Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much did you spend on.....
Old 02-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

1976 - I have no idea how much it cost.

Our rings were from a discount store (Best's), mine cost $23.00, hers cost $19.00. No engagement ring.

We went on a honeymoon to the eastern shore of Va, Chincoteague, which was where we met. Two days later I had final exams.

We had chocolate icing on yellow cake. People told us it was the best wedding cake they ever had.

We're still married.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
1983 - The 900 included wedding, all food, booze,, photographer and rental tables and chairs - we had about 300 friends and family attend-it ended up being a real "shindig" went almost all night...ahhh youth!
Great investment.

The 30K and more weddings FREAK me out - that would fund a barebones year of retirement - a year.....not 1 day
This is a complete apples to oranges thread. The cost of a wedding has increased by an average of 4.75% per year since 2000. The demographics are also different, people are married older, have jobs, carreers, houses, may have lived together prior to the wedding.

We had a very similar wedding to you, the difference is it was 12 years later. We had 250 people, BBQ dinner buffet, wedding was outside, JP, photographer, rental table & chairs, and booze. The day before the wedding I made all the boutineers, bouquets, centerpieces, I hand-made every invitation and program - still cost $20,000 and it was a hellva shindig, worth every penny.

When is the last time you saw a $19 wedding ring for sale? When Ford came out with the Pinto or Model T?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #43

My sister was getting married about 20 years ago. She wanted a big wedding with all the frills. My mom and us sibs were sort of shaking our heads and wondering about her a bit, but she always was the one that had to have the nice clothes etc. Now, she is the one with no savings and the nicest house and car.

My (then) 62 year old mom, who was footing most of the bill, didn't really want to deal with it all and offered my sister and fiance a deluxe trip to Hawaii in lieu of the wedding. They declined.

At the height of her exasperation, my mom looks at me and says "I don't understand it. Christ, I'd have gotten married in an outhouse for a trip to Hawaii!"

guess it's about values....
Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got married 15 years ago on the radio with 20 other couples on Valentine's Day. It was a group cake, his tux was free from a sponsor, my bouquet was free from a sponsor, and the hotel venue was free. Between my dress and the rings, I think we spent $800. Everyone at work listened over the PA system turned to the radio station. I still have the tape somewhere.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #45

2004: $60 for license and JP.

We didn't exactly do things in order - the twins were 6. We didn't invite them - I don't think they know we weren't always married. Didn't invite family either - my parents are still mad.

Took a weekend away in a nearby town, but had to get someone to stay at the house with the kids, that was the most expensive part.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #46

The "correlation" thing doesn't work in my family. My sisters' weddings were probably $15-$20K apiece, and they're both still married. However, I got married the youngest out of the three of us, and also dated the fewest people before getting married. If I had it to do over again I'd date more people and wait another 10 years before getting married.

One thing I am glad we did for our wedding though is have our wedding the way we wanted it for the most part. I think each bride should have her own wedding instead of having the wedding her mother always wanted.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #47

Big party, great band, awesome night! In 1993 $10k paid by Mom & Dad. Worth every penny and still cost way less than my sister's wedding a few years later. The best part was my wedding dress was made by my 2nd cousin Thomasina, whose Mom had my my Mom's wedding dress!

I think we will likely spend a bundle on my 40th birthday party coming up in 4 years. I'm planning a blowout!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #48

DW and I paid approximatly $12,000 in 1985 for 225 guests. First and only marriage, , Italian, Portugese background. I still concider her my best friend and still married.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #49

$1500 engagement ring (some of the diamonds bought off the internet) - 2003
$200 for my and DW's wedding rings off the internet - 2004
$300 for wedding and reception - 2004

We had two weddings. The "official" legal wedding took place right after midnight on the wedding day at the magistrate's office in the county emergency services building (where the county jail is!). The magistrate just happened to have known me as I was growing up, since his son and I were in Boy Scouts together for 7 years. He went out of his way to have a really nice ceremony for us in a nice location of the emergency services building.

The big shindig wedding took place at my SIL's house. Traditional Asian wedding (sacrificial chickens, gambling, etc ). The proceeds from the house cut of the gambling plus cash gifts paid for the wedding itself. We had a few expenses like $100 for a hand tailored dress and a few hundred bottles of beer. Not sure who paid for the pig and the cow.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #50

We got married in the post chaple at Fort Knox, 1980. That cost $100. Reception was at the NCO club, in-laws paid for that. We got married on Saturday in Kentucky and I was at work Monday morning in Texas. We are going on our honeymoon next month.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm
We got married in the post chaple at Fort Knox, 1980. That cost $100. Reception was at the NCO club, in-laws paid for that. We got married on Saturday in Kentucky and I was at work Monday morning in Texas. We are going on our honeymoon next month.
Married in 1980 and honeymoon next week....you gotta an easy going wife
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Lot's of super frugal types! Good for you. Not the case here. We did the traditional thing. We found a reception local in an old historic schoolhouse with private grounds that we had to ourselves the whole day. We did a lot to keep the cost down - first by inviting only 74 people ( the place would have to make special arrangements to hold more so we used that as an excuse). All told, the rings, reception, food, and honeymoon ( the Poconos, yeah baby, welcome to the land of love!) cost under $10k which we were happy with. We made our own centerpieces by buying small fishbowls, potpurri, doilies, and ribbons at a store called Micheal's - arts and crafts store. potporri in the bowl, doily covers it, ribbon ties around the edge to hold it down - wala - tasteful centerpiece that people can see over to talk at the table. I still remember digging through the bargain bin there to find enough matching doilies until we realized no one would notice. Costs that stood out - the dress was $600, her engagement ring was $1,500, and the photographer was $1,000 ( our one big indulgence). All things considered, we were happy to get the wedding, reception, and vacation for under five figures, especially since we had friends who blew 60k.

Oh, and it was <10k in 1999.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #53

I had 3 sisters who all $50K+ weddings and my wife was never one of these girls who dreamed of a big wedding.

We shocked the family and told them we wanted to get married in Maui. I guess I should have thought more about my parents because it probably cost them $20K to get them, my sisters, husbands and kids to maui.

The ceremony was at the Grand Wailea which cost about $9K including dinner for 20 after the ceremony which my FIL picked up.

It wasn't the cheapest wedding, but we did have fun.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

circa 2000

food: <$500. Table of a big cake, couple of smaller ones, fresh fruits: strawberries, cherries, etc. Table of Italian/Chinese foods: basically went to favorite restaurants and said "we would like 15 servings of this dish on this day."

flowers: $400. This equalled two packed to the gills Saab-loads of roses, orchids, and 2 miniature gardenia trees from the downtown flower district. Friend and I trimmed flowers and arranged them the night before. I would guess this would have cost thousands had it been professionally done.

dress: <$150 for fabric, thread, pattern. was in residency at the time, working 120+ hr/wk, no time for fittings or even shopping since most of the time I was off work, stores were closed. So parents arrived the night before, mom bearing beautiful Italian silk fabric (bought on sale from G street fabrics), and my best friend and I made the dress the night before.

wedding program: $75. Spent on beautiful vellum paper, silk ribbons, printing by MIL.

a lifetime's hoarding collection of fabrics and ribbons used for decoration

ring/diamond: don't know, dh bought it from the "best" jeweller where he lived at the time. But let me put it this way, it is of a size that matches my small bone structure, and that I never need to be embarrassed of in front of less financially fortunate persons. Every year, I find it more and more beautiful.

in a big old house, family owned.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #55

I forgot to mention that I won our honeymoon to Aruba in a contest.