Need new email - no 2FA and works with outlook

Any suggestions? My internet provider is discontinuing email. I have already tried and hated yahoo, protonmail and gmail.

Must work with outlook as I leave email open all day and don't read online.

Very disappointed in the provider as email was the only good thing I have there. Near zero spam, no ads, and no messing around with 2FA and signing in every 15 minutes. I use email quite heavily like any old fart. :) I guess on the bright side I can dump the provider later as they are not much aside from my unicorn email address.

Will be a huge pain to change everything over as it is.

We also gave up on Yahoo and on G-Mail when they clamped down on "less secure apps". We alo use Outlook and migrated over to Enom mail ($ but very inexpensive). Create your own domain and add as many @XYZ.ABC email addresses as needed.

https://cp.enom.com/email/default.aspx

How does this work? Don't you need to have an actual functional web site, i.e. www.streetname.net, to make this work?

When you "buy" a domain, the administration of the email and the website are separate.
There is no requirement to make the website.
Cheapest hosting (could be included free) often where you "buy" the domain limits a domain to a tiny size anyhow.

This conversation brings up a question. If I took my gmail address and connected it to Outlook, would I get the history or just the emails from the date I start redirecting it to Outlook. I'm actually a little intrigued about setting it up and starting from today and trying to manage my inbox better. But, if it's going to download everything, that would defeat the purpose I'd have for doing it. OTOH, if it does download everything, that may be of interest to the OP.

It will sync up and download everything.

But then if you sort your inbox by "From" or by "Received Date" you can cull out and delete a lot of junk in a hurry.

It will sync up and download everything.

But then if you sort your inbox by "From" or by "Received Date" you can cull out and delete a lot of junk in a hurry.

I guess what I could do is use my outlook address and just have my gmail forwarded to the outlook account. Forwarding shouldn't do anything but send the new emails.

Understood. So how do you receive the emails sent to: username@streetname.net? With redirects to username@ISPname.com
?

At the ISP site, under email management, you set up a mailbox for username@streetname.net with a password.

Then in some email client, you reference the ISP, and the email name: username@streetname.net and the password you gave it.

Now you can get emails in the email client on your computer.

To redirect emails I forward them to another email account address I own.
Without running my own mail server, I think ISP's do limit forwarding of emails to accounts a person controls.

Listen to Cathy. You can feed any email address into Outlook and it will not act or look any different than the Outlook you are currently using.

As of sometime this fall Google's G-Mail will NOT be compatible with older versions of Outlook. Google had originally stated that they would no longer support earlier versions of Outlook beginning in late 2022 or early 2023 (can't recall which). I'm still using OL2007 (hey...it works for me) on Win10. Now, Google is saying they will support earlier versions until sometime this fall. After the switch they will only support newer versions of Outlook starting with Outlook 2016. I switched to Enom E-Mail. Inexpensive and it works. No muss. No fuss. No drama.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/9003945?hl=en#outlook

Outlook will import your other accounts. I was inspired by this thread to try Outlook 365, create a @outlook account. You can add other accounts fairly easily.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2024-01-24 21-24-33.png
    Screenshot at 2024-01-24 21-24-33.png
    23 KB · Views: 5
If Yahoo, Gmail and Protonmail didn't work, I think you will not be satisfied with anything.

Spam comes from using your email and then the email being included in lists.

You could use your Gmail for online purchases and then have a second email that is rarely used.

Our old Yahoo email gets a lot of spam. Who cares. It goes to the spam folder. If it doesn't I flag an email as spam. I also scan through the spam folder every few days to make sure a real email wasn't flagged.

We have Yahoo, Outlook, Gmail and Protonmail. Each have a slightly different use case. Only Protonmail is paid for. I use that for more secure financial institutions.

I consolidate all email in the Yahoo Mail app. It works perfectly and I rarely log into Gmail.com or Outlook.com. Only Protonmail is not in the Yahoo Mail app.

Good luck on the hunt.

Odd thing to say since I am 100% satisfied with what I have that is going away. I will need to get some more information from the provider how this will work/when it will happen. I do have 4 email addresses currently but 3 are rarely checked and not of much value. They just protect the one I want to be contacted on. :)

Well OP in my opinion you are literally inviting hackers into your email . I haven't trusted outlook in a very long time..I'm happy Google offers 2A.

Not concerned with that. More concerned all the times 2FA has failed me at a critial moment when it was required. And it has. Kind of reminds me of when they used voice prints at w*rk. They failed so often on so many people they finally gave up. It was so annoying to be told your voice was "wrong".

This conversation brings up a question. If I took my gmail address and connected it to Outlook, would I get the history or just the emails from the date I start redirecting it to Outlook. I'm actually a little intrigued about setting it up and starting from today and trying to manage my inbox better. But, if it's going to download everything, that would defeat the purpose I'd have for doing it. OTOH, if it does download everything, that may be of interest to the OP.

What a terrible thought that I could lose my current years worth of saved emails. I have backups but . . . my folders . . . that is the point of using pop is that I have my own copies.

I'm on Outlook 2013 I think. But I have a more recent version around that isn't installed anywhere I could dig up. I won't be paying for a subscription until that one fails and then I guess I'd consider moving off. I think it must be 2016? I will have to see what I did with the product key. I'm sure I put it somewhere "safe".

I only read email on one device. I only use my phone for emergencies - it mostly lives in the car or on the counter so not necessarily near me at at given moment.

Yeah after being burned by 2 "free" email providers which disappeared I have no interest in it but seems I have no choice.

You guys are sort of scaring me bringing up stuff I had not thought of yet. . .

I really have almost no information from the provider, no dates, nothing. Ugh. I'm sure if I call they will be typical useless answers. . . but I will give it a shot on Friday. Too busy tomorrow to get stuck on hold.

I have calendar reminders going forward years too which will translate as long as I am in outlook but IDK about other stuff.

Try Mailfence. Great security, in my opinion. No 2-factor authentication.
https://mailfence.com/

I will take a look never heard of this one.

Everyone I know has gmail and none have a mail client (or that they discuss when email comes up). Most do not read emails they just text or call. IDK I guess I don't know a lot of people. Even my friend that runs a local business does not use email which I find extremely odd for a CPA. . . Says none of the clients want it so not needed. I'm not sure how many FT people she employees but several at least - not like it is 1 or 2 people doing the work.

I guess the upside is once this is over I can get new internet provider perhaps. . .

Last edited:
I use Thunderbird as an email client. It runs on Windows, Mac, Linux.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/
I've used Thunderbird for many years. Last year I sent them another donation.

Thunderbird was especially useful when I needed to locally archive all of my domain email hosted through gmail. Got everything and turned off sinking.

I use Thunderbird as an email client. It runs on Windows, Mac, Linux.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/
I also prefer using an email client like Thunderbird. I will move those emails I wish to save to a local folder, and once my local folders have been backed up, I will delete the emails from the email service. This includes emails I send out.

In the event the email service gets hacked, at most they might see a few of my recent emails sitting there, but nothing else they can peruse for personal information (financial, medical, services, orders, etc.).

Last edited:
I also prefer using an email client like Thunderbird. I will move those emails I wish to save to a local folder, and once my local folders have been backed up, I will delete the emails from the email service. This includes emails I send out.

In the event the email service gets hacked, at most they might see a few of my recent emails sitting there, but nothing else they can peruse for personal information (financial, medical, services, orders, etc.).
I have my T-bird mail set to delete the server copies of the email once it is downloaded. This is more due to laziness than to paranoia; I just don't want the hassle of manually deleting the mail copies.

I also read mail on my phone and on my Fuji tablet, but there I don't delete after reading. That way I have everything in my computer/T-bird even if I have first read it elsewhere.

As I expected ISP has no information to give me on when this conversion will take place or anything. :( So IDK how long I have until it just randomly disappears.

Any suggestions? My internet provider is discontinuing email. I have already tried and hated yahoo, protonmail and gmail.

Must work with outlook as I leave email open all day and don't read online.

Very disappointed in the provider as email was the only good thing I have there. Near zero spam, no ads, and no messing around with 2FA and signing in every 15 minutes. I use email quite heavily like any old fart. :) I guess on the bright side I can dump the provider later as they are not much aside from my unicorn email address.

Will be a huge pain to change everything over as it is.

Can you explain why you hated yahoo, protonmail, and gmail? If you use outlook as your interface I don't really understand how you could tell which service you were using after you get it set up. Understanding that might help us help you better.

I have an outlook.com email. Works well. I use outlook for a shared calendar and for tasks. I believe in my mind that Microsoft doesn't sell my data as much. I use a lot of Google services, I have a Gmail account but I try not to run my entire life through them.

Thoughts from a web hosting guy

I own a web hosting, email hosting and web design company. Basically I provide free domain based unlimited email addresses to my clients. Some even have "email only" (for which I charge $150 per year, and I try not to hassle them on space used unless they go much over a gig). That said, GMAIL can be setup in outlook. I have a gmail address I used for "backup" because it's like the most BULLETPROOF email I know besides high end solutions. You do have to go through a little process now, which is not in the least intuitive. (I actually got through it and promptly forgotten how it's done, and I'm an IT guy.)

But without reading every reply, I'm not sure if this was mentioned. Get a domain name and then a small "hosting account". Set your email up that way. This is how I do it. I have mine setup in Outlook as POP3 (so I can store and archive everything locally, and nothing disappears unless I make it disappear), then on my phone and laptop the same address is setup as iMap. This way if I delete something on phone, it's deleted from laptop. Also, I keep outlook shut down when I'm away from the desk, then if I check email on phone, delete all the junk, I won't ever receive it in outlook pop3.

There are some complexities but really not bad. You MAY be able to find cheap "email hosting" vs. "web hosting" as well, but honestly you can get a fairly decent web hosting account for $100 per year or less (domain names cost $10-$30. Do NOT do business with Network Solutions, for the love of GOD! Too much to get into, but they're a first class spreader of mediocrity and confusion, for twice the price)

I own a web hosting, email hosting and web design company. Basically I provide free domain based unlimited email addresses to my clients. Some even have "email only" (for which I charge $150 per year, and I try not to hassle them on space used unless they go much over a gig). That said, GMAIL can be setup in outlook. I have a gmail address I used for "backup" because it's like the most BULLETPROOF email I know besides high end solutions. You do have to go through a little process now, which is not in the least intuitive. (I actually got through it and promptly forgotten how it's done, and I'm an IT guy.)

But without reading every reply, I'm not sure if this was mentioned. Get a domain name and then a small "hosting account". Set your email up that way. This is how I do it. I have mine setup in Outlook as POP3 (so I can store and archive everything locally, and nothing disappears unless I make it disappear), then on my phone and laptop the same address is setup as iMap. This way if I delete something on phone, it's deleted from laptop. Also, I keep outlook shut down when I'm away from the desk, then if I check email on phone, delete all the junk, I won't ever receive it in outlook pop3.

There are some complexities but really not bad. You MAY be able to find cheap "email hosting" vs. "web hosting" as well, but honestly you can get a fairly decent web hosting account for $100 per year or less (domain names cost $10-$30. Do NOT do business with Network Solutions, for the love of GOD! Too much to get into, but they're a first class spreader of mediocrity and confusion, for twice the price)

I pay $10/month for a virtual linux server and host my own web and mail servers. Setting those up is not for the faint of heart but it does offer a lot of flexibility. I have several domains I host there so it's worth it to me. I use Ionos which used to be 1and1. Digital Ocean is about half the price. I did not find that out until I had everything working perfectly and it has not been worth switching and going through the setup again. I don't recommend taking this route unless you are comfortable enough to harden your server.

I am beyond baffled at this point.

My isp email is moving to yahoo who says they only provide imap (which I don't use). I have all my emails on my computer (via pop). I want to keep them. Importing them in some sort of weird massive hunk gets me a disaster with no folders it would seem.

Of course ISP has no support for this. . . I can't find an article that is not using outlook.com or outlook365 or some other thing I don't have. . . and they won't give me a moving date so I am not sure how long I have.

Very interesting thread. I do not find I need much sophistication-or overhead-relative to email.

But I am unsure outside of a business setting why someone would want or need to archive emails indefinitely.

I pay $10/month for a virtual linux server and host my own web and mail servers. Setting those up is not for the faint of heart but it does offer a lot of flexibility. I have several domains I host there so it's worth it to me. I use Ionos which used to be 1and1. Digital Ocean is about half the price. I did not find that out until I had everything working perfectly and it has not been worth switching and going through the setup again. I don't recommend taking this route unless you are comfortable enough to harden your server.

I went back and looked at the details. Digital Ocean would be $24/month for the same capabilities that I get for $10 at Ionos.

Why is this so hard? Technology is typically a "religious" topic and it really doesn't need to be. If OP is happy with Outlook as a client, why not just go with Microsoft's FREE outlook.com service and be done with all the "what works with what" complications.

Outlook.com uses a "Microsoft Account" (aka "MSA") and has advanced security options like MFA, password-less, etc.

Linux gonna Linux and whatever - for OP, we should just keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom