I don't want a smartphone!!

I've never *had* to do something by smart phone that I should've been able to do another way.

Actually there are some things that can only be done with a smartphone or only smartphones with NFC.

Last quarter Chase Freedom credit card offered 5% rewards with Chase Pay, Android Pay (now Google Pay), Samsung Pay, and Apple Pay. This was in addition to the gas stations and internet/cable/phone services.

Chase Pay works on any smartphone.

Samsung Pay only on Samsung smartphones.

Apple Pay only on iPhones 6+.

Android Pay only on smartphones with NFC.

I was only able to take advantage of the Chase Pay because my cheap smartphone did not have NFC.

RunningBum, you are right. I let the response I got initially from the charity bug me..as a fairly substantial donor (as least to my mind) to the charity I felt disrespected. If that continues to happen I will not give to this charity any more. I am not going to get a smartphone at this time because I personally don't need one. I just started this thread to see if others had similar experiences. Obviously most people on this Forum have smartphones and like them. I will move on....
Kind of a weird reason to punish the people whom that charity helps. With respect, maybe you might think of what's more important to you.. [emoji258][emoji258]

Last edited:
I hate the smart phone. I'm tired of seeing everyone with their face pasted to their tiny little screen, ignoring the world that is happening around them. I've never been in a restaurant in the past 3 years where there wasn't a whole table of family, every member with their face in their phone and oblivious to those around them.

I think the problem with smart phones is that they are addictive. People CAN'T put them down. With my own grand kids I've tested this theory. When they are completely ignoring me because the dam phone has their attention, I continue what I am saying, and in the same voice I tell them I'll give them a hundred dollars if they will tell me their name. Just like that, "I'll give you a hundred dollars if you tell me your name." Then continue with the context of what I had been talking about. I've never had to pay the C-note.
I block my router soon as they all come to visit. The adults know how to access but not the kids. Instead, we play croquet, climb trees, walk the dogs, shoot the pellet guns, ride the mini bike, etc. But if there's wifi, all that is totally ignored and they sit there like zombies.
How many accidents because of smart phones and driving? Nope. I've lived this long just fine engaged in life instead of my phone. I'll have none of it!

I saw a young guy walking through the park today, staring at his phone. I saw him later -- still staring at his phone. It was a beautiful day, gorgeous and 72, and he's got his head in his phone.

DW and I were at a park a while back. As we sat at a picnic table I looked around. I swear it was like a scene out of Walking Dead. Everyone just shuffling around like zombies without a clue. We were there to enjoy the fall colors on the trees. I doubt even one of them noticed the trees at all.

Without a smartphone, how do you securely communicate with child who is traveling the world?
Without a smartphone, how do you facetime with children and grandchildren?
Without a smartphone, how do you share puppy pictures with others?

Looking at the t-mobile coverage map there does not appear to be any coverage in the mountains of North Carolina where we spend our summers. So far the only coverage we have found there is Verizon and even that is spotty sometimes. Friends who visit us with other phones like AT&T, Sprint (and I think one had T-Mobile) could not get any cell coverage at our mountain cabin. We get pretty good reception with our Verizon flip cellphones in our mountain cabin.

i spend a lot of time in the north Carolina and va mountains, every year. Verison is the only signal anyone gets up there. i had an LG phone that picked up verison, but not good at all. i changed phones to a Samsung s6 and get perfect signal.

Actually there are some things that can only be done with a smartphone or only smartphones with NFC.

Last quarter Chase Freedom credit card offered 5% rewards with Chase Pay, Android Pay (now Google Pay), Samsung Pay, and Apple Pay. This was in addition to the gas stations and internet/cable/phone services.

Chase Pay works on any smartphone.

Samsung Pay only on Samsung smartphones.

Apple Pay only on iPhones 6+.

Android Pay only on smartphones with NFC.

I was only able to take advantage of the Chase Pay because my cheap smartphone did not have NFC.
But did you have to use Chase Pay? You could pay another way, right? You're talking about a method of doing something. Unless you went into a store to buy something, and they say they only accept a payment method you can do with a smart phone, that's not what I'm talking about.

What I would suggest (and we have done) is shop around and buy an unlocked Motorola Moto (E4, G4 or whatever) and then use Page Plus (runs Verizon network)... unlimited talk & text and 2GB of data for $27/month with auto refill.

Other than the initial cost of the phones it would only be $2/month more than you pay now. DS has Page Plus and is happy with them.

I find having a smart phone on hand to look up addresses or phone number while I'm away from home, directions, prices ot things I'm planning to buy, etc.

But did you have to use Chase Pay? You could pay another way, right? You're talking about a method of doing something. Unless you went into a store to buy something, and they say they only accept a payment method you can do with a smart phone, that's not what I'm talking about.

Not all stores take all payments. That is what i am trying to say.

We sometimes shop at Whole Foods. They don't take Chase Pay but do take Apple Pay and possibly Google Pay. I couldn't find a gas station that sold Whole Foods gift cards. I missed out on the 5% rewards Q1.

Recently eBay had $15 off $75 and 20% specials. One catch -- only on their app e.g. smarthphone only.

Last edited:
Kind of a weird reason to punish the people whom that charity helps. With respect, maybe you might think of what's more important to you.. [emoji258][emoji258]

It goes both ways.
If that charity wants as much money as they can get, then they need to "accommodate" as many donors as possible.

It strikes me as a bit elitist that they would do something that is only possible with a smartphone. What was the charity thinking?

There are plenty of charities pulling at OP's purse strings, I am sure their money can be put to good elsewhere.

I've got a dumb phone. It's fine for me. I don't need a smartphone. I make phone calls, I text, I take some pictures. That's about it. People seem surprised when they find out I don't have a smartphone (and don't even carry my dumb phone most of the time). I haven't been socially excluded from anything yet, but I can tell people think I'm a little backwards or weird (which I am, and I'm fine with that).

I don't need a smartphone. I don't need to be plugged in to the internet all the time. I've got a desktop PC to connect to the internet, if I need that. I don't need to walk around tethered to Facebook or google or whatever.

I saw a young guy walking through the park today, staring at his phone. I saw him later -- still staring at his phone. It was a beautiful day, gorgeous and 72, and he's got his head in his phone. Whatever. I think there's something addictive about them. I think (know) there are "attention engineers" who specifically design apps to give you little dopamine hits that keep you coming back for more.

Anyhow, yes I have a dumbphone, and it's all I need, thank you very much.

OP here, Eddie you and I think much alike. I think many of our friends/family think we cannot afford a smart phone (we are pretty frugal in many ways, that's how we could retire early 50s). I am glad they think we don't have much money.

Without a smartphone, how do you securely communicate with child who is traveling the world?

OP here. I can do all of that on my MacBook/Ipad. Heck, I can even call people on my flip phone. Sometimes I even visit my family in person!

Not all stores take all payments. That is what i am trying to say.

And that's totally different from the point the OP was making that they were told there was no way for them to attend the event at all without the smartphone. My response was that this was the only instance I've ever heard of that you were absolutely required to have a smart phone to get in or buy something, with no alternative. I'm not talking about whether you can take advantage of a discount or kick back or convenience with a smart phone if you can still pay by some other method. I'm talking about having no other options.

I am childfree, petfree......and SmartphoneFree! :dance::D

And for everyone's viewing pleasure, here is one of many YouTube videos about the perils of texting while walking (and driving).

One thing to note about those "dumb" phones.

Motorola flip phone still works on the Verizon network.
Not sure for how long.

My experience with T-mobile is a different story.
T-mobile revamped their network here in central NJ.
They upgraded their network from U1900 to LTE.
Since I was a pre-paid customer I did not get notification of it.
A LG 450 flip phone that I bought in 2016 is no longer supported.
The only reason I bought the LG450 was because I was having problems with calls on my old Nokia cake phone.
I have problems with people not hearing me when I answer a call or when I call them.
Texts seem to still work.
So in reality, it wasn't that the phone or the SIM went bad.
It was that T-mobile left their legacy customers behind.
Being pre-paid, I had no way of knowing.

The only flip phone that would work here in central NJ with T-mobile is the Alcatel GO FLIP which is just as pricey as a cheap smartphone. And it really isn't a flip phone. It is bigger and essentially has smartphone 2.5" touchscreen on the top flip.

Last edited:
And that's totally different from the point the OP was making that they were told there was no way for them to attend the event at all without the smartphone. My response was that this was the only instance I've ever heard of that you were absolutely required to have a smart phone to get in or buy something, with no alternative. I'm not talking about whether you can take advantage of a discount or kick back or convenience with a smart phone if you can still pay by some other method. I'm talking about having no other options.

There was no other method if I wanted the discount.
Why should I be "punished" as the OP was just because I did not have a smartphone?
That is the point.
Isn't my money good enough? Not if I didn't have the eBay app apparently.

Article in WSJ today: "The Ultra-Cheap Phones Even iPhone Users Will Crave
Flip phones and candy bars are back, with low prices, great battery life and some modern conveniences"

"HMD’s $60 Nokia 3310 looks like the original, wildly popular candy-bar phone, and lasts up to a month on a charge, but now offers quick access to Facebook and Twitter . Plus Snake, of course."

"Nokia 8110, .... which launches in Europe in May for less than $100, keeps the slider look and dayslong battery life, but offers modern functionality, such as Google Maps and an app store."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ultra-cheap-phones-even-iphone-users-will-crave-1523978904

There was no other method if I wanted the discount.
Why should I be "punished" as the OP was just because I did not have a smartphone?
That is the point.
Isn't my money good enough? Not if I didn't have the eBay app apparently.

OK, you think not getting a small discount is the same as not be allowed entrance to an event. I think they are nowhere the same.

We're done. At least I am.

OP here. I can do all of that on my MacBook/Ipad. Heck, I can even call people on my flip phone. Sometimes I even visit my family in person!

One way to look at smart phones is as extensions of your computers or in the case of the iPad, a miniaturized iPad, but one that will always have connectivity so that you don't need wifi.

A lot of people who use smart phones use them for functions other than voice or texts, though iMessage in iPhones is more than texting as you can use it to communicate with people around the world without paying international texting charges as long as they have an Apple product as well.

You can also use the hotspot or tethering functionality on a smart phone to serve as a Wifi connection for your MacBook or iPad if you happen to be away from home and you don't have access to wifi.

Even if you have public wifi like at a Starbucks, you'd have a more secure connection using your smart phone as a hotspot.

My mother uses an iPhone and she doesn't use any of the smart phone features, other than using the Phone app. to delete voice mails or remove old calls in the call log.

But she didn't like carrying a simple phone because they were cheap and her friends had iPhones. She always uses the speakerphone and she hears better this way than using her landline phone.

One thing about sound quality, many smart phones will support wifi calling, where you can boost the sound quality of the voice calls when your smart phone is connected to the Wifi network. But not all smart phones have wifi calling so that's something to look for.

As for people constantly staring at phones at restaurants, a lot of that is from social media so if you install and log into Facebook or Twitter and turn on notifications, the phone will constantly pop up updates and people have said that that may not be a good thing for brains, to be kind of Pavolovian about needing to always look at updates as soon as they appear.

I have an android tablet and a laptop. Both are much too large to be carrying around Walmart or use while driving. Besides, when I want to check those things you mentioned, I don't want to do them other than in the comfort of my home anyways. No one needs to do any of the things you mention in public. Folks didn't want to see the wallet photos, they sure as heck don't want you to share digital ones either.

Article in WSJ today: "The Ultra-Cheap Phones Even iPhone Users Will Crave
Flip phones and candy bars are back, with low prices, great battery life and some modern conveniences"

"HMD’s $60 Nokia 3310 looks like the original, wildly popular candy-bar phone, and lasts up to a month on a charge, but now offers quick access to Facebook and Twitter . Plus Snake, of course."

"Nokia 8110, .... which launches in Europe in May for less than $100, keeps the slider look and dayslong battery life, but offers modern functionality, such as Google Maps and an app store."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ultra-cheap-phones-even-iphone-users-will-crave-1523978904

OP here, i just knew if I waited long enough my old dumb phone would become trendy and hip again!

It's like addictive laxatives!!
Keeps life moving along .....

OP here, VINDICATION! I am hearing that the charity discussed in my original post that invited its donors to donor appreciation events for which you had to have a smartphone is now realizing it made a mistake. I hear that the charity's phone has been ringing off the hook from people like me who want to come to the event but don't own a smartphone. Many of these people are hopping mad. Now the charity has abandoned the smartphone tickets, has gone to paper tickets and is contacting all their donors to inform them. I expect this is the first and last time this particular charity will ever have events with entry only by smartphone.

Last edited:
Harllee, I am so glad for you. It's always good to hear when the masses can overcome a bad decision made by others to right a wrong.

Back
Top Bottom