Hurricane Florence

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Mrs and I just got back from filing two 5 gallon gas cans. We also took in the outdoor umbrella and started the generator. I hope that will appease the hurricane gods. Yeah I know it’s still a few days away but I wanted give the god time to turn it out to sea.

Last edited:
May we assume that Ray is NOT in Penn.?

Actually I am and yes I know best estimates are S.C. But even a near miss in my next of the woods means lost power...

Good luck to our SE Coast forum friends. Could be Cat 4 next week.

For the most accurate info, please try to use the NOA site vs. others. You'll get actual data, better science, and far less hyperbole, than virtually anywhere else. This is where the advisories, warnings, cones, etc., all originate.

Given there are three named storms active now in the Atlantic, I'll probably keep a tab on this page for the rest of the month:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

With every storm, they do updates every 3 hours (5, 8, 11, Eastern, etc.). Major updates, which include the outputs of recon flights into the storms usually, come on the 8's and 11's. Interim updates at 5's and 2's. Adjust for your time zone of course.

Hope it wimpers out but doesn't look good at the moment.

I had damage to my front storm door when Gordon blew through last week on the AL coast. I wasn't expecting anything from that storm as it never reached cat 1 status. The door never did latch well and it's possible I didn't close it tightly when I left last time, but it blew open and pulled away from the hinges. Messed up some wood trim in the process. Will have to deal with that next week when I go down. Just shows it doesn't take a large storm to do some damage.

We in Texas are feeling good that we won't be seeing any of these storms. We remember Harvey.

Batten down, east coasters!

Been through 2 direct hits at category 2+, as long as you are not in a mobile home or below sea level just be prepared to not have power for a few days and turn off the anxiety producing news.

I lost power this am . I am not ready to lose power for days. Very frustrating for even 3 hours. It is that internet thing. Serious withdrawal symptoms.
I need to get a crack up radio at least. My stove is gas and I have a spark lighter. I thought it worked without the lighter-different ignition then my old stove but nope. I guess that means I won't be able to use the oven.
Backyard has standing water already (NOVA) from remnants of Gordon. Will be a mess if we get a prolonged rain event.

The Mrs and I just got back from filing two 5 gallon gas cans. We also took in the outdoor umbrella and started the generator. I hope that will appease the hurricane gods. Yeah I know it’s still a few days away but I wanted give the god time to turn it out to sea.

After living in the Houston area for 34 plus years prior to retiring/moving in 2015 IMO you can’t be too early for preparing. People get crazy real quick when a hurricane gets close and especially after landfall. Better safe than sorry. Good luck and be safe.

I lost power this am . I am not ready to lose power for days. Very frustrating for even 3 hours. It is that internet thing. Serious withdrawal symptoms.
I need to get a crack up radio at least. My stove is gas and I have a spark lighter. I thought it worked without the lighter-different ignition then my old stove but nope. I guess that means I won't be able to use the oven.
Backyard has standing water already (NOVA) from remnants of Gordon. Will be a mess if we get a prolonged rain event.

Some years ago I bought a big generator and had an inlet wired... I get antsy without power

Some lessons from Hurricane Irma:

• the National Hurricane Center (NHC) eye path, time-of-arrival, and intensity predictions were accurate in general

• however, the NHC predictions were inaccurate in particular. Unfortunately, for hurricane damage the details matter because wind speeds fall off rapidly with increasing distance from the eye. Also, a storm that lingers rather than departing an area rapidly can drop a huge amount of rain.

• the most widely reproduced NHC map shows the predicted path of the eye. For Hurricane Irma, this map caused a huge amount of unnecessary panic as some Floridians desperately tried to stay out of the predicted eye path by driving madly all over the peninsula. My favorite map is the ‘spaghetti diagram’ showing the results of the various computer simulation runs with no attempt made to aggregate them into a single predicted eye path.

• after successfully sheltering-in-place through a low Category 1 storm, I would debate trying to shelter-in-place through a Cat 2 or higher storm. Low Cat 1 was plenty-intense for me, thanks! :hide:

BTW: GEOS-East is now live. This satellite provides excellent views of storm activity in the Atlantic.

Last edited:
My stove is gas and I have a spark lighter. I thought it worked without the lighter-different ignition then my old stove but nope. I guess that means I won't be able to use the oven.

Can't you light it with a match? It's been many years since we had gas, but, as long as the gas flowed, we could just use a match.

Can't you light it with a match? It's been many years since we had gas, but, as long as the gas flowed, we could just use a match.
I meant one of those charcoal lighter wand things-which I do have. I got my hot water and a bacon and eggs b'fast. So I will be able to cook from the freezer for a couple of days. I am inland (and further North)from the storms . I just whined about a small problem when I know a lot of people are going to have a bigger one. There are several storms in a row out there-could be a rough month.

Looks very grim.

Fran '96 and Floyd '99 damaged NC significantly. This forecast is bringing back bad memories.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_grap...ind+png/145023_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Latest forecast track. Carolinas be on guard! :hide: They discuss chance that it could stall after landfall. That would not be good.

A stall could be catastrophic. NC is still recovering from Matthew. Matt who? A tropical storm in 2016 that got little national attention except for a short time. Miles of roads washed out, and Princeville (the whole town) flooded again. Disaster funds were diverted to other problems in the country (Harvey and Irma) and only now are some victims getting those funds to do things like buy out homes or raise them. Another flood now would be seriously bad.

I’m in PA just west of Philly. We’ve been hit by two storms in recent years. I’m glad my Generac whole house generator was just serviced! Our ground is already saturated with recent rains, so this could be interesting.

I’m in PA just west of Philly. We’ve been hit by two storms in recent years. I’m glad my Generac whole house generator was just serviced! Our ground is already saturated with recent rains, so this could be interesting.

We are close by, just north of Philly. Unfortunately we are away for a few days visiting the ADK region, planning to get home late Wednesday. If there is need for storm preparations we probably won’t have much time to get it done.

From the current landfall forecast it looks like the biggest issue will be rain, not wind. As long as we keep power we will be fine. But if we lose power there’s a chance we will have to bail the sump hole in the basement to keep the basement dry. We did that when Sandy hit.

We are close by, just north of Philly. Unfortunately we are away for a few days visiting the ADK region, planning to get home late Wednesday. If there is need for storm preparations we probably won’t have much time to get it done.

From the current landfall forecast it looks like the biggest issue will be rain, not wind. As long as we keep power we will be fine. But if we lose power there’s a chance we will have to bail the sump hole in the basement to keep the basement dry. We did that when Sandy hit.

We have two sump pumps, one with a battery backup. A gasoline generator saved us during the last two big storms. Now with a whole house natural gas generator we’re more comfortable in case of a prolonged outage. I hated storing gasoline before. It saved us once when we were in Florida and my DFIL was here by himself.

ARRRGH, I95 south is going to be dicy Friday evening!!! I need to get to Brunswick !!!!!!!!! GUess i might be taking a more westly route..........

Going to use the I95 exit guide with live traffic as we leave ~ 4 from Md....

Back
Top Bottom