I was nervous that first day nearly 37 years ago.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am sure I was nervous that first day nearly 37 years ago. I was always nervous. It seemed like everyone was better than me. I remember the scene. Megabank started people in waves - we, the newly hired, all went to security together to have our pictures taken. When it was my turn they flipped down the background behind me to a solid gold one. I returned to the group and someone said ‘oh you are an officer’. Immediately somehow I was different - I felt like I had been acussed of being a comunist . I can tell you what really mattered: 4 glorious weeks vacation - now 5. Then there was pretty young lady in HR who “bridged my service” at a subsidiary. At the time I didn’t realize how that would make me eligible for vesting into a host of lucrative benefits. Pension, profit sharing and savings matching it was lucrative. I didn’t say it then but i say it now Bless you pretty lady.

I was immediately informed of the rules - you couldn’t walk past the elevator with your suit jacket off. The elevator door might open and a customer might see you in shirt sleeves- heaven forbid! You had to wear your jacket to enjoy the white glove glove service of officers dining room and that deadly desert cart. There was the resultant 20lbs I gained. And oh there were those countless late nights.

Now there are more rules, less prestige and far fewer benefits but there are like goodies like blue jeans everyday (I do love them), working from home and the calm that comes from being on the green on 18th.

I give notice in three short weeks. I cant help but wonder what adventures await?

Last edited:
In 3 weeks, you make the work rules.

Ray,

A pity that all the big names in Philadelphia banks (that I remember from the 1970s) now long gone. Girard, First Pennsylvania, Fidelity, PSFS and others. :-(

Oh how I would love to go back and work through the 80’s and 90’s.

Back
Top Bottom