I need help with roofing decision

Though I've probably seen "rock faced steel shakes," frankly I wasn't aware there was such a thing (when I hear metal roof, I think of standing seam metal). They come in all sorts of styles and colors, but I looked at one manufacturers site and (not that it matters) I think they look very, very nice. In case anyone else wonders what the OP is talking about...

Attachments

• SteelRock_Shake(lg).jpg
    SteelRock_Shake(lg).jpg
    627 KB · Views: 1
  • SteelRock_Tile(lg).jpg
    SteelRock_Tile(lg).jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Midpac,

As you were in the business, do you have an opinion about the "acrylic resin"
adhesive that is used to adhere the mineral surfacing to the metal panels? [mentioned in a test report on the website under technical]
I am not a materials science or application guy, and really have no idea if this material combination is good or bad in this application.

Some building materials take awhile to fail, and my gut is saying that this may be the weak link, although it would likely only be cosmetic, as the galv-alum coated steel would last a good while by itself.

[sorry if this is OT]

Midpac,

As you were in the business, do you have an opinion about the "acrylic resin"
adhesive that is used to adhere the mineral surfacing to the metal panels? [mentioned in a test report on the website under technical]
I am not a materials science or application guy, and really have no idea if this material combination is good or bad in this application.

Some building materials take awhile to fail, and my gut is saying that this may be the weak link, although it would likely only be cosmetic, as the galv-alum coated steel would last a good while by itself.

[sorry if this is OT]
I was with a Megacorp (not Certainteed) that made building materials including asphalt roofing and shingles (big player). They also had a premium line of fiberglass shakes & tiles, short lived. I was not involved in roofing contracting or other types of roofing, so no info on acrylic adhesives, sorry...

Last edited:
This comment isn't exactly in line with the OP's question but we are in the process of replacing a Certainteed roof that was defective and only lasted 15 years. There is a class action settlement and we submitted a claim that was paid. If you have a Certainteed roof that is failing it is worthwhile filing a claim

bld999 failed to mention the other nemesis of roofs in our area... moss.

bld999 said:
Man, you got it, I guess I'm so used to seeing it, I think that's what roofs look like....:facepalm:

Tis the season to find that "forbidden" chemical at COSCO. ; )

All info is second hand, so take it for what it is...

When I was looking to move, I saw a house with a metal roof... the RE agent pointed it out to try and make the house more appealing.... but the roof was not level... I went into the attic and they just put the roof on top of wood shanks... to me that was a bad job...

My BIL worked for a roofing company for a few years (he was in construction for decades, this was at the end of his career)... I had said that I wanted to put 40 year shingles on my roof... he said 'don't waste the money, they are the same as 30 year'... I did not go with 40....

Back when I was young, I put on a roof of my parents house... we used 20 year shingles... which lasted about 15.... this was on top of wood shanks... my dad died and my mom live there when it needed a new roof... a couple of the sisters and BILs said 'put on another 20 year roof, she will not live here that long.... well, that roof did not last that long and she needed another roof!!! We just let it get worse as the house was not worth much and we thought.... how is water going to get through 3 layers of roof:confused:

We sold her house to one of those people who buy ugly houses... and it was UGLY....

This topic is interesting to me as I was looking at our roof earlier today and was thinking that we are going to need to replace it in the next year or so... so keep the comments coming :flowers:

I would consider Solar and skip the metal roof.:
Solar Power Shingles are a wonderful approach to harness endless, environmentally friendly solar power for producing free electricity.
They look like regular roof (asphalt) shingles, which have a special photovoltaic substance in the form of a thin film on the top, with ability to transform solar radiation (light) directly into electricity.

As any other roof tiles they blend with the roof in the best possible way and they certainly don't ruin the aesthetic value of the building.
Solar Power Shingles -Tiles

I just decided on asphalt roof repear lacement. Current roof was installed a few months after I bought the house in 1993. At that time I had 20 year shingles installed. It cost $3.6k back then. The price this time is $9.9k for 25 yr shingles. Same contractor as before. I am also having a ridge vent installed to replace the two nonfunctional electric vents.
This thread gave me timely advice as I was considering a metal roof. The big drawback to the metal roof is the attenuation of cell phone radio waves. That and the simple corrugated metal roof would be $6k more and a standing seam metal roof would be $2k more than that.

The asphalt shingles have held up well through 19 years of annual hail storms.:)

Last edited:
The big drawback to the metal roof is the attenuation of cell phone radio waves.

If this is a major issue you can buy a cell phone repeater for about $300-$400 that will fix the problem. The antenna goes up in any window with good reception. As a bonus, the power output by your cell phone will be reduced a lot, which increases battery life (and reduces any RF health concerns not already addressed by my tin foil hat)

If this is a major issue you can buy a cell phone repeater for about $300-$400 that will fix the problem. The antenna goes up in any window with good reception. As a bonus, the power output by your cell phone will be reduced a lot, which increases battery life (and reduces any RF health concerns not already addressed by my tin foil hat)

Or something called a femtocell, which is a tiny transmitter that uses a broadband internet connection to connect to the telco network. You end up with your own personal cell. Keep the hat on though, they're in style these days. <G>

Finally received the first quotes:
Asphalt - $12,400. High quality shingles, identical in appearance to the current roof. Limited lifetime warranty including 130 MPH wind warranty!
Metal - $39,000. Steel shakes with 50 year warranty including 120 MPH wind warranty.
I understand that beyond 20 or so years the warranties are more or less meaningless, but thought I would include the information anyway.

Both quotes were lower than I had estimated using online calculators. Asphalt actually MUCH lower. I will be getting at least one more quote for each asphalt and metal, but it is really starting to look like at 3x cost metal will not be a good investment.

Finally received the first quotes:
Asphalt - $12,400. High quality shingles, identical in appearance to the current roof. Limited lifetime warranty including 130 MPH wind warranty!
Metal - $39,000. Steel shakes with 50 year warranty including 120 MPH wind warranty.
I understand that beyond 20 or so years the warranties are more or less meaningless, but thought I would include the information anyway.

Both quotes were lower than I had estimated using online calculators. Asphalt actually MUCH lower. I will be getting at least one more quote for each asphalt and metal, but it is really starting to look like at 3x cost metal will not be a good investment.
I'd seriously consider metal at 2x knowing I might actually live to break even, but at 3x+ I just couldn't do it either. I was curious how your story ended, so thanks for the update.

You state that you may only live in your house another 25-30 years. Do you really know what you will want 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years from now? You seem to be basing your decision on the premise that you know for sure that you'll be staying there for a long, long time. Nobody really knows what the future might bring.

If it were me, I'd definitely go with the asphalt shingles which will be $26, 600 less than the metal roof. To do otherwise you'd be betting too much on your attitude toward the house at some very distant future date. Who can really predict what you'll be thinking many years from now. As someone else stated, you'll never recoup your investment on a resale in the much more expensive metal roof.

I don't know if I would bet on the metal roof. I have steel siding on my house that is 30 years old and the siding came with a 40 year paint warranty against fade, peel or other weather related problems. I went to check on the warranty on one end of my house where the paint faded from the sun and guess what? I couldn't find anyone to honor the warranty. when I bought the siding it was produced by US Steel, but was sold off to another manufacturer who is now out of business. goodbye warranty.

Can you link the estimator programs:confused:

The issue partly depends on how often hailstorms hit. Recall that insurance companies are moving to 1% of the policy limit deductables on hail and the like. So If you figure that you will be out of pocket at a minimum the deductable, it can be a large amount. How often has your roof or neighbors roof been replaced over the last 30 years? That is the critical number in the analysis. Figure at each replacement to pay the deductable at least. Then take the hail resistant roof discount, you can do the costing.
In summary it depends on the frequency of hail and wind storms where you live. (of course if you get the right metal roof it can reduce a/c loads as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom