Hurricane Florence

We were on Wrightsville-Carolina-Kure Beach for a couple days less than two weeks ago, never dreamed they could be transformed for the worse two weeks later. I hope they fare better than expected, but it’s a very low lying area and there are (older) homes there that didn’t appear to be on stilts or with “blowout” ground floors, I can’t imagine. We stayed in Wilmington, it appears their waterfront could be severely altered too. Mostly depends on the storm surge height.

Last edited:
We were on Wrightsville-Carolina-Kure Beach for a couple days less than two weeks ago, never dreamed they could be transformed for the worse two weeks later. I hope they fare better than expected, but it’s a very low lying area and there are (older) homes there that didn’t appear to be on stilts or with “blowout” ground floors, I can’t imagine. We stayed in Wilmington, it appears their waterfront could be severely altered too. Mostly depends on the storm surge height.
Kure beach 25 years ago was almost all first floor structures. Through the years, they've been replacing them with stilt-blowout structures. (I like that term, BTW, although so people have made their blowout sections way too fancy.)

There are still many 1 story structures on Kure, many from the 50s and 60s. I don't expect them to make it with the current forecast and surge forecast. It is going to look completely different.

If the flooding is half as bad as Harvey was last year it will be bad . But I don't see the population mass as was in Texas . It might not be real bad.

We moved to Raliegh 3 years ago, figuring we were far enough inland to not be too worried about hurricanes. I've learned alot about the rivers and lakes they engineered to handle the water load this region gets. Wilmington is going to be scary, they are talking 30 inches of rain PLUS whatever is dumping into them from Cape Fear River. New Bern area is just about as bad and has everything from the Neuse River. There are tons of man made lakes along the way to try to "slow down" that dumping...which means each of those have potential to flood its own areas upstream. They tried to empty them as much as possible prior to the storm arriving, we'll see how much that helps.

By 4 today, almost everything will be closed in Raleigh and assume Friday/Sat everyone will be just staying put praying we don't lose power or flood...and thats 150 miles from where it will hit landfall. I was told last major hurricane like this people lost power in the area for up to 10 days. We tried to plan for 3-5 days, we shall see how it goes.

I'm just grateful Dad decided to come up here, since the track now has it passing over his place in South Carolina.

Had a roofer over earlier to fix a small leak before we get our "only" 6-10 inches over the next 3 days...

11pm NHC update has Florence coming ashore maybe as a hurricane, maybe as a tropical storm, as its winds continue to abate. Still plenty of rain forecasted though.

Flo came ashore at Wrightsville Beach. Floods you see now are surge. More flooding to come.

Late last night I saw a post from the National Weather Service at Morehead City that they already had storm surge of 10 feet. Wave height is on top of storm surge (I think). I was up so late watching that I have not yet checked things out this morning.

Back
Top Bottom