If you could move your family anywhere. . .

Whitefish, MT
Park City, UT
Boulder, CO
Sun Valley, ID
Flagstaff, AZ
Paradise Valley, AZ
Lake Tahoe (Nevada side)

All are on the expensive side but surrounded by natural beauty. I think whether you find them down to earth, however, would depend a lot on your choice of neighborhood.

My DW and I are strongly considering moving from an increasingly over-crowded major metro in the SE. We have 2 kids in early elementary school.

We are easily FI (in the same club as Hesperus), so a job is not a priority, although I am not opposed to a PT gig in my field.

We are looking for an area that is down-to-earth, has great schools, very low crime and is family-friendly.

We are open to almost anywhere but think Florida and California are out for various reasons.

We would love some suggestions of places to consider. TYIA!

So much depends on your preferences and your tastes, etc.

That said, we kinda did this back in 2000. We had been living in Silicon Valley and the place was just getting too crowded, fast passed, expensive, etc. The key point for us was that DS was just about to start kindergarten and we didn't like the public schools and private was too expensive for us. So it was an optimum time to move.

He moved to the Columbus, Ohio area. I'm from Ohio originally (not Columbus) and Columbus is arguable the nicest larger city in Ohio so it had our attention. Their are a number of suburban school districts that are quite excellent. Bexley, New Albany, Upper Arlington, Olentangy. DS is now in grad school doing very well.

We live in a quiet neighborhood in a nice house we couldn't afford back in California. It's a neighborhood, but we have woods out back and lots of critters to make life interesting. Neighbors are very friendly and there is lots of good shopping, restaurants, and so one close by.

Lets see (checking your criteria). There's very little crime and it defines family friendly.

It's still easy to get out. Most of the east coast and Midwest is a days drive away and we love Columbus airport - decent connections and very few long lines.

Finally, there's traffic here, but I often chuckle when people complain about it given the horrendous traffic I suffered through in the Bay Area. There's actually a "rush hour" here that's about that long.

Oh yeah, four seasons. That was something is missed ALOT in California. Here the seasons aren't extreme and never is very hot or very cold for too long. Perfect if you like the rhythm of the seasons.

Last edited:
If you are a member of the 8 figure club do you really need to limit yourself to 1 location?

Any rich Dallas are suburbs will fit the bill, especially Lucas, Fairfield, Highland Village.

We lived near West Chester, PA and I think it would meet the criteria you outlined. Personally we were happy to move back to CA but the area was down-to-earth and very family oriented.

Burlington Vermont area meets the listed requirements. There are downsides however - real winters (though kids seem to love that) and high taxes.

We moved our family here (I grew up here) from Silicon Valley when the kids were starting school. It has been a great place to raise a family. Tight communities, good schools (see taxes comment above), beautiful, and not too crowded. Good luck.

I wonder if there is anyplace in the US, any more, that is truly low in crime. I'd love to live in a mid sized city (in a warm climate) where I could walk outside at any time of day or night, leave my doors unlocked, and so on. I don't think that such a place exists.

You'll never believe this, but it's true: When I was a kid in Kailua, Hawaii, most houses did not even have locks installed in the doors. So people couldn't even lock their houses if they wanted to, which they didn't. Crime was that low. I used to walk around by myself after dark freely. Kailua isn't that way any more, though.

Crime in New Orleans is over the top. I think this is one of the worst places for crime in the country, so this is not a good place for Travelwanted to live. I think crime is the only thing that could drive us away from here. Someday it might, although we can tolerate it for now.

I wonder if there is anyplace in the US, any more, that is truly low in crime. I'd love to live in a mid sized city (in a warm climate) where I could walk outside at any time of day or night, leave my doors unlocked, and so on. I don't think that such a place exists.

You'll never believe this, but it's true: When I was a kid in Kailua, Hawaii, most houses did not even have locks installed in the doors. So people couldn't even lock their houses if they wanted to, which they didn't. Crime was that low. I used to walk around by myself after dark freely. Kailua isn't that way any more, though.

Crime in New Orleans is over the top. I think this is one of the worst places for crime in the country, so this is not a good place for Travelwanted to live. I think crime is the only thing that could drive us away from here. Someday it might, although we can tolerate it for now.

You'll need to move to Switzerland or Japan.

"low congestion, down-to-earth, family friendly and low crime "

in Boise

Try checking out Idaho schools at or near the bottom of the pack in EVERY category. I don't consider that family friendly.

Depends what you mean by low in crime..no crime not possible..there are many small towns in MN that fit that category. I agree it's very unlikely to find that in a mid-sized city in great part due to rising drug problems.

Try checking out Idaho schools at or near the bottom of the pack in EVERY category. I don't consider that family friendly.

some are, but the ones my friends' kids go to are great

most of my friends deliberately (i.e. without any ties) moved to idaho from places such as houston, missouri, seattle, portland, california and the east coast to raise their kids here

Last edited:
some are, but the ones my friends' kids go to are great

most of my friends deliberately (i.e. without any ties) moved to idaho from places such as houston, missouri, seattle, portland, california and the east coast to raise their kids here

Idaho ranks 49 in per pupil spending..that number speaks for itself.

I can't imagine living anywhere but the San Francisco Bay Area. For very obvious reasons pointed out even more by what's going on in the Midwest and the South due to weather & social temperament. We do have crime in my small town however. After all we did have a murder around 10 years ago and we've had 2 breakins in town so far this year. But if I lived somewhere else I'd have to remember to lock in my front door

Last edited:
I smell bacon!

Are you suggesting this is political or OT...the original poster mentioned school quality and per pupil spending is a common yardstick...you're making me paranoid....but talking about bacon is definitely OT:D

Are you suggesting this is political or OT...the original poster mentioned school quality and per pupil spending is a common yardstick...you're making me paranoid....but talking about bacon is definitely OT:D

potentially political - I'll retract the bacon comment as long as you aren't hating on Idaho just cause

:LOL:

potentially political - I'll retract the bacon comment as long as you aren't hating on Idaho just cause

:LOL:

I actually love Idaho, the people are awesome. My niece was a teacher there for over 15 years and quit teaching because of quality issues.

Check out SW Oregon. I've only vacationed there. Don't know about family-friendly.

Back
Top Bottom