Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For people with allergies to pets, there's a product out there called Allerpet/D (/C for carts) that worked really well for me. I used to own and bred Shar Peis (had horse coat and brush coat) and I'm allergic to cats and dogs. Shar pei's don't need their hair cut, but blow their coat twice a year and they're eyelash length. Dander is the big problem and I found bathing and towel drying, then working in the Allerpet when they were still lightly wet worked best. I found it a small price to pay in exchange for having a pet. I was able to go about a month before bathing/reapplying the Allerpet again and I was the person that did all the bathing and grooming. I can also tell you I do noticeable better at a friend's house that starting using a Roomba on the carpeting that has cats...more frequent vacuuming seems to help.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have allergies to dogs and cats. I have absolutely no problems with our YORKIE. Now if she has been out rolling in the grass, that might be a different story.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Poodles (and I suspect bichons and Portuguese water dogs) carry two genes for the curly, non-shedding coat. It's a dominant gene, so a first generation cross (i.e. one with a purebred parent) will have a curly or wavy, non-shedding coat. Subsequent generations don't have that guarantee. A puppy from two labradoodles might or might not have a non shedding coat. This coat quality, while delightful for household tidiness, has nothing to do with allergies.
What exactly triggers the allergic reactions that people have?
Is it the same trigger in dogs as in cats? I have an allergic reaction to every cat, but not dogs.
Some people are allergic to some dogs, but not hypoallergenic ones (1st generation).
Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #24

DW is allergic to DS's pet rats. She even gets little raised red bumps if they walk over her. She takes allergy tablets while we're visiting him. She doesn't seem to be allergic to dogs or cats. We visit her half-brother's house with 7 huskies and a cat, fur all over the place, without any problem that I've noticed.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Differnt people have allergies to different things, but, yes, cats and rodents are usually a lot more allergenic than dogs. I had a vet who had to be really careful to scrub her hands and arms after touching a cat and before touching her face despite daily antihistamines pills. I start to scratch when I think about cats. Zoos frequently have trouble maintaining employees who can work with the exotic hoofed animals like gazelles, too, so be grateful you don't have a heard of antelopes living in your back yard.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #26

This is enlightening. Different animals have different proteins, and humans have varying levels of sensitivity to specific proteins in the dander.
Pet Dander - American Lung Association
Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

consider and Airedale if one becomes available. They're great companions and they'll make you and everyone they encounter smile.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #28

I found additional information last evening. Surprising how little I knew about the subject.

Quote:
"Hypoallergenic pets" are breeds of pet animals (e.g., some breeds of dogs) that are less likely to trigger allergic reactions in people who are sensitized to the pet species (e.g., in people generally allergic to dogs).
Hypoallergenic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hypoallergenic is not a scientific definition, but is used to define products that are safer for most people to use.

So, even if a breed is known to be safer for most, there are poor souls who could be severely affected by the proteins shed by a particular animal.