How many miles on your cars?

Too much effort to walk out to the driveway. Y'all have a serious statistics jones. You might want to get that looked at. :cool:

1976 Chevy-150k (bought in 1984)
1990 Toyota 4x4-Who knows? Was totally re-built by previous owner. (Bought in 2002)
2004 Honda-75k (Bought in 2005)

1977 Chrysler Cordoba 130000 Km
1998 Ford Explorer 260000 Km
2005 Buick Allure 90000 Km

2000 Honda Stream 15000
2005 Honda Odyssey 25000
2007 Toyota Tacoma 5000
2007 Lexus is250 3500

R

'99 Stratus - 125,000 (hopefully will last until the plug in hybrids are available)
'03 Dakota quad -24,000 (Boat puller)

How do you like you Roadtrek?

I am extremely happy with it. On our first trip, we drove (from Denver) to Annapolis, Maryland -- spent a week -- drove to Pittsburg -- stayed a week with relatives -- drove to Chicago -- spent a week exploring Route 66 from St Louis back to Chicago -- drive home through Wisconsin. I was hooked. There is something really nice about sleeping in your own bed (queen size) every night. We then spent a week (or so) in each of Wyoming/Montana, Kansas, New Mexico, and Texas. We are going to Wyoming for Thanksgiving (DD) and then heading out for a couple weeks in Oklahoma.

On the functionality part, I am even more pleased. We purchased the biggest model but it will go anywhere a car can -- well, I need 8'6" clearance (only had a problem once). And I mean I can park it anywhere a non-compact car can -- and even then...

It gets between 15 and 16 MPG but I can't complain really -- that 6 liter Chevrolet V-8 will take that 10,000 pound vehicle up to 60 in a heart beat. And even on the steepest mountain passes the cruise control holds steady.

Recommend it highly.

2003 Subaru Outback: 84,500
1993 BMW 525iT: 156,000
1989 Volvo 240: 212,000

1993 BMW 525iT: 156,000

Is that a great engine or what! getting about 23.5mpg for overall economy with a DaSylva chip. High marks for durability also.
'93 525it also, closer to 200k miles

we had one when I was a kid...it was a green beast.

Same here. We had the one with the holes in the floorboards.

I am extremely happy with it. On our first trip, we drove (from Denver) to Annapolis, Maryland -- spent a week -- drove to Pittsburg -- stayed a week with relatives -- drove to Chicago -- spent a week exploring Route 66 from St Louis back to Chicago -- drive home through Wisconsin. I was hooked. There is something really nice about sleeping in your own bed (queen size) every night. We then spent a week (or so) in each of Wyoming/Montana, Kansas, New Mexico, and Texas. We are going to Wyoming for Thanksgiving (DD) and then heading out for a couple weeks in Oklahoma.

On the functionality part, I am even more pleased. We purchased the biggest model but it will go anywhere a car can -- well, I need 8'6" clearance (only had a problem once). And I mean I can park it anywhere a non-compact car can -- and even then...

It gets between 15 and 16 MPG but I can't complain really -- that 6 liter Chevrolet V-8 will take that 10,000 pound vehicle up to 60 in a heart beat. And even on the steepest mountain passes the cruise control holds steady.

Recommend it highly.

We looked at them as an option, but they are expensive and it sure seemed like they would be claustrophobic with two adults and two kids. Do you find the space tight? How well does the shower arrangement work when you need it?

We looked at them as an option, but they are expensive and it sure seemed like they would be claustrophobic with two adults and two kids. Do you find the space tight? How well does the shower arrangement work when you need it?

Yes, I agree. It would be too tight for four people -- unless the children were very small. (and, I guess, you would then have an even bigger problem... too much energy and too little space.) In addition, we found the original cabinets inadequate so we removed the two lounge seats (which make into the two single beds) and added armoire and shelving units.

The only space constraints we find it is that the person on the left side of the bed has to crawl over the other one to get up. On the other hand, there are no ladders to climb.

We have not had opportunity to really use the shower. We are Travelers and not Campers. We use the Roadtrek as our hotel room; staying in RV Parks with showers. I did, however, try it just to "make sure it works." It was no different than taking a shower in the cabin of any cruise ship. (recognising that if you are not "hooked up," it would be easy to run out of water prematurely.) The toilet works just fine, though, and that is more important. In fact, we have not spent more than one night in any one place.

All things considered, the cost comparison with other RVs is at worst a wash. We don't, for example, need a towed (toad) vehicle since I can already go where I want... within the aforementioned 8'6" clearance. (In full disclosure: This does not include off-road.) We do have most of the things that we have in our "permanent" home -- a wide screen HD television/home theatre with surround sound, a microwave, coffee maker, air conditioning/heating, refrigerator, stove (we added a toaster oven), two tables, and (swivel) chairs. And even an awning for outside seating. I have no regrets on the pricing (except perhaps that I could have waited six months <chuckle>).

Interesting, Ron. Since we already had a tow vehicle that was rated for 3500#, we ended up with a travel trailer that has all the amenities you described. It was a lot less expensive than a motorized RV and fits us for now. But if it were just DW and I, a roadrek would be at the top of the list. We generally use the camp's showers as well, as the bath in the trailer is functional but tight.

Back
Top Bottom