Votes: 39 17.6%
  • More than $3 per day

Votes: 48 21.6%
  • We tip varying amounts or not regularly

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • No tip

Votes: 69 31.1%

• Total voters
We tip $5 per day, because staff doesn't necessarily work a "5 days in a row" week.

Before we leave on a trip I make up sealed envelopes ahead of time with "Housekeeping" written in felt pen on the front, and leave it by the TV or other obvious place when we go out during the day.

Always have a few extra in my laptop bag, just in case we need a fiver for tipping a valet, etc.

End of trip?

If you do it at the end of the trip isn't it possible that the housekeeper that day reaps the benefit of someone else great service prior during the stay? They may have done all the work and took good care of you and then the new person who just handles the day you leave gets the nice tip.

I generally leave $5.00 per day for housekeeping. Sometimes I don’t even request them to clean the room, but I’ll catch them and ask for extra towels, toiletries and the like.

We tip 4 to 5 dollars daily. Daily because You may not always get the same housekeeper each day.

My mom was a maid at a couple hotels for over 20 years. I remember about 45+ years ago Frank Sinatra booking an entire floor of the hotel for himself and entourage, probably were there a couple of days. When he left, everyone in housekeeping was given a $50.00 tip. I’m thinking that must be approximately $200-250 today’s dollars?? Whenever I hear some unflattering words about Frank, this memory comes back and I think it shows character that only those who worked for him were aware. He blessed my family with his generosity, and in addition he unknowingly changed me forever. I tip well cause it’s the right thing to do. Just a fond childhood memory. Thanks again Frank. 😊

I've never tipped for hotel housekeeping. I think I'm a pretty generous tipper with people I interact with (wait staff, barber, valet, etc) but when I'm paying $150-300/night for a hotel room and I always hang a Do Not Disturb sign if I'm there more than one night, it seems like the hotel should be picking up the slack in wages.

We always tipped 2-5 dollars a night until we caught the supervisor taking the tip before the housekeeper came in.

This happened at a Marriott brand mid-price chain; we had checked out but before we drove away, I realized I forgot something. I went back up to the room to get it and the supervisor, with her clipboard was leaving the room. I went in to retrieve the forgotten item and the tip was gone, room not cleaned yet. We had left it next the the little note the housekeeper left for us. And we already had met her halfway through our stay, so I knew who she was.

Is it possible she shared it? Maybe. But I doubt it. So I now try to tip the housekeeper in person before the last day or we don’t leave anything.

We were staying in a higher end room in Rome last month. We were leaving at 0500 last morning so I put $6 Euros before dinner on counter so I wouldn't forget. Forgot about turn down service. Got back from dinner and bed turned down, slippers put out with white robes, and money for tip gone. :cool:
So I had to re-up the tip since I don't believe it was the same person cleaning the room.

Used to tip $3/night for years at regular hotels in US. Now, I think it's supposed to be $6, but I generally leave $5. Also, if on business by myself, I put "do not disturb" since it is usually 2 or 3 nights.

Like what? Tell me what I get for tipping beyond warm fuzzies.

In hotels where they do things like leave candies/snacks are part of the service, I have gotten extra. Like a bag instead of 1 or 2. Or free stuff that I would normally be charged from the minibar.

In some cases word spreads to the front desk (I think they put comments in the stay record), and I have been comped things that they might charge for (e.g. a mini fridge in a hotel that does not normally provide them without a charge). Free snack plate and wine as a "gift" from management. Once in Las Vegas I got the resort fee waived for half of my stay.

Tipping, smiling and saying hello to the housekeeping staff, thanking them for their work when you see them... things I think of as normal sometimes are viewed as an exception to them, and I sometimes get these type of rewards. :)

Tipping just continues the greed of management a greed that does not trickle down.
So Wow, have lodging cost gone up. Not paying help adequately is what is a big part of the inequality we suffer.

Tipping just continues the greed of management a greed that does not trickle down.
So Wow, have lodging cost gone up. Not paying help adequately is what is a big part of the inequality we suffer.
Housekeeping staff are subject to regular wage laws not a reduced wage like wait staff. How does allowing such employees to accept tips reflect greed?

Presumably intentionally underpaying housekeeping staff would backfire, as they would never accept a job under such conditions or would quickly leave for better jobs.

How does refusing to tip solve the perceived injustice?

Last edited:
Yes

No because I "assume" they make substantially more money then housekeeping.

Tip everyone for everything.Tip the cashier at the market.Tip the clerk at checkin.Tip the teller at the bank.Tip the greeter at Walmart!
It is our duty to pay everyone’s wages so companies like huge hotel chains do not have to pay a decent wage yet charge us exorbitant rates for rooms,meals,parking,etc.
We took our grandson to see Disney on Ice Saturday and the huge 90 pct empty lot around the arena charged $40 to park.I guess we should have tipped the guy who took the money at the parking entrance too.

Housekeeping staff are subject to regular wage laws not a reduced wage like wait staff. How does allowing such employees to accept tips reflect greed?

Presumably intentionally underpaying housekeeping staff would backfire, as they would never accept a job under such conditions or would quickly leave for better jobs.

How does refusing to tip solve the perceived injustice?
2009 minimum wage $7.25 and today it is $7.25. This is not a livable wage. Average hotel rate up over 20%. See JJ Pop's post earlier today. Quite well said! The tipping culture just promotes employers under paying workers.

2009 minimum wage $7.25 and today it is $7.25. This is not a livable wage. Average hotel rate up over 20%. See JJ Pop's post earlier today. Quite well said! The tipping culture just promotes employers under paying workers.
And the minimum wage for tipped positions, like waiting tables, has been at $2.13 since 1991!

Well, you did not actually respond to my question. You assume everyone makes the minimum wage I guess.

The minimum wage was never intended to be a "living wage". If it was higher, lost jobs would result as we know from both ECON 101 and various scholarly studies.

Since most positions do not derive substantial pay from tips, your premise does not seem likely.

I certainly would not let the presence of a tip jar or "do you want to tip 18, 22 or 25%" on a computer screen dictate the requirement of a tip for un-tipped positions. Is that what you mean by "tip culture"?

Last edited:
Basic economics. If everyone stopped tipping restaurants would be forced to increase wages.

Basic economic THEORY. In practice, you'd be hurting the wait staff more than the business owners. I don't like the tipping model either, but if you really want to boycott the practice, you should not patronize restaurants unless they have a policy or local law paying wait staff the regular minimum wage. Take it out on the perpetrators of the practice, not those who are at its mercy.

Last edited:
Basic economic THEORY. In practice, you'd be hurting the wait staff more than the business owners. I don't like tipping either, but if you really want to boycott the practice, you should not patronize restaurants unless they have a policy or local law paying wait staff the regular minimum wage. Take it out on the perpetrators of the practice, not those who are at its mercy.
I agree. Also the theory assumes that everyone will stop tipping all at the same time and that's not going to happen.

My tip to housekeeping is we do not use them.When we check out they clean the room.I do not understand why people need their hotel room cleaned every day. Do you change your sheets every day at home?

I do not understand why people need their hotel room cleaned every day. Do you change your sheets every day at home?

No, but I make the bed, straighten up, etc. Most hotels don't change the sheets daily anymore, nor towels if you hang them.

My tip to housekeeping is we do not use them.When we check out they clean the room.I do not understand why people need their hotel room cleaned every day. Do you change your sheets every day at home?

Who do you think cleans the room before you check in? If nothing else, that cleaning is usually more work than the typical cleaning during anyone's stay.

Who do you think cleans the room before you check in? If nothing else, that cleaning is usually more work than the typical cleaning during anyone's stay.

Well everyone is different.I would never ever in 1000 years make my bed while staying at a hotel unless I had visitors coming by.
I tell housekeeping when I see them in the hall we are good.You do not have to come in my room for 4 days or whatever it is.I hang the towel just like at home and leave the bed.

Back
Top Bottom