how to handle this job offer

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
got a job offer from company a yesterday, this is thru an agency, will start as contract to hire and then convert to permanent 6 months. Then got email from company b asking me to submit formal application which will lead to an onsite interview. I already had two phone interviews with them. company b is in the dod industry which what i'm passionate about and they will sponsor my dod clearance. Company a is just another regular job.

I'm supposed to reply to the agency with an answer today, although I can stall it another day or so. what is the best course of action here?
a. Tell company a I need more time decide?
b. give a verbal yes to company a. if company b comes in with an offer, back out of a ?

Unless you are in a high demand field and have no concerns about getting another job, I would go with option B. If you are in a high demand situation, I would just stall on company A and maybe even just turn it down. The good part is that company A is only offering you a contract position. They’re telling you up front that you’re on thin ice for six months. So, if you’re there a month and leave for company B, so what? They might tell you in 5 months and 29 days that they’re not interested in you. You have no commitment to them. Do what’s best for you.

b. is what I would do. Accept the Company A temp job while simultaneously pursuing Company B job. You got to look out for #1.

The reality is that the Company B job might not ever pan out to anything or may take an extended period of time for them to make you an offer.

If you think that you might get an offer from Company B soon, perhaps you could accept the Company A job but push out your start date.

I would do B, unless you can accomplish A with a simple counter request, such as:

Another week's vacation
2% more salary
etc., - just ask for a little sweetener that won't result in them pulling the offer, but will chew up a couple of days.

Then see how fast you can get the other Co to move. Chances are it will take more than a week, so you'll need to potentially accept the first offer and then stall on start date or something. So you might want to use that as leverage with the 2nd co - "Hi, I have another offer but I'm really very excited about your opportunity. Of course, you would be my first choice, is there any way we can speed things up a bit?" blah blah

.... So you might want to use that as leverage with the 2nd co - "Hi, I have another offer but I'm really very excited about your opportunity. Of course, you would be my first choice, is there any way we can speed things up a bit?" blah blah

Good idea... and conveniently it happens to be the truth.

Unless you are in a high demand field and have no concerns about getting another job, I would go with option B. If you are in a high demand situation, I would just stall on company A and maybe even just turn it down. The good part is that company A is only offering you a contract position. They’re telling you up front that you’re on thin ice for six months. So, if you’re there a month and leave for company B, so what? They might tell you in 5 months and 29 days that they’re not interested in you. You have no commitment to them. Do what’s best for you.

+1...Company A has basically offered you a 6 month on site job interview..you don't owe them anything except a good day's work for everyday you are actually there.

If you do take “a” then check if they will pay you through a 1099 MISC. If they do know that you’ll need to sock away for taxes and self employment taxes.

Is there any indication that Company B would also have a 6 month trial period? When discussing with Co. B I would mention you currently have a temp to hire offer and need to reply in a day or two. How soon is Co B ready to hire?

If you go Co A with the thought of jumping ship to Co B, be careful about signing any contract with either Company A or the agency.

Good point CRLLS, ….though you can still quit any job AFAIK...

Back
Top Bottom