How often do you turn your tablet on and off?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I turn my tablet on and off multiple times a day. Basically, if I'm not going to use it for an hour of two, I figure I will save the battery some, plus I was raised to turn something off when I am finished with it. I read in a book, where the manufacturers recommend you leave it on all day. Just curious what others do. The batteries don't seem to discharge much when it is not in use.

I never turn off my iPad. I only power off my laptop if I'm going to be away for more than a couple of days.

I never turn off my iPad. I only power off my laptop if I'm going to be away for more than a couple of days.

+1

I find that I need to power cycle my iPad about once a month to keep it running efficiently and smoothly, but otherwise it stays on 24/7. I generally keep my laptop and my desktop PCs in "sleep" mode when I'm not using them, since they wake up from sleep much, much quicker than booting up from scratch.

Never, unless there are problems. It is plugged in almost always.

I keep mine plugged into the charger as much as possible to keep the battery from declining prematurely.

I turn it off and on once or twice a week. Most computers (and tablets are computers) need this to 'refresh' themselves.

I never power mine down. I suppose I would if I wasn't going to use for a week or so.

I expect it takes more power to shutdown, then reboot an iPad that it uses in a day or two of it being in sleep mode.

I only power down my iPad when it acts goofy - about once a month.

I turn it off and on once or twice a week. Most computers (and tablets are computers) need this to 'refresh' themselves.

Today's Macs, and iOS devices really don't require a periodic reboot.

My iPhone/iPad/Mac don't reboot unless there is a OS update (admittedly a fairly common occurrence given security updates and all).

I can't speak to android and windows.

As other have stated, only power down and re-boot my tablet when not running correctly....or when I know I won't be using it for some time (defined as several days).

I almost never shut off my iPad (or iPhone) because the battery drain when it's "sleeping" is almost trivial.

I turn my tablet on and off multiple times a day. Basically, if I'm not going to use it for an hour of two, I figure I will save the battery some, plus I was raised to turn something off when I am finished with it. I read in a book, where the manufacturers recommend you leave it on all day. Just curious what others do. The batteries don't seem to discharge much when it is not in use.

Closing the cover puts mine to sleep - that's what I do. Good enough.

Yep, I restart my iPad when it starts acting goofy. Every few weeks maybe.

Never turn any of my iPads off. Have one for general use and a 12.9 inch iPad Pro stand mounted on my nightstand as a "smarter TV"

I only turn off our iPads if they start acting weird. Since we use the iPads for almost everything, we very seldom use our computer and so only turn it on for those rare occasions when it's needed. I turn off my Samsung Galaxy 7 every night so I won't be disturbed.

I only power down my iPad when it acts goofy - about once a month.

+1
One time it acted so goofy it wouldn't turn off. I had to let it sit for two days till the battery died, recharge it, then it restarted fine. Eight months later it's still good.

My wife never turns off her Android tablet. The battery lasts an amazing long time when not plugged in even when she's using it. Inactive, it goes to sleep and uses even less juice.

Now, only if the smartphones can last as long.

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of questions about sleep mode. I assume it goes directly into sleep mode when I push the power button and quickly release it. Is that correct? What about when I am not using the tablet for awhile and the screen eventually goes blank. Is that sleep mode also? I have an Android tablet. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of questions about sleep mode. I assume it goes directly into sleep mode when I push the power button and quickly release it. Is that correct? What about when I am not using the tablet for awhile and the screen eventually goes blank. Is that sleep mode also? I have an Android tablet. Thanks.

Yes, those are both sleep mode.

I do a hard restart on my iPad and iPhone about once a week. My MacBook about once a month...

No.

It's more complicated than that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/safe-charge-smartphone-overnight-2017-8

"Having your phone plugged in at night doesn't diminish the battery," says Kyle Wiens, the head of iFixit, a California company known for its repair guides and "teardowns" of consumer gadgets. "It's all about cycle count — it's all about how you actually use the battery, how much work you're making the battery do."

I do agree that running a battery down to 0% and then back up to 100% is not a good thing to do frequently. Not letting the battery get to hot is another good idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom