Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
BTW..the email program I'm using is called Spylheed (odd name, but meets my needs, with built-in message rules and spam filter) in case you are curious.

Sylpheed - lightweight and user-friendly e-mail client
Interesting you found that. I haven't thought about sylpheed in years. I used it many years ago ( late 90's ) on linux. It was a japanese open source project. I don't think they had a windows version back then.
__________________

__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Interesting you found that. I haven't thought about sylpheed in years. I used it many years ago ( late 90's ) on linux. It was a japanese open source project. I don't think they had a windows version back then.
There definitely is a japanese version. So far, I like it. I tested other email programs but either they didn't do enough or were difficult to set up or did too much. Hopefull, this will work for me. The main thing, hopefull it doesn't clobber Chrome like Outlook Express did to me.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,432
That's interesting. I use Outlook Express and Chrome and have not had any problems. But on Windows 7.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That's interesting. I use Outlook Express and Chrome and have not had any problems. But on Windows 7.
For me, it seems that some virus emails (like the FedEx Scam) when retrieved by Outlook Express causes problems with Chrome for me (I am still on XP). When I migrated to a newer PC recently, when I installed Chrome, then tried Outlook Express, even on the newer PC, Chrome got jazzed up again. I got rid of the FedEX Scam email from the server, but perhaps another virus email from the server got retrieved.

But when I used the Sylpheed email, things are cooking just fine . I was looking closer at Sylpheed. It seems to treat even html as text initially, and provides an option through a button to view as html. I guess as one measure of safety in against those viruses which activate upon preview.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Nothing wrong with XP, actually one M$ better attempts at an OS. opening emails in HTML is part of the problem, virus exploits the HTML to do its thing. Using text preview is a way around it. I've gotten to where I never even use email clients anymore, I just use the web based interface for my email service. makes it available where ever your at, don't have worry about backing up, just download a copy of anything important. It opens as plain text and then you can view the email as HTML if needed. They also have very good builtin antivirus that gets rid of most stuff before it gets to your inbox.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
I like the smooth interface of Outlook. But the HTML virus thing is just a pain. I thought about switching to web based, but subscribing to certain groups, I like the idea to use an email client, define rules and have the emails placed in individual folders for me as I retrieve them.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Well, it looks like there's now (might not be new) DHL Scam going on too as I just received an email with the heading "Postal Service" and the body talks about a DHL package and to click on a link to get the info.

A good think my Syplheed email program treats the email as text only for prescreening. Also, now I marked that email as junk to teach the spam filter for the future
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Well, it looks like there's now (might not be new) DHL Scam going on too as I just received an email with the heading "Postal Service" and the body talks about a DHL package and to click on a link to get the info.

A good think my Syplheed email program treats the email as text only for prescreening. Also, now I marked that email as junk to teach the spam filter for the future
Is this a private domain, or something public, like Hotmail?

Broad-based scams like DHL and Fedex shouldn't go through the email server and get to your account...
Server anti-spam process should be catching this.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Is this a private domain, or something public, like Hotmail?

Broad-based scams like DHL and Fedex shouldn't go through the email server and get to your account...
Server anti-spam process should be catching this.
From what I see, the domain is from "post-grad.com"

Here's the entire email in text form in case you are curious (the mail has a subject of "Postal Service":

Quote:
If the links are not working, please move message to "Inbox" folder.

DHL PACK STATION
DHL Ship Shipment Notification


On April 28, 2013 a shipment label was printed for delivery.
The shipment number of this package is 79869926.

To get additional info about this shipment use any of these options:


1) Click the following URL in your browser:
Get Shipment Info


2) Enter the shipment number on tracking page:
Tracking Page


For further assistance, please call DHL Customer Service.
For International Customer Service, please use official DHL site.

Disclaimer:

This message was created by DHL Ship, a product of DHL, at the request
of the sender. No authentication of email address has been performed.
Deutsche Post DHL 2013 DHL International GmbH. All rights reserved.
A description of the virus from the real DHL:

http://www.dhl-usa.com/en/about_us/new_virus.html
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
From what I see, the domain is from "post-grad.com"

Here's the entire email in text form in case you are curious (the mail has a subject of "Postal Service":



A description of the virus from the real DHL:

DHL | New Virus Message | English
I meant your domain. Why is your domain email not stripping off the virus? Am aware of the other info.
Thanks.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I meant your domain. Why is your domain email not stripping off the virus? Am aware of the other info.
Thanks.
My domain is yahoo.com.

I'm not doubting you as you might see something I don't, but I don't understand why you expect that the domain should automatically strip off the virus as it seems the scams hit enough for DHL to put out a warning notice of their own.

Anyhow, as long as my email intercepts the scam and it doesn't mess up my pc, I 'm good with it.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I meant your domain. Why is your domain email not stripping off the virus? Am aware of the other info.
Thanks.
Some do a better job than others, some don't do it at all and leave it to the subscriber to provide their own solutions. Some have it but don't tell the subscriber they have to enable it on the server side.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My domain is yahoo.com.

I'm not doubting you as you might see something I don't, but I don't understand why you expect that the domain should automatically strip off the virus as it seems the scams hit enough for DHL to put out a warning notice of their own.

Anyhow, as long as my email intercepts the scam and it doesn't mess up my pc, I 'm good with it.
I understand your email situation much better now. You don't like the web interface. I don't either. It just changed this past weekend, so maybe it is a little improved. I use the yahoo web interface on my PC, and it picks up almost all spam now. I look at the spam box once a week, and delete it all.

Our approaches are different with Yahoo. I also use Outlook, Gmail, Comcast, and various company email servers.

Don't you have to pay to use Yahoo pop email? Maybe that is a restriction from long ago.

Good luck with your email. I can empathize.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I understand your email situation much better now. You don't like the web interface. I don't either. It just changed this past weekend, so maybe it is a little improved. I use the yahoo web interface on my PC, and it picks up almost all spam now. I look at the spam box once a week, and delete it all.

Our approaches are different with Yahoo. I also use Outlook, Gmail, Comcast, and various company email servers.

Don't you have to pay to use Yahoo pop email? Maybe that is a restriction from long ago.

Good luck with your email. I can empathize.
I only go with the web interface for email when I need a quick look at current emails. But I much prefer using an email program with a good spam filter. The web interfaces seem clunky to me. No, there is no charge. I just set my pop settings on my email program and I'm good.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.