Ideas needed for part time income

Zoocat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi all,
I thought I throw this out to cyberspace in hopes of getting some ideas for generating some more part-time income. I already have a free-lance job that generates about $8000 net. But I'd like to double that. The money will be dedicated to my travel habit. Here are the criteria that the work must meet:

1. Be flexible as far as schedule (so I can travel at a moment's notice)
2. Prefer to work at home not in an office or store, etc., so that I can control my work schedule.

My background is college English teaching but I don't want to do any more freelance writing, editing, or tutoring. :p

It's ok if the work and income is not steady. I can deal with inconsistency. But the payoff has to be worth the effort.

Selling on ebay is attractive to me but I don't know what I could sell that would have sufficient profit.

Any and all ideas welcome!!!

Easier to provide advice if you can define what you would rather do other than the skill sets you already have in teaching English. Otherwise I'd say you could write ad copy, grade papers, do test prep, that sort of stuff.

Selling on ebay appears to be pretty dreary work. Whatever junk you're able to foist off on some unsuspecting buyer needs to be purchased, stored, prepared for mailing, sent off--and then some of it will come back, disgruntled buyers, inventories, and all the admin--nasty.

Rather than specific advice, my recommendation is to pursue some activity that you'd already do now for nothing. You like woodworking? Maybe furniture repair, light carpentry, handyman type work. A reliable "part time husband" around here makes a mint, and if you already have the tools you're golden. Perhaps one of the sports you're into, or one of your hobbies.

Volunteer, or parlay your volunteer work into part time cash. What I've found is that volunteer work often turns into a money making proposition once the organization appreciates your skills and what you can bring to the organization, or can point you in the direction that you didn't realize you wanted to go.

Thanks, deepc. I don't have any lucrative hobbies or skills except the writing/teaching skill set. I'd like to do something creative, like flower arrangements for events.

Maybe I should also ask: if you have a part-time business, would you mind sharing what it is? I'm really fishing for ideas.

I sell on ebay and it is not as easy as it once was but it is still profitable . The trick to avoid having the dregs of ebay bothering you is to sell a high quality item . My cousin who sells Polo items taught me how to do it . I really do not want to reveal my secrets over the internet but if you are interested PM me and I'll tell all . I do as much and as little as I want and except for occasionally it is hassle free . I could easily make more doing part time nursing but this is more fun .

I hate to say but the free lance editing, writing and tutoring is probably the most flexible and most lucrative as you have an expertise you can sell.

I did some poking around for similar ideas. I came to the conclusion that I have expertise as a lawyer and if I want to earn a the most money for the least effort the best way to do it is as a lawyer. I focused in on a couple of things I liked to do and shopped my old clients and firm for projects when I fell like earning some money. I earn my trip money this way too.

I know, I know. I understand exactly what you all are saying. I earned $500 editing a thesis this fall and it was ok work for the money. Maybe I will end up trying to drum up more editing work but I REALLY don't want to for several reasons. It's time consuming to compete for clients and there are A LOT of other editor/writers in the marketplace. It's very competitive and that, consequently, drives down the hourly rate you can charge. It sounds like a fairly easy way to make money if one has the skills, but it really isn't.

My background is college English teaching
Thanks, deepc. I don't have any lucrative hobbies or skills except the writing/teaching skill set.
I hate to say but the free lance editing, writing and tutoring is probably the most flexible and most lucrative as you have an expertise you can sell.
I know quite a few retired educators, who do a little substitute teaching at the local schools just for the extra spending money. They let it be known what school districts and/or schools that they prefer or that they refuse to go to. Some sub 1 or 2 days a week, some 1 or 2 days a month. All of the ones that I've talked to really enjoy it. There is one that is willing to sub at any school in the area, except there's one school that doesn't have A/C and he will only go there from October through April. :D
I'd like to do something creative, like flower arrangements for events.
Could you work part time at a florist's shop, perhaps?
Getting part time work at a flower shop could be easy! Around here, the florists are always swamped around the holidays.....Easter, Christmas, Valentines Day, etc. And also around Prom time and Homecoming time at all the various high schools in the area. Also, the greenhouses and garden centers are a good place to look, as they get swamped at various times of the year...especially Spring and Summer! Locally, the florist and the greenhouses hire extra temp help whenever they need it.

there's always this:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

In my area, pet sitters make pretty good money. I have a good friend who does this and she loves it. She sets her own hours and enjoys the time taking care of the cats, dogs, and other critters she cares for. It's also a good way to get some fresh air and exercise.

As Martha said, exploiting your skills will result in the highest dollar per hour return. If that isn't important, find something you enjoy. I always thought it would be fun to work in a quilt shop or do taxes for H&R Block or pet sit, but the pay per hour doesn't come close to working in my own field. Also, the hours on most of these jobs would be a lot less flexible than freelance writing/editing.

Urk, bbbamI, she wants to make money, not suffer!

:D

ta,
mews

Most of the authors I know ended up working for slightly above minimum wage...
Even when there books were reasonably well received.

I started clearing out my bookshelves and put about 70 books on sale on Amazon.com. They send out payments every two weeks. In one month, they sent me about $500.00 but I expect that most of what is left won't sell. It's very easy to list an item as no photos are required for books, CDs, videos, etc. Textbooks do very well especially at the beginning of a semester like now. SO looks for textbooks for me to sell and has found a few, in free boxes.

Edit to add: notary

Last edited:
Thanks, deepc. I don't have any lucrative hobbies or skills except the writing/teaching skill set. I'd like to do something creative, like flower arrangements for events.

Maybe I should also ask: if you have a part-time business, would you mind sharing what it is? I'm really fishing for ideas.

Are you a good organizer? Could you become a wedding planner? Or.......make funeral wreaths?

I started clearing out my bookshelves and put about 70 books on sale on Amazon.com. They send out payments every two weeks. In one month, they sent me about $500.00 but I expect that most of what is left won't sell. It's very easy to list an item as no photos are required for books, CDs, videos, etc. Textbooks do very well especially at the beginning of a semester like now. SO looks for textbooks for me to sell and has found a few, in free boxes.

Edit to add: notary

I also sell books on Amazon . It keeps my bookshelves organized and allows me to read new releases at paperback prices .

Are you a good organizer? Could you become a wedding planner? Or.......make funeral wreaths?

Funeral wreaths? LOL!

I am thinking of taking more photography courses. I'd love to be a wedding photographer. But I'd need to buy a good SLR digital.

there's always this:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

All right! How much could I make? I'm at least as good looking as that Italian oldbabe! The young guys seem to be enjoying it. But maybe that's an Italian thing. You know how they love their mamas!

Okay, I know you said no teaching or tutoring, but: What about teaching English abroad? I haven't checked the market recently, but the pay in Korea used to be okay, lots of college students did it for a few months in the summer, and all the students wanted was an American with good grammar who was patient. They already know how to speak rudimentary English, they want to converse with someone. Your background as an English teacher is icing on the cake.

Best of all, you could combine your desire to travel with earning some dough. I'll bet a lot of families would let you stay in their home for free if you'd talk with their kids for ten hours a week, and you'd have the rest of your day to teach other kids, see the sights, etc. It would be a way to take in much more of the culture than is possible in a typical package tour.

Back
Top Bottom