our alarm go off. No need to store the images. When I look on Amazon I see several cameras but the reviews (lots of 1 star reviews for some cameras) give me pause.

Is there a simple inexpensive viewing camera that would do just this? It looks like Nest has several bells and whistles that I don't need but maybe it's worth it for $200 if it works for several years?

Our last home we had a monitored system and two dogs. One night the thing goes off (painfully loud). Phone rings and the rep tells me that the rear door is the issue. Grab a 1911, extra mag, and light. The guy sees me then takes off.

Sometimes noise and alarms are not enough.

Last edited:
What I would want is just to be able to see the lower level interior activity should our alarm go off. No need to store the images. When I look on Amazon I see several cameras but the reviews (lots of 1 star reviews for some cameras) give me pause.

Is there a simple inexpensive viewing camera that would do just this? It looks like Nest has several bells and whistles that I don't need but maybe it's worth it for $200 if it works for several years?

Seems if that's all you need, then a video baby monitor would be an easy solution.

My System:
A very protective dog and a S&W .357 in a holster attached to my bed frame.

+1...except for mine is a Glock 30 with a Streamlight TLR-4 laser/light combo. We have two dogs. One snores pretty loud so he sleeps in the family room. He'd probably hear an intruder first and bark. Hannah, our other and more protective dog, sleeps right beside my bed, as does my Glock 30 and spare mag in its bed frame holster. We have a serious fence and gate topped with pinched arrowheads. I'm more likely to find a dead meth-head self impaled on that 6 foot fence than in my house. But, if necessary, with that laser/light combo I can put 10 rounds in a 3" pattern in less than 3 seconds.

All of that said, I do like the idea of the wifi based system with door alarms and video, for a couple reasons: 1) a certain level of protection when we aren't home or when we are traveling, and 2) if I have to use force, a camera to show why would come in pretty handy.

Someone broke in this morning around 4:30 while we were still in bed. I'd been awake for a while off and on but didn't hear anything. My wife says she heard a noise but didn't get up for another 25 minutes. Thank goodness they'd left by then. Seemed to have only snagged money from my wallet that I'd left out and her cell phone. A wicked hand tool that we have around for gardening was moved so he was carrying this thing like a sling blade for part of the time. Scary stuff. I'll be figuring out what we can do to upgrade our admitted weak security later today. :(
How do you know the person was a "he"?

We just installed Simpli safe.
Currently it is NOT monitored, but I set it for "home" each night, what this does is sets off the siren in the house (SUPER LOUD) if someone opens a door/window or breaks the windows.

My plan is to have them monitor when we travel for the months we travel.

I'm figuring, when the siren goes off, a thief will decide to leave pretty quick as they will suspect Police are coming, it will also wake me up so I'm not caught napping.

I got the simplisafe system for $400 (was $200 off Christmas special). Looks like they still have the deal: Home Security Systems | Wireless Home Security | Burglar Alarms

I don't get anything for telling you this, but I do think, since it uses wireless/landline, and install without wires that is it pretty slick, especially if you only want it monitored when you are travelling.

I just put the insteon system in the cabin. Can control lights create scenes and it can control ip cameras. Can view from phone local or away. Below is an image from cabin, it is dark and the camera is using IR.

img_1824275_0_0d48a3fa2118c6615d2cddf1eb72a819.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Our last home we had a monitored system and two dogs. One night the thing goes off (painfully loud). Phone rings and the rep tells me that the rear door is the issue. Grab a 1911, extra mag, and light. The guy sees me then takes off.

Sometimes noise and alarms are not enough.

You missed from that range?

We have a Fortress security system, self installed and not monitored. Uses a cell card for comms. We set it at night and sleep much better.

Lots of good ideas. Thanks for taking the time to respond. For the moment, I got some motion detector lights for the front and the back, a motion detector alarm for the outside pantry (which is enclosed but the next area inside from the patio and where the break-in came from and others would likely occur), changed a couple of locks that were push button bathroom types (can be opened with a paper clip!). This should help us sleep tonight.

Had dogs, Rotties, for 30 yrs and I know they were great at keeping the riff-raff away. But the last experience (with bone and skin cancer) and really all the other really sad things over the years (and we travel) made us decide to give up on any more. It's been 5 or 6 years since we put down the last 2.

I said "he" as the generic pronoun but it rained early and I saw the wet footprints in the patio and it was pretty clearly a dude sized print in tennis shoes, not that it matters I guess.

There is no way to look into the kitchen without a ladder or already being in the pantry. In any event, we are keeping our wallets, purses, keys, checkbook, etc. elsewhere now.

The neighborhood isn't prone to burglaries any more than anywhere else in the middle of Los Angeles county. My property is zoned ag, we have a big nursery in back that leases from us, there are horses all over, etc. It is easy to get in the back from any number of directions. All the others nearby are acre lots at least, lots of trees, places to hide, walls and fences to jump.

The county in its infinite wisdom decided it would be a good idea to build a skateboard park in the middle of our block. It is 2 doors down from me. Mostly it is just local kids, but it pulls in some scumbags from who knows where. I've found all variety of drug and alcohol detritus out front including the occasional meth pipe. So that's not good.

When my wife woke me, I started to look around and quickly realized that this person(s) could still be inside or in the garage or around the yard. Still dark and raining a bit, I did grab my 9mm along with a flashlight to check everything. I have to say, I was very anxious. Not just because of the intruder, but having a loaded gun cocked and locked was scary. This is the first time I've ever pulled it out other than to clean it or go to target practice. I didn't feel safe with it. In fact I felt a whole lot better when I popped out the mag and jacked out the round in the pipe. Having both hands occupied was not comfortable. I know it is probably unrealistic, but I am a 4th degree black belt in Aikido and would prefer to take on someone empty handed. I know, I know... Don't want to start any thread derailers in my own thread! Just trying to describe how I felt.

Down the line we will be looking into a more sophisticated security arrangement. Down farther, we really want to move out of here. This is something we've been working on long before the break-in. Long story for another time.

You missed from that range?

Nope.

That state was castle doctrine and I had no fear, he was fleeing and as far as I knew posed no threat to others.

Had the timing been different? Me up and about, someone attempting entry? Glad I will never have to know.

My System:

Yeah, I'm liking that. Also we have cameras inside and outside.

Here's one other thing I would like: A motion detector that scans 5 feet above floor level (so that it wouldn't pick up my dogs). That way I'd have time to get my friends Mr Smith and Wesson.

Geez, seems awfully ballsy to do a hot burglary for such little payoff. But I guess some have little to lose.

My System:
I have the same system except with a .45 caliber Colt 1911. I don't know how good the dog would be, in winter during extreme cold snaps the house will make all sorts of odd noises; the dog sleeps through them.

One good thing is that since about 85% of homes here have guns in them burglary is not an attractive occupation.

Last edited:
There are motion detectors now that are "pet proof" and won't alarm from a pet moving around. Not sure how effective they are on large pets. But door and window entry alarms are still the best prevention.

Yeah, I'm liking that. Also we have cameras inside and outside.

Here's one other thing I would like: A motion detector that scans 5 feet above floor level (so that it wouldn't pick up my dogs). That way I'd have time to get my friends Mr Smith and Wesson.

Geez, seems awfully ballsy to do a hot burglary for such little payoff. But I guess some have little to lose.

I do not rely on security cameras systems. By then, it is too late. I keep the perimeter of the house secure and fastened down, and have a couple large safes for valuables, ids, important papers and firearms. We have a secure bedroom with charged cell phones, along with the 12 ga. Stuff is insurable and replaceable, we aren't, so the plan in place for a break in is lock down, call for help, give verbal commands to stay out, police are coming.

Break down my bedroom door and loud noises will happen. Bedroom is our safe room. Safe word is Alamo.

My previous neighborhood had drug sellers move in. Lithium batteries torn apart were a tell tale mark. It was why we moved. Every home in the neighborhood was broken into, except mine. Being a old crank with a gun had a deterrent effect.

Nope.

That state was castle doctrine and I had no fear, he was fleeing and as far as I knew posed no threat to others.

Had the timing been different? Me up and about, someone attempting entry? Glad I will never have to know.

I might have thought about taking a couple shots safely into the ground (where I felt confident of no ricochet), and then maybe yelling out "Did you get him! Should I shoot too? I think I see him! Get the spot light!".

-ERD50

I might have thought about taking a couple shots safely into the ground (where I felt confident of no ricochet), and then maybe yelling out "Did you get him! Should I shoot too? I think I see him! Get the spot light!".

-ERD50

Would have been funny, but I was a bit concerned.

Actually devans0 plan is the way to go. Locked in and armed, call 911 and let them know your position. Having a house key attached to a glow stick so the PD don't have to break down the door.

MN a castle doctrine state too and we had a rural resident hear people running around outside of his property and his house. He took a weapon and went outside for whatever reason instead of calling 911. Found a bunch of drunk kids crawling on the roof of the machine shed and fired a few shots into the ground to get their attention. (he says that where he fired them)

He got booked for unlawful discharge of a firearm and he lived within the actual city limits so he needs a lawyer.Takeaway for me...only fire at an intruder if they are in your home and you feel threatened...too much can go wrong.

MN a castle doctrine state too and we had a rural resident hear people running around outside of his property and his house. He took a weapon and went outside for whatever reason instead of calling 911. Found a bunch of drunk kids crawling on the roof of the machine shed and fired a few shots into the ground to get their attention. (he says that where he fired them)

He got booked for unlawful discharge of a firearm and he lived within the actual city limits so he needs a lawyer.Takeaway for me...only fire at an intruder if they are in your home and you feel threatened...too much can go wrong.

Yes, I didn't mean for my comment to be taken too seriously. You definitely need to be aware of all laws and consequences and stay level headed about it all. It is serious stuff, I was probably a bit too flippant.

-ERD50

Yes, I didn't mean for my comment to be taken too seriously. You definitely need to be aware of all laws and consequences and stay level headed about it all. It is serious stuff, I was probably a bit too flippant.

-ERD50

And no one will probably take it too seriously either but in the heat of the moment when you are scared and pi#$ed off at the same time..S%^t happens that you can't take back.

I bought a set of those fake alarm company stickers off ebay for six bucks a decade ago. Still impervious to the bad guys. Even peeled them off the old windows and reused on the new windows when we upgraded to the fancy double pane energy efficient new windows. I think I saw the same thing at home depot for a very good price if anyone else is in the market. That and a CFL-compatible $20 motion detecting flood light works wonders.

Would have been funny, but I was a bit concerned.

Actually devans0 plan is the way to go. Locked in and armed, call 911 and let them know your position. Having a house key attached to a glow stick so the PD don't have to break down the door.
I don't quite get this one (in blue).

Assuming you are upstairs (tucked away) or not in the residence, wouldn't the cops do a perimeter search and then maybe contact the resident by phone before breaking down a door? But how do they get your phone number? In our case it is on file as part of the alarm signup with the PD.

Has anyone any experience with this or thought this through?

Back
Top Bottom