Need new email - no 2FA and works with outlook

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any suggestions? My internet provider is discontinuing email. I have already tried and hated yahoo, protonmail and gmail.

Must work with outlook as I leave email open all day and don't read online.

Very disappointed in the provider as email was the only good thing I have there. Near zero spam, no ads, and no messing around with 2FA and signing in every 15 minutes. I use email quite heavily like any old fart. :) I guess on the bright side I can dump the provider later as they are not much aside from my unicorn email address.

Will be a huge pain to change everything over as it is.

Last edited:
Is your E-Mail domain a vanity domain that you own? I have my own domain that I registered in the late 80s before anyone even knew what it was. I was working as a systems administrator at the time and thought it would be cool to have. Been using it ever since then.

I host my domain at 1and1 (one of the largest hosting companies) and fork copies of all incoming E-Mail to Yahoo and Gmail. I use Yahoo for the user interface and Gmail for search. I can also use a local client but haven't bothered for years.

If you want a reliable, resilient hosting provider you can take a look at them here. They have full-blown Exchange support and will host your mailbox or you should be able to use a pop/imap type protocol to send and receive locally to your Outlook.

I have been using Thunderbird for years. https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ I have three email Ids set up. One at our ISP with a private domain that I own (oldshooter@privatedomain.net) and two gmail IDs. IIRC I have it set up to check for inbound emails every five minutes but there is a "Check Now" button too.

I know you said you hate Gmail, but when you use it with a pop/imap client such as the desktop version of Outlook it's indistinguishable from any other email server. 2FA is not used in this scenario.

If you don't want to try gmail again, have you thought about outlook.com? Again, just use it as a server and retrieve your mail every 5 minutes using the desktop client version of Outlook. It will look the same as your ISP's email, except you'll use something like badatmath@outlook.com as your address.

No I used the internet provider. I think it isn't common and I use pop and outlook so I have it on my computer which is where I want everything so I have backups. I do back it up myself and leave it up all day to get my calendar reminders and what not.

The internet provider webmail is horrible can't change the font size and logs you out constantly so very afraid but I will take a look at the above mentioned items. I can't even function on the web mail version to read one newsletter it is really that bad so very afraid.

It will look the same as your ISP's email, except you'll use something like badatmath@outlook.com as your address.

No I used the internet provider. I think it isn't common and I use pop and outlook so I have it on my computer which is where I want everything so I have backups. I do back it up myself and leave it up all day to get my calendar reminders and what not.

The internet provider webmail is horrible can't change the font size and logs you out constantly so very afraid but I will take a look at the above mentioned items. I can't even function on the web mail version to read one newsletter it is really that bad so very afraid.

Listen to Cathy. You can feed any email address into Outlook and it will not act or look any different than the Outlook you are currently using.

Cathy63 has the right solution for doing email on your PC. You've already got a Gmail address so create an email account in Outlook and use your Gmail credentials.

Do you read email on more than one device? A phone and/or tablet?

Another vote for Thunderbird. You can set up Gmail or Yahoo with no issues.

I'm not understanding why people are suggesting Thunderbird when the OP has said "must work with Outlook."

Some people just don't listen. Outlook sucks.

Outlook may indeed suck but if that’s what you’re used to and it does what you need, there is very little to be gained by switching to a different platform.

Is your E-Mail domain a vanity domain that you own? I have my own domain that I registered in the late 80s before anyone even knew what it was. I was working as a systems administrator at the time and thought it would be cool to have. Been using it ever since then.

I host my domain at 1and1 (one of the largest hosting companies) and fork copies of all incoming E-Mail to Yahoo and Gmail. I use Yahoo for the user interface and Gmail for search. I can also use a local client but haven't bothered for years.

If you want a reliable, resilient hosting provider you can take a look at them here. They have full-blown Exchange support and will host your mailbox or you should be able to use a pop/imap type protocol to send and receive locally to your Outlook.

Do they allow blind forwarding, and/or unlimited aliases? I create new aliases at my vanity domain all the time, so I can see who sold/gave away my email address, and create a rule to shut that address down if I want. I know blind forwarding can be problematic bc of dictionary attacks, but tbh I usually create the new alias fairly quickly, but if I feel like this is going to be a one-time transaction I like that I don't even have to bother.

No I used the internet provider. I think it isn't common and I use pop and outlook so I have it on my computer which is where I want everything...

Why do you think this isn't common? People, including me, do it all the time. I have the desktop installed version of Outlook and I download email from an ISP and from gmail.com using POP or IMAP and store it on the local drive. I've had my ISP roadrunner email address since the mid-90s and I've been using gmail for about 20 years now, and I do not use the web interface for either account.

If Yahoo, Gmail and Protonmail didn't work, I think you will not be satisfied with anything.

Spam comes from using your email and then the email being included in lists.

You could use your Gmail for online purchases and then have a second email that is rarely used.

Our old Yahoo email gets a lot of spam. Who cares. It goes to the spam folder. If it doesn't I flag an email as spam. I also scan through the spam folder every few days to make sure a real email wasn't flagged.

We have Yahoo, Outlook, Gmail and Protonmail. Each have a slightly different use case. Only Protonmail is paid for. I use that for more secure financial institutions.

I consolidate all email in the Yahoo Mail app. It works perfectly and I rarely log into Gmail.com or Outlook.com. Only Protonmail is not in the Yahoo Mail app.

Good luck on the hunt.

A regret I have is using the email of my ISP as my main email. The regret is if I ever decide to change my ISP, the email account is tied to so many online accounts. A lot of sites use the email as the user ID. Which I had used something more generic (should have stuck with AOL :LOL:) as my email rather than from my ISP.

Well OP in my opinion you are literally inviting hackers into your email . I haven't trusted outlook in a very long time..I'm happy Google offers 2A.

A regret I have is using the email of my ISP as my main email. The regret is if I ever decide to change my ISP, the email account is tied to so many online accounts. A lot of sites use the email as the user ID.

Yes, this is why I like using my gmail address because it's likely going to survive me. I've got at least a half dozen others and the ability to create hundreds more.

Which I had used something more generic (should have stuck with AOL :LOL:) as my email rather than from my ISP.

Don't laugh, I still use my AOL email address from 1995 as my "junk" email address.

Well OP in my opinion you are literally inviting hackers into your email . I haven't trusted outlook in a very long time..I'm happy Google offers 2A.

Pretty sure Outlook offers 2FA.

A regret I have is using the email of my ISP as my main email. The regret is if I ever decide to change my ISP, the email account is tied to so many online accounts. A lot of sites use the email as the user ID. Which I had used something more generic (should have stuck with AOL :LOL:) as my email rather than from my ISP.

Just do it and free yourself !!

I switch ISP's every few years so I can get a reasonable rate of $20->$25 per month for ~75->300 mps internet.

Not being tied to the ISP makes it easy.

Better yet, register your own domain name. Ours is named after the street we're on: "oldshooter@streetname.net" so we can move easily from ISP to ISP and we can have multiple email addresses automatically routed to us. I think we pay $25/year for our domain registration.

Better yet, register your own domain name. Ours is named after the street we're on: "oldshooter@streetname.net" so we can move easily from ISP to ISP and we can have multiple email addresses automatically routed to us. I think we pay $25/year for our domain registration.

How does this work? Don't you need to have an actual functional web site, i.e. www.streetname.net, to make this work?

Note some ISP's (Xfinity/Comcast being one of them) allow you to keep using your email addresses after you disconnect service.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only

This conversation brings up a question. If I took my gmail address and connected it to Outlook, would I get the history or just the emails from the date I start redirecting it to Outlook. I'm actually a little intrigued about setting it up and starting from today and trying to manage my inbox better. But, if it's going to download everything, that would defeat the purpose I'd have for doing it. OTOH, if it does download everything, that may be of interest to the OP.

Back
Top Bottom