Join Early Retirement Today

how to handle this job offer
Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

how to handle this job offer

got a job offer from company a yesterday, this is thru an agency, will start as contract to hire and then convert to permanent 6 months. Then got email from company b asking me to submit formal application which will lead to an onsite interview. I already had two phone interviews with them. company b is in the dod industry which what i'm passionate about and they will sponsor my dod clearance. Company a is just another regular job.

I'm supposed to reply to the agency with an answer today, although I can stall it another day or so. what is the best course of action here?
a. Tell company a I need more time decide?
b. give a verbal yes to company a. if company b comes in with an offer, back out of a ?

ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #2

Unless you are in a high demand field and have no concerns about getting another job, I would go with option B. If you are in a high demand situation, I would just stall on company A and maybe even just turn it down. The good part is that company A is only offering you a contract position. They’re telling you up front that you’re on thin ice for six months. So, if you’re there a month and leave for company B, so what? They might tell you in 5 months and 29 days that they’re not interested in you. You have no commitment to them. Do what’s best for you.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

b. is what I would do. Accept the Company A temp job while simultaneously pursuing Company B job. You got to look out for #1.

The reality is that the Company B job might not ever pan out to anything or may take an extended period of time for them to make you an offer.

If you think that you might get an offer from Company B soon, perhaps you could accept the Company A job but push out your start date.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #4

I would do B, unless you can accomplish A with a simple counter request, such as:

Another week's vacation
2% more salary
etc., - just ask for a little sweetener that won't result in them pulling the offer, but will chew up a couple of days.

Then see how fast you can get the other Co to move. Chances are it will take more than a week, so you'll need to potentially accept the first offer and then stall on start date or something. So you might want to use that as leverage with the 2nd co - "Hi, I have another offer but I'm really very excited about your opportunity. Of course, you would be my first choice, is there any way we can speed things up a bit?" blah blah
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
.... So you might want to use that as leverage with the 2nd co - "Hi, I have another offer but I'm really very excited about your opportunity. Of course, you would be my first choice, is there any way we can speed things up a bit?" blah blah
Good idea... and conveniently it happens to be the truth.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Unless you are in a high demand field and have no concerns about getting another job, I would go with option B. If you are in a high demand situation, I would just stall on company A and maybe even just turn it down. The good part is that company A is only offering you a contract position. They’re telling you up front that you’re on thin ice for six months. So, if you’re there a month and leave for company B, so what? They might tell you in 5 months and 29 days that they’re not interested in you. You have no commitment to them. Do what’s best for you.
+1...Company A has basically offered you a 6 month on site job interview..you don't owe them anything except a good day's work for everyday you are actually there.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

If you do take “a” then check if they will pay you through a 1099 MISC. If they do know that you’ll need to sock away for taxes and self employment taxes.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is there any indication that Company B would also have a 6 month trial period? When discussing with Co. B I would mention you currently have a temp to hire offer and need to reply in a day or two. How soon is Co B ready to hire?

If you go Co A with the thought of jumping ship to Co B, be careful about signing any contract with either Company A or the agency.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #9

Good point CRLLS, ….though you can still quit any job AFAIK...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Take the first job offer in front of you. There may not be another.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the suggestions. Took co. A offer indeed.

ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote