Hybrid Lust: 2007 Camry

Some folks seem unfamiliar with the costs and complications of creating and destroying (or 'recycling') lots of large batteries...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Some folks seem unfamiliar with the costs and complications of creating and destroying (or 'recycling') lots of large batteries...

Good point. Heard a brief piece on the radio about the battery replacement issue from that POV and from a ownership cost standpoint. Apparently it is very expensive and something most owners don't factor in until presented with the estimate.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

Valid point. It's pretty much speculation comparing that with the fact that gasoline consumption is cut by 70% and emissions even more.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

True. Other folks think that the lifespan of a Hummer is "over 300,000" miles. :LOL: :LOL:

Well, if you tow it behind a plow it can easily cross 500,000... :LOL:

Although I wouldnt mind a 300,000 mile hummer myself...

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Time will tell, and the battery is warranted for 8 years, if I recall. My guess is that 5 years from now the market for 06 hybrids will be very weak with rapid technology advances, etc.

I've kept most of my vehicles 10-11 years so depreciation has not been an issue. But my current job is the first one I have ever had with more than a 6 mile commute so it seems a good fit; may get "better," alas, if oil becomes scarce for a while.

imagine buying a used hybrid? that is like buying a used car knowing it will need a transmission ..the batteries cost about the same and are a given...ooh yeah one thing no one mentioned is your on your own disposing of those batteries which are not the same as regular lead acid...its a big buck disposal fee and finding a company certified for those batteries is very difficult

mathjak107 said:
ooh yeah one thing no one mentioned is your on your own disposing of those batteries which are not the same as regular lead acid...its a big buck disposal fee and finding a company certified for those batteries is very difficult

Toyota recycles their batteries for $200.

Replacing the Toyota battery pack is $3000. The batteries would have to be depreciated over ~10 years when purchasing a used hybrid.

Also, Toyota hasn't replaced any batteries (except for accidents) for any hybrids sold since 2000.

mathjak107 said:
imagine buying a used hybrid?  that is like buying a used car knowing it will need a transmission ..the batteries cost about the same and are a given...ooh yeah one thing no one mentioned is your on your own disposing of those batteries which are not the same as regular lead acid...its a big buck disposal fee and finding a company certified for those batteries is very difficult
I'd buy a used hybrid.

If the batteries are near their end of life, then the car is worth less. That's pretty straightforward.

Disposal fees won't last long. After people start throwing their batteries by the side of the road, governments will learn to make the fees small enough to encourage responsibility. Or the new batteries will be discounted for the return of the old batteries.

How sure are you those are all lead-acid batteries? I thought companies were using NiMH...

Back
Top Bottom