How many lefties do we have here ?

I was born a very confirmed, strong leftie, but was sternly forced by both parents and school to use my right hand only. That was thought to be a good idea back in the Dark Ages. My older brother was a leftie and had all kinds of trouble with that (smearing ink when he wrote, finding right handed items, and so on) so my parents thought that for me it should "not be allowed". :rolleyes:

Anyway, after all the years and years of efforts and spankings and yelling at me, not to mention a mitten on my left hand and every other idea they could come up with, the best I could do was to become ambidextrous. That was really nice for playing piano, by the way. (No, no mitten at the piano. :LOL:)

Then, in my young adult years I had some neurological problems with my left arm so now I am truly a rightie instead of just a pretend rightie. :) I still don't have full function of my left hand and arm.

Finally the roles were reversed. Played in a 2 man scramble today and 3 of the 4 people in our group played left handed. Left handers look odd golfing, and this is coming from a leftie..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I write and throw lefty. Swing a bat or golf club righty.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Left handed here. But lots of things I do such as writing are a mirror image of what righties do. Never had a problem with smearing.

I write and throw lefty. Swing a bat or golf club righty.

Me too. Everything lefty but Dad (righty) didn't think about it when he taught me to swing a bat/hockey stick.

My sister, wife and daughter are all lefties. My daughter writes left handed but pays golf, throws a ball and bats right handed. The odd thing is that she plays tennis left handed but serves right handed. That really confuses her opponents.

Shouldn't this thread be in the political forum? :D

Lefty in writing, eating with a fork and using a mouse. Righty in throwing.

RevLEFTY checking in! But why can't I work a computer mouse with my left hand?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

RevLEFTY checking in! But why can't I work a computer mouse with my left hand?

I've learned to use a mouse with my left and thus can't use my right hand as everything that way feels backwards :(.

I am a righty. But I kick a ball with my left leg, I am left eyed, and if I were to play a guitar, it would be with my left hand. Go figure.

I'm a lefty. Eating, writing, scissors, sewing, crochet are left. Throwing a ball, bowling, batting are right. But shooting a basketball is left. Tennis, racquetball I suck equally with either hand but both are comfortable.

My son is only a lefty. He can't do a thing right handed. He would have to catch a baseball with his left then take the glove off to throw with his left hand.

Shouldn't this thread be in the political forum? :D

Four of the last five presidents have been left-handed, and five of the last seven.

I've read that left-handedness can be the result of brain damage during delivery. My dad told me the doctor used forceps on my head to encourage my delivery ... I've also dealt with attention-deficit disorder all my life.

I'm pretty thoroughly left-hand dominant but right-eye dominant. An injury to my left hand when I was 11 forced me to learn to write right-handed, but it never felt right. After a couple of years I reverted to lefty with a pen.

...I've read that left-handedness can be the result of brain damage during delivery.

Well, yeah, if the UPS delivery guy tosses you a heavy package which hits you in the head while you're not looking...

I am left-handed. I bat left, throw left, kick a ball left, write left, eat with a fork or spoon left. When the situation calls for it, I eat with both hands at the same time (so maybe I'm also a bit ambidextrous) Tonight I noticed that I eat potato chips with my right hand.

Last edited:
DH and 6 year old DD are lefties. DD has definitely shown signs of some of the natural abilities that I've heard lefties possess. She seems to have a natural ability in math and can mentally add numbers in her head (she is in Kindergarten). She also has an ear for music and remembers the rhythm of a song that she's only heard once. Interestingly, she can cut with right-handed scissors.

Politically, sometimes a lefty. :LOL: With my hands, always a righty.

Lefty here - sister is also as was my grandfather and one of our daughters.

Lefty, only one in my family. I loved the special scissors I got to use in kindergarten! Like many others, I struggled to learn how to do some stuff when I was a kid and watching right handed people do it, so I shoot basketball and dribble right handed and use a right hand mouse.

A friend is a righty, and doing a barber apprenticeship with a left handed barber. He says it is really hard to follow...I said welcome to my world!

There are more lefties now that the schools don't try to change us, like W2R described. One thing we all do in my experience, is adapt our writing to make it work. I turn the page sideways, while others wrote above the page kinda backwards.

I thought this was going to be a quickly banned post in the political area

So this just proves what we all know that lefties are much more adaptable 'cause we need to be....

Nothing sinister amongst our tribe. One brother is either ambi or bi, not sure which, and another brother is one of those rebellious lefties that survived and recovered from a childhood of forced righty-ness.

Eat and write lefty, bat and throw righty, tools I use either. Can play racquetball with either but more skillful with right. And a retired engineer

Back
Top Bottom