Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only have my cards set up for email notification. Is it necessary to have text notification too?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Over the years, we have had fraudulent charges on our AmEx cards about 3 or 4 times. Each time, AmEx spotted it before we did, and called us to see if it was really our charge. And they always asked us to verify that the card was still physically with us, although they always canceled it and issued a new one. In 3 cases, we suspected it was due to some crook at the vendor we last used the card at, but of course we had no proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
On a gift card isn't Discover likely to just not reimburse PayPal for the bogus charge? Since it is a PayPal gift card, with a gift card number won't PayPal just void out the gift cards. Otherwise it could even be an internal PayPal fraud.
As this was detected right away, Discover would contact the vendor immediately, and I don't think the gift cards were even sent out.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

The gift cards were e-mailed. The emails I received from PayPal show what address the cards were e-mailed to. I called PayPal myself as soon as I was off the phone with Discover. The girl in the fraud department said she had never seen anything like this. She said they get a lot of fraud but don't usually do anything about it. She escalated this while on the phone with me. Then I got 47 emails from PayPal letting me know it was escalated since they treat each charge as a separate event. It was the lady at PayPal that told me they were going to escalate this to the federal level.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #44

Even if they were emailed, the unique gift card number can simply be cancelled....The question is how many of them got used before this happened. There is no way the scammer didn't know this would set off lots of alarm bells. Not exactly flying under the radar.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

It does not work in every case, but we have been primarily cash customers for years, esp. For gasoline and restaurants. DW monitors our few CC'S constantly as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
The gift cards were e-mailed. The emails I received from PayPal show what address the cards were e-mailed to. I called PayPal myself as soon as I was off the phone with Discover. The girl in the fraud department said she had never seen anything like this. She said they get a lot of fraud but don't usually do anything about it. She escalated this while on the phone with me. Then I got 47 emails from PayPal letting me know it was escalated since they treat each charge as a separate event. It was the lady at PayPal that told me they were going to escalate this to the federal level.

Good to know it warranted escalation!

So it did happen in your PayPal account? It wasn't just a Discover issue?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I only have my cards set up for email notification. Is it necessary to have text notification too?
No. Email can be just as timely. It depends how you prefer your notifications. If you don't check your email often, you might prefer texts.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Good to know it warranted escalation!

So it did happen in your PayPal account? It wasn't just a Discover issue?
It appears it happened with my E-bay account. They bought the gift cards on E-bay which is linked to PayPal which is linked to my Discover Card. What a mess!

This all happened Friday morning and I received my new Discover Card by FedEx on Saturday! All charges have been removed from my Discover Card. I can also see on PayPal where they are working through the charges. About half say "Under Review" and the other half say "Closed". I also received an email from PayPal advising me that all charges on my account will be reversed and that my credit card will be made whole.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 02-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, and altogether, starting with the first email alerting me to the "purchase" of the gift cards, I have received 249 emails from E-bay, PayPal and Discover in regard to this situation
Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
It appears it happened with my E-bay account. They bought the gift cards on E-bay which is linked to PayPal which is linked to my Discover Card. What a mess!

This all happened Friday morning and I received my new Discover Card by FedEx on Saturday! All charges have been removed from my Discover Card. I can also see on PayPal where they are working through the charges. About half say "Under Review" and the other half say "Closed". I also received an email from PayPal advising me that all charges on my account will be reversed and that my credit card will be made whole.
Wow - so it was your eBay account that was hacked! Ouch!

I guess someone doesn't have to enter a PayPal password to use it when logged into their eBay account?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

eBay keeps offering to link my eBay account with my PayPal account for one-click shopping, and I keep saying no.

I have a different password for each.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, it's been so long since I've been on eBay I couldn't tell you. I haven't bought anything from there for about 4 or 5 years. I tried to close it yesterday but due to all the investigation going on I wasn't able to do so. I will not be setting up my new card with them!

Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Please beware of a phishing scam similar to one of those mentioned above using the Square Logo. I received an email from Square alerting me to a customer complaint and chargeback so without thinking I clicked the very real looking Square login tab. When I got to my square account and found no such chargeback I emailed the original sender without looking at the address I was emailing and my email came back as a undeliverable email. It finally dawned on me that I had been scammed. Tried to call Square but they are only open during business hours (big help). When I finally got through to them they said I had been pfished, change my login info. I had already changed it within a couple of minutes of realizing I was an idiot.
I promise to never click on another login unless I go to the companies official website.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No. Email can be just as timely. It depends how you prefer your notifications. If you don't check your email often, you might prefer texts.
I was just in another country, and had told the CC I would be there as I wanted to use the CC for "no foreign transaction fee" purchases (thanks to another thread).

So the card worked fine as I used the powerful USD for gas, food, etc.
But then I went and bought a $800 item over the phone from a store I had been in, and it was declined, and declined again after I confirmed the number.

Turned out the CC company thought it was fraud, and had denied it, and phoned me at home, which is no help since I had told them I was out of the country..

But at least they were looking for fraud Next time on a trip, I'll phone them before a big purchase to make sure it will work.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #55

Other than alerts and notifications there is nothing that can be done to stop these fraudulent transactions other than not using your CC. In most cases the bank is liable for these fraudulent transactions and not you.

But if you want to prevent your identity from being stolen which is much more serious you have to freeze your credit reports with all bureaus. At a cost of $5 to $10 per bureau it is the most effective way to insure no accounts are opened in your name without your authorization.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
Curious... what is the best defense to this? Seems the normal advice is always just to do your part to hide your information, but these days it can get hacked or leaked even if you are diligent. I spent some time researching LifeLock and wasn't impressed enough with their services to sign up. Maybe I should?
I have a multi-pronged approach to this but it is fairly simple and I loose no sleep over this:

- purchase "credit-freezes" at all three credit bureaus. I think it was $10/each when I did this. At this point, no credit reports can be pulled until the freeze is lifted by you. (note: law enforcement and several others will still have access so "no reports" is a bit qualified)

- understand the liability/protections that you have under Federal Law for different types of accounts (Bank, credit card etc) such as this. Be sure to fulfill your obligations in the event of a breach to limit your liability.

Occasionally I will get a phone call and/or email from CC processor seeking if I made a suspicious charge. I have never been stuck with any fraudulent bills.

One other trick that I use is that I have a CC with barclays. They offer separate card numbers for other authorized users on the account. I then have only one number that I register with any online accounts. That way if a card that I use (with a separate number) in the Doctors Office, Restaurant, Gas Station etc is compromised, it will not effect the one that I have registered at all the online stores etc.

Also, since medical offices are a place where major ID theft takes place (think low wages plus access to info), I generally avoid giving a SS number whenever possible. If required I will write it on a post-it separate from the hardcopy paper and ask them to destroy the post-it after the info is entered into the computer for security sake.

You may also want to e-file your Federal/State tax returns early each year. If you use your SS # then nobody will be able to use it to file a fraudulent return using your info after you have filed. The first return accepted blocks future attempts for that tax year. AARP TaxAide volunteers will prepare/file your tax return for free each year in almost all cases and are trained on this.

-gauss
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
eBay keeps offering to link my eBay account with my PayPal account for one-click shopping, and I keep saying no.

I have a different password for each.
+1
Old 02-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I was in the opm thing and the opm second thing and the home depot thing and .... and .... Right now I am getting reports from multiple watch programs set up by a variety of entities. That's scary enough but these "lifelock" types always say they will spend up to $1M dollars to solve a problem. So you get into trouble and one week later someone declares the $1M is spent and no results - tough luck. OR what
I think the $1M applies only to accounts that are already insured (ie FDIC bank accounts). I know that it didn't apply to the specific risks that I was concerned about (ie theft of retirement account money).

Make sure you aren't paying for the same thing twice (ie once explicitly via LifeLock and once implicitly via the rates we pay on CC charges etc.).

I also never use a PIN on a debit card used outside of an ATM - needless risk IMHO.

I would also not be the first one to get a true Chip/PIN card (ie United Nations Credit Union). Seems counter-intuitive at first, but it's too easy for the bank to claim that you must have leaked the PIN and been responsible even if the PIN is compromised on the back end as has been demonstrated.

-gauss
Old 02-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #59

We set up Fraud Alert with USAA several years ago. Anything over a buck triggers it. Interesting this is it only triggers on completed transactions and not pending. You would think they could save a buck or two if they sent the alert when things went pending.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We set up Fraud Alert with USAA several years ago. Anything over a buck triggers it. Interesting this is it only triggers on completed transactions and not pending. You would think they could save a buck or two if they sent the alert when things went pending.
That's why I have the email alert sent from my credit cards - most of them support this. If a charge is made without the card present or from overseas, I get an email as soon as it is made - like a few seconds! While still pending, of course.

Wouldn't you know a recent charge occurred on the one card I have that doesn't support this feature! I lucked into discovering that while it was still pending. Fidelity AMEX.

My "real" American Express cards, Chase cards, and BofA cards all support the instant charge notification.

I think of the Fraud Alert services as something that helps notify and clean up after the fact. Not good for detecting credit card fraud in a timely manner.